Twitter: Franchise Tags around the league so far

JustChip

Reaction score
He's not that good. Offer an extension or don't. The problem with this front office it this is how they think - "It's not about the money."
Its ALL about the money. Case and point - we can't keep the better players because we over extend average ones and get no return.
He’s not Gronkowski level, but he’s probably top 10. They have nothing proven at TE after him. Jarwin needs to be waived and replaced with a draft pick. The delta on the cap hit with a FT for Schultz, Jarwin release and a mid-round TE draft pick is around 6m I believe.

FA numbers are going the same as milk, meat and most other products. Just as with Dak’s contract, which is now 25% below market as set by Rodgers, Schultz’s FT is not a bad ante to buy time to work out a longer term reasonable deal.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
~80 receptions and ~800 yards for Schultz is hardly “average” for a tightend. If you don’t value the position, that’s you’re on prerogative, but he’s probably a top 5-7 guys right now. Which is right where he’s being paid. If they extend him during the season they drop that cost and he’s a hell of a deal.
He can't block.....way to much for him

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Im all about the Dline. If they had 4 of the 5 biggest contracts on the team with the QB that’s A-okay with me.
You can draft Dline early like the Pats use to do. But don't give them that second contract, just like the Pats. They built a dynasty with that format.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You can draft Dline early like the Pats use to do. But don't give them that second contract, just like the Pats. They built a dynasty with that format.

Yeah but the big problem with that setup is you don’t have Bill Belichick. Lots of teams have tried to duplicate what they do, and all the clones have failed. The non-Pats champions since 2000 follow the NY Giants blueprint. Endless rotations on the Dline and a dominating schtick on offense.

2013 Seahawks Dline was phenomenal, anchored by big FA acquisitions like Michael Bennett. Both Giants Dlines had huge money. Eagles Dline had huge money. Rams Dline had huge money. Bucs Dline both times, huge money. Broncos, Saints, Steelers, monster contracts on the line.

Packers are another good example, they were floundering under McCarthy, spent a ton in FA on DE’s and now have had 3 straight 13 win seasons since. SF also, they’re seemingly winning in the most unconventional ways possible, but their standard in the Shanahan era is a gargantuanly paid Dline

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Teams with good coaches put TEs like Schultz in position to chip and make plays from the LOS off the line.

Do they need him to be a better blocker? Absolutely.

Do they also need him for those tough yards and big third down grabs? Absolutely.

It’s not like he’s even getting top-3 money. He’s getting top-7 money. It’s chump change for a starter, really.

Its the egregious overpaying to other guys that is the issue.
I want a better TE, period. Schultz isn't very good.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He's still top 10 when you factor in the blocking, probably still around top 5. There are only 3-4 guys that do both really well. But for me the question is this. Did Schultz really catch so many passes because he's that good or is he really just a solid/ average pass catcher on a team where the QB chooses to dump it off to him instead of pushing to a wide receiver? Our game plan never seems to be get it to schultz or create opportunities based off what he can do its more the qb needs to get rid of the ball quick and the wr's aren't open enough so lets dump off the ball to schultz who is a short throw away. We don't use him like travis keclie and some other TE get used, he's more safe last ditch effort to get a few yards kinda guy. And to me that is someone you replace unless they are really cheap.
I like Dak, but Schultz benefitted finding bailout spots in zones. And it wasn't just a choice, the offense wasn't doing him any favors. It's not like Schultz is beating double teams and being schemed.
He's just ok.

conner01

Reaction score
Not
Tagging a TE seems silly to me. Unless they're generational, it's like tagging a back up WR.
Not really
A starter is not the same as a backup
A TE in many cases is one of the top 2 targets for a team
A backup isn’t even playing

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hey, I did say above average. You think he’s top 5-7?
Maybe hovering around top 10. His stats are quality, but he isnt much of a threat beyond 10 yards. He is more of a hot read/check down guy. He is very good at it, and did well in the red zone. But that amount of usage points to other problems in the offense. In a well performing offense, a guy like Shultz should catch maybe 50-60 passes

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like Dak, but Schultz benefitted finding bailout spots in zones. And it wasn't just a choice, the offense wasn't doing him any favors. It's not like Schultz is beating double teams and being schemed.
He's just ok.
Great minds think alike

conner01

Reaction score
It’s not really about the money. It’s about extending the time to be able to work out a longer term deal.
In many cases that’s exactly right
In some cases it’s about getting a one year rental till you can find a viable replacement

conner01

Reaction score
He’s not Gronkowski level, but he’s probably top 10. They have nothing proven at TE after him. Jarwin needs to be waived and replaced with a draft pick. The delta on the cap hit with a FT for Schultz, Jarwin release and a mid-round TE draft pick is around 6m I believe.

FA numbers are going the same as milk, meat and most other products. Just as with Dak’s contract, which is now 25% below market as set by Rodgers, Schultz’s FT is not a bad ante to buy time to work out a longer term reasonable deal.
Can’t waive Jarwin now but he may not be back anyway
This is not a typical injury he has

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's just ok.

exactly. i'd like him to stay at a cheaper price but if he wants more than say 7 a year i'm gonna pass.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Not

Not really
A starter is not the same as a backup
A TE in many cases is one of the top 2 targets for a team
A backup isn’t even playing
Schultz IS a back up, this tag isn't because he's awesome, it's to try an extend him out of necessity.
Why? Because the starter they already signed can't stay healthy. Jarwin gifted him a spot.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Maybe hovering around top 10. His stats are quality, but he isnt much of a threat beyond 10 yards. He is more of a hot read/check down guy. He is very good at it, and did well in the red zone. But that amount of usage points to other problems in the offense. In a well performing offense, a guy like Shultz should catch maybe 50-60 passes
Schultz had 8 rec TDs. Kelce had 9.