Frankenstorm

joseephuss

Reaction score
What are you guys who live in the areas that are supposed to be hit hearing?

I guess it is a good thing the game is not up in NY on Sunday.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/10/26/east-coast-readies-for-frankenstorm-monster/

Utilities and local governments up and down the East Coast are getting ready for Hurricane Sandy, a pre-Halloween weather monster nicknamed "Frankenstorm," expected to bring high wind, heavy rain, extreme tides, and maybe even snow.

Meteorologists expect a natural horror show beginning early Sunday, peaking with the arrival of Sandy on Tuesday and lingering past Halloween on Wednesday.

With a rare mix of three big merging weather systems over a densely populated region, experts predict at least $1 billion in damage.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/ne...adies-for-frankenstorm-monster/#ixzz2APra2J19

Phoenix

Reaction score
People around here are starting to get a little nervous of it, I think. I'm hoping it causes the Federal Government to have to shut down for a day or two so I can stay home and get paid :D

Diogenes

Reaction score
Phoenix;4804682 said:
People around here are starting to get a little nervous of it, I think. I'm hoping it causes the Federal Government to have to shut down for a day or two so I can stay home and get paid :D

All non-government workers in that area will be hoping they shut down as well. It makes the commute to work a breeze. I know, I was one of those people for 27 years. :)

a_minimalist

Reaction score
I never worry about these things. I live in NJ by the way. Maybe I should worry but I just have a hard time believing the media, ever. Last time I said this thought the basement flooded from a severe hurricane. Either way, I'm sure it will come and go. :D

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just expect some serious winds to pick up before long.

Just looking at the extended forecast it looks like we will drop about 30+ degrees from one day to the next and with that type of drop in such a quick span it normally means some wicked winds.

Now it is usually even more windy where I live as I basically live on a ridge line so there is nothing to break the winds.

Of course I guess it would be bad in a valley if the wind is funneling through as well.

Either way...the only thing I am really worried about is the winds.

Shunpike

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4804689 said:
I never worry about these things. I live in NJ by the way. Maybe I should worry but I just have a hard time believing the media, ever. Last time I said this thought the basement flooded from a severe hurricane. Either way, I'm sure it will come and go. :D

What part of NJ do you live?

Euro model shows the center will be somewhere in Maryland.

Euro model shows center will be central Jersey

So I wouldn't be that relaxed :)

Phoenix

Reaction score
It must be Joshua Bell's fault. He's at Strathmore next week (yes I'm going! :) ) and it seems like every time he tours through here some weird weather happens.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Brooklyn;4804696 said:
What part of NJ do you live?

Euro model shows the center will be somewhere in Maryland.

Euro model shows center will be central Jersey

So I wouldn't be that relaxed :)

Northeast jersey. 30-40 minutes from manhattan.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I expect trees down and no power. I'm most pissed that I won't be able to use my new telescope for quite a long time damnit!

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4804773 said:
I expect trees down and no power. I'm most pissed that I won't be able to use my new telescope for quite a long time damnit!

Don't say that. If I miss the Cowboys game ill be pissed!

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Hopefully after last Halloween's storm, the Northeast is better prepared for the situation. I know that everyone I know is taking it seriously, from here in VA to my friends in NY.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4804773 said:

Go get a room in the city for a few days. Nobody that I know lost power in the city because there were no trees falling on the power lines. :D

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Faerluna;4804784 said:
Go get a room in the city for a few days. Nobody that I know lost power in the city because there were no trees falling on the power lines. :D

Actually we've done that before. :laugh2: Especially after you use up all the hot water.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sam I Am;4804802 said:
Actually we've done that before. :laugh2: Especially after you use up all the hot water.

What year was the bad ice storm?

That storm had us without power for over a week.

The following summer we went and got a portable generator.
We were determined not to have to go through that because we stayed with her parents for that week because they had a gas fire place and stove.

So from that point on we did not have a power outage that lasted long enough to even bother starting the generator. It had never ran, never put any gas or oil in it for those years.

Then when it did get used was when we were on vacation in the Virgin Islands. The power went off the evening before we left. After it was off a couple days and it was reported it would be a few more days without power...My dad came over and got the gen running so the dogs could have a couple of fans in the house. It also happened to be that that specific week was the hottest and muggiest week of the summer.

Either way...I just know that we got a couple of cheap plug in heaters and if need be we can get a hot plate or fire up the grill outside...no more staying a whole week with the inlaws with no power. :laugh1:

a_minimalist

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4804907 said:

We were determined not to have to go through that because we stayed with her parents for that week because they had a gas fire place and stove.

So from that point on we did not have a power outage that lasted long enough to even bother starting the generator. It had never ran, never put any gas or oil in it for those years.

Then when it did get used was when we were on vacation in the Virgin Islands. The power went off the evening before we left. After it was off a couple days and it was reported it would be a few more days without power...My dad came over and got the gen running so the dogs could have a couple of fans in the house. It also happened to be that that specific week was the hottest and muggiest week of the summer.

Either way...I just know that we got a couple of cheap plug in heaters and if need be we can get a hot plate or fire up the grill outside...no more staying a whole week with the inlaws with no power. :laugh1:

Wasn't the bad ice storm last year or the year before?

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
In Palm Beach County, schools closed yesterday at noon. No school today. Its been windy and rainy but nothing really awful. Schools should have remained open. It was all an over reaction after the storm we had with lots of flooding early in the school year.

Wind gusts up to 50 mph were predicted. Doubtful there has been that kind of wind so far, but pretty consistent winds. Rain is off and on.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
a_minimalist;4804919 said:
Wasn't the bad ice storm last year or the year before?

Not the one that I am talking about. This past year or two we missed most of the bad storms (here in my part of WV).

The one I am talking about happened a few years ago and it was widespread through much of the north east area.

joseephuss

Reaction score
WPBCowboysFan;4804929 said:
In Palm Beach County, schools closed yesterday at noon. No school today. Its been windy and rainy but nothing really awful. Schools should have remained open. It was all an over reaction after the storm we had with lots of flooding early in the school year.

Wind gusts up to 50 mph were predicted. Doubtful there has been that kind of wind so far, but pretty consistent winds. Rain is off and on.

What schools? I didn't think Palm Beach County had anybody living it who wasn't a senior citizen.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4804907 said:

We had several small outages not long after we moved into our house a few years ago. Our neighbor told us they had never, in 20 years, had as many outages as since we had moved in.

We decided to get an automatic switch-over generator that powers a good bit of the house since we're also on well water, so no power also equals no water. No good on many levels.

We had the process started, but not finished in time for Irene last year. So we were without power for about 3 days, but finally got it all installed not long after.

As expected, we have barely had to use it at all. :laugh2:

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
So if you have 50 mph wind gusts and temps dropping into the 40's at night, what will that make the wind chill factor? :eek: