Twitter: Franchise Tags around the league so far

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Man, 11m$ for all these TE’s is a hard bargain for me. So much money for above average players at a least important position.

~80 receptions and ~800 yards for Schultz is hardly “average” for a tightend. If you don’t value the position, that’s you’re on prerogative, but he’s probably a top 5-7 guys right now. Which is right where he’s being paid. If they extend him during the season they drop that cost and he’s a hell of a deal.

JustChip

Reaction score
Man, 11m$ for all these TE’s is a hard bargain for me. So much money for above average players at a least important position.
As the saying goes, that’s the price of poker these days. A new reality.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
~80 receptions and ~800 yards for Schultz is hardly “average” for a tightend. If you don’t value the position, that’s you’re on prerogative, but he’s probably a top 5-7 guys right now. Which is right where he’s being paid. If they extend him during the season they drop that cost and he’s a hell of a deal.
The problem with this thought process is that yards are great, but a TE isn't just a receiver. Again with the fantasy points. Teams need a guy who is a strong blocker. Which he's just not.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

Hey, I did say above average. You think he’s top 5-7?

Reactions: CWR

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It’s not really about the money. It’s about extending the time to be able to work out a longer term deal.
He's not that good. Offer an extension or don't. The problem with this front office it this is how they think - "It's not about the money."
Its ALL about the money. Case and point - we can't keep the better players because we over extend average ones and get no return.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The problem with this thought process is that yards are great, but a TE isn't just a receiver. Again with the fantasy points. Teams need a guy who is a strong blocker. Which he's just not.

Teams with good coaches put TEs like Schultz in position to chip and make plays from the LOS off the line.

Do they need him to be a better blocker? Absolutely.

Do they also need him for those tough yards and big third down grabs? Absolutely.

It’s not like he’s even getting top-3 money. He’s getting top-7 money. It’s chump change for a starter, really.

Its the egregious overpaying to other guys that is the issue.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Man, 11m$ for all these TE’s is a hard bargain for me. So much money for above average players at the least important position.
If it were me I'd pay my back seven on defense, the offensive line, a QB, and one WR. That's seven on defense and seven on offense. The rest of the guys can be role players. But that's just me.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Teams with good coaches put TEs like Schultz in position to chip and make plays from the LOS off the line.

Do they also need him for those tough yards and big third down grabs? Absolutely.

It’s not like he’s even getting top-3 money. He’s getting top-7 money. It’s chump change for a starter, really.

agreed top 3 TE stats , top 7 money daks qbr with him as target is tops in the league

i mean seems like an easy decision.:popcorn:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If it were me I'd pay my back seven on defense, the offensive line, a QB, and one WR. That's seven on defense and seven on offense. The rest of the guys can be role players. But that's just me.

Im all about the Dline. If they had 4 of the 5 biggest contracts on the team with the QB that’s A-okay with me.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Fully agree guy is 6'5" 260 who battles over the middle and is a safety net,

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

He's still top 10 when you factor in the blocking, probably still around top 5. There are only 3-4 guys that do both really well. But for me the question is this. Did Schultz really catch so many passes because he's that good or is he really just a solid/ average pass catcher on a team where the QB chooses to dump it off to him instead of pushing to a wide receiver? Our game plan never seems to be get it to schultz or create opportunities based off what he can do its more the qb needs to get rid of the ball quick and the wr's aren't open enough so lets dump off the ball to schultz who is a short throw away. We don't use him like travis keclie and some other TE get used, he's more safe last ditch effort to get a few yards kinda guy. And to me that is someone you replace unless they are really cheap.