Franchise Tag: Demarcus Lawrence & the Salary Cap

StarBoyz83

Reaction score

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WATCH THE PERSONAL ATTACKS OR YOU WILL BE BOOTED FROM THIS THREAD.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry has got to come at this as a businessman and his loyalty to certain players has to stop
first case is Jason Witten I love the guy but I rewatched some tape and he's just not effective at all even in blocking he's so slow he doesn't get to his blocks a lot of the time I know some players don't want to go but sometimes management has to make the right call.
Next Dez has to take a huge cut or he's got to go
I think DT and wide receiver R2 top priorities going into the draft I think we can get a good wide receiver in the first and even if we have to move up a little bit in the second there should be a good DT left on the board.
A deal can be worked out with D mark and we have room so we don't have to back load it we can actually front load it a little bit after 2 years if he's good keep him if not cut him loose.
Don't trade our left tackle.
Out of the coaches that they're getting rid of so far I can't believe we're keeping our OL coach.
It seems like besides Wilson we're getting rid of all the good ones and keeping the garbage go figure.

We're keeping Scott Linehan who called three pass plays from the 3-yard line not to mention numerous other screwed up offensive play calls
Or Rod Marinelli whose defenses were out-coached by good offenses in every single game this year.

rkell87

Reaction score
Under no circumstances should the Cowboys put the franchise tag on Demarcus Lawrence. As great as Lawrence was for us this season it would be financial maleficence to tag him with a contract near 20 million for the year.

You're talking about a player who missed for one reason or another 16 games in a 64 game period and is known to have back issues. You're also talking about a player who has only really shown up for more than one full year.

Is he likely to show up again in a contract tagged year? My guess is yes, but my argument is that even if he were to show up and stay healthy, the cost associated with it makes no sense.

If you want to sign him long-term, do so (but I wouldn't do that either). None of these double-digit defensive ends are winning super bowls for a reason. While they are the best defensive ends in the league, they aren't good enough to impact plays consistently enough to make their team win and win big, nor are they able to stay healthy enough.

Please imagine for instance 18 or so million dollars sitting on the bench due to an injury (see JJ Watt) and what impact that has on the rest of the team, rather than having 3-5 really really good players with salaries ranging from 5-6 million each, hell even two 9 million dollar players helps spread the risk to a significant degree better than lumping it all into one player who as I said before hasn't even shown up consistently. It's a recipe to get burnt.

The Patriots have two players who earn double-digit salaries. Brady and an elite CB that was drafted in the 1st round, and who they took away from their division rivals. A young veteran whose contract they can get out of within 3 or 4 years if they have to. His average salary is only 13 million. Nowhere near the 17-19 million, it will take to franchise Lawrence.

I mentioned players who make 5-6 million each being a better investment. Guess how many players the Patriots pay over 5 million dollars? 10 guys...

Even without Romo (1) on the active roster, he cost us 9 million dollars this year. Even without paying for an elite QB on the active roster we have two players in the double digits, Tyrone Smith (2) and Dez Bryant (3).

Without Romo, Bryant is worthless. Cutting him saves 8.5 million next year and 16.5 million the year after. You've lost the chance to trade him but you do need to cut him at this point.

I'm actually stunned the Cowboys haven't tried to trade Smith while they can. I'm stunned they didn't use this awful year as a signal that real change needed to happen and started fairly fresh (great time to get rid of Garrett and refocus on a growing talent pool on defense). Smith is only 27 years old, but 7 years pro. I wonder if Smith is going to get healthier as he gets older? I'm doubtful. When was the last time we got a 1st round draft pick for a player? How about a 2nd? or a 3rd? The Cowboys never get value for top talented players. They just wait until they wither away on our salary cap.

Tyrone Crawford (4) costs us 9 million a year and hasn't so much as sniffed a pro bowl. One of the worst contracts in the Jason Garrett era, and like Carr we have never tried to move on from it.

Sean Lee (5) costs 7 million a year and is worth every penny when he is on the field... We need to draft a linebacker high and start preparing for life after Lee. We need to move Lee back to middle linebacker and move Jaylon to the weak side. Let Hitchens walk. We should probably draft two linebackers within the first five picks next year.

Jason Witten (6) makes 7.4 million and has never been a true red zone threat. He had less than 600 yards receiving this year and only 5 TDs... But I guess we're paying him for his "leadership".

Ezekiel Elliott (7) is one of the best players in the league. A true game changer in my opinion. I lobbied hard for us to draft him and don't regret it. At the time though, I was making the argument as an extension of Romo's career. With Dak (and not to make this about Dak) I don't see our offense being robust enough to warrant a 1st round (top 5 pick) running back. Until teams are afraid of Dak's arm, we're never going to see how good Elliott could be.

La'el Collins (8) was extended after the team saw him play RT in the offseason. I'm not saying this was a bad idea, but along the same lines of paying so much for Elliott (draft and cap wise) we're now saying we're going to have an elite offensive line, but an average offense? This smacks in the face of common sense. Now we're in a position where we have no choice but to pay Martin, who is probably our best healthy lineman.

I'm sure it won't be popular, but I say you let Lawrence (9?) walk and let someone else give him his big payday and instead pick up the comp pick. Draft a defensive end in the first round and trade up if you have to, to get the right guy. Then you hope that Taco Charlton wasn't the boneheaded draft choice I think he was and pair the two together for the next 4 years.

While he costs less than 5 million dollars, we can't even cut Terrance Williams until 2019 because his contract is all guaranteed money up front.

So to sum up the cap mismanagement:
1. 8 players making over 5 million dollars
2. 6 of the 8 players all play on offense.
3. Of the 8, 7 have red flags.
4. Of the 2 players on defense, both have red flags.
5. There is someone out there that thinks it would be a good idea to have a 9th, who will actually become the best-paid player on the team?

Off season suggestions
1. Fire Garrett and Linehan and the entire offensive coaching staff (not happening).
2. Cut Dez Bryant (probably not happening).
3. Trade Tyron Smith, his cap hit gets MUCH smaller as it goes, so hopefully, we could still get some really good value here. Major cap hit for moving him now. Hopefully for a 1st or 2nd.
4. Do everyone a favor (himself included) and cut Jason Witten. Promote Hanna and Swaim, hopefully, get something from Gathers.
5. Take the major hit and cut Tyrone Crawford now. Sign a free agent NT in free agency. Would like to look at Dontari Poe.
6. Cut Orlando Scandrick. Move Byron Jones to cornerback. Inquire about Earl Thomas.
7. Do everyone a favor and trade Cole Beasley (himself included) to the 49ers, hopefully for a 3rd. Promote Switzer.
8. Inquire about re-signing Jonathan Cooper at a decent price.
9. Sign Michael Crabtree once he is cut.

2018 Draft Priorities
1. DE
2. T (if Tyron Smith is moved)
3. LB (2x)
4. QB
5. S
6. WR

Chidobe Awuzie - Earl Thomas - Kavon Frazier or Rookie Safety - Jourdan Lewis - Byron Jones (flex)
Jaylon Smith - Sean Lee - Rookie LB (flex)
Rookie DE - Maliek Collins/David Irving - Dontari Poe - Taco Charlton
I like a lot of what you said but why wouldn't you offer dez and Tyron to Seattle for Thomas in your scenario? Your break down is on point but your off season plan is a mess.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
2017 Defensive End Cash Rankings

PLAYER
CASH

Jason Pierre-Paul
DEFENSIVE END $22,500,000
Myles Garrett
DEFENSIVE END $20,723,004
Solomon Thomas
DEFENSIVE END $19,080,903
Michael Bennett
DEFENSIVE END $15,500,000
Calais Campbell
DEFENSIVE END $15,000,000

Olivier Vernon $85,000,000 $17,000,000
Jason Pierre-Paul $62,000,000 $15,500,000
Calais Campbell $60,000,000 $15,000,000
Everson Griffen $58,000,000 $14,500,000
Cameron Jordan $55,000,000 $11,000,000

Maybe this was last year?

vaturkey

Reaction score
You're not paying attention... or can't do math.

I'm not advocating signing scrubs here. Apparently, you only understand extremes. There are quite a few quality free agents out there that we should be looking at.

Agree with should, but that's not in Jerry's DNA the last 3 years or so. We overevaluate and overpay those who currently on the team and that is why we are for the most part stuck in neutral. I understand the concept of not overpaying, but think we could have won an extra game or two if we had signed Bowman instead of letting him go to Oakland? There are things to do that just aren't done here and considering this is the richest franchise in the world, it would make sense there would be a desire to pull the trigger when its time to pull the trigger. We seem to have a tendency to keep players for 2 years longer then we should. I'm not sure anyone in the league would sign Witten if he was cut or if they did it would be for the NFL minimum or close to it.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Agree with should, but that's not in Jerry's DNA the last 3 years or so. We overevaluate and overpay those who currently on the team and that is why we are for the most part stuck in neutral. I understand the concept of not overpaying, but think we could have won an extra game or two if we had signed Bowman instead of letting him go to Oakland? There are things to do that just aren't done here and considering this is the richest franchise in the world, it would make sense there would be a desire to pull the trigger when its time to pull the trigger. We seem to have a tendency to keep players for 2 years longer then we should. I'm not sure anyone in the league would sign Witten if he was cut or if they did it would be for the NFL minimum or close to it.

Great point. That's the difference between winning and losing games...Making or not making the playoffs... contending or not contending for a super bowl.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I like a lot of what you said but why wouldn't you offer dez and Tyron to Seattle for Thomas in your scenario? Your break down is on point but your off season plan is a mess.

You have to remember seattle is going to have to want to take on Dez's contract.

I would want more than Earl Thomas for Tyron Smith.

ghst187

Reaction score
I def agree with most of your points GB. I really like all of them except I would keep Bease, franchise Lawrence, and I'm not sure about Crabtree (although I think he would easily replace Dezs production IF we can get a speed/deep threat. I find your points on Tyron interesting although I hate to walk away from him without a legit replacement since finding a LT is hard.
Cutting Crawford and OScan I think are no brainers and we def need someone like Earl Thomas quaterbacking the secondary. Adding Poe to Collins, DLaw, and a stronger non-rookie Taco would have the makings of a ferocious front and dynamic backend and possibly a very stingy D.

Overall we are really close to having a complete roster and maybe even JG and Goodell won't be able to stop it from winning. I won't say we are only a player or two away but adding guys like Thomas and Poe on D, then speed and separation on O....I might start getting excited again. But we have to open the checkbook a bit. Taking the combined money we wasted to sign Carrol, Thorton, and other JAG might've paid one actually good player.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Cutting a guy we’ve waited on since Ware is a not too good idea.

Counting on and paying any player is a gamble. He’s worth the gamble.

The window closed on him and he has not shown enough consistency to warrant a contract. It's pretty simple.

rkell87

Reaction score
You have to remember seattle is going to have to want to take on Dez's contract.

I would want more than Earl Thomas for Tyron Smith.
:rolleyes:

You talk about never getting anything for our players yet straight up cut dez, scandrick, and Crawford. You also talk about adding Poe somehow after cutting crawford and accelerating his cap hit. You want earl Thomas but want more than him for the only asset you mention trading.

Seriously, a mess.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
:rolleyes:

You talk about never getting anything for our players yet straight up cut dez, scandrick, and Crawford. You also talk about adding Poe somehow after cutting crawford and accelerating his cap hit. You want earl Thomas but want more than him for the only asset you mention trading.

Seriously, a mess.

We missed the chance to get anything for any of those players.

Crawford has no future with us. Poe could fit in quite nicely for 4-5 years.

I never said anything about trading a player for Thomas...

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
It doesn't work like that.
We're in a tough situation (I hear your point about him showing up in a contract year, suspension, back issues) but that is what it will come down to right? Not trying to be smart w/ya etc., it's re-sign to a long term deal, tag, or let him hit FA. With his past, I would tag him.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
We're in a tough situation (I hear your point about him showing up in a contract year, suspension, back issues) but that is what it will come down to right? Not trying to be smart w/ya etc., it's re-sign to a long term deal, tag, or let him hit FA. With his past, I would tag him.

Do you think we're going to win the super bowl next year? y/n?

rkell87

Reaction score
We missed the chance to get anything for any of those players.

Crawford has no future with us. Poe could fit in quite nicely for 4-5 years.

I never said anything about trading a player for Thomas...
No, we haven't but we will.

No poe couldn't if even half the things you suggested happened. Seriously you terminated and accelerated the cap hit on like 200 million worth of contracts.

I know you didn't, I did for you; keep up.