Free Agency Market Dynamics

Verdict

Reaction score
We are hearing lots of rumors coming out about contracts expected to be signed tomorrow. So far there really aren't any that I have said to myself "man that was a steal, the Cowboys should have pulled the trigger on that" like I said to myself on a few last year. Of course it IS the first wave of free agency.

It may be interesting to see who else gets cut tomorrow. So far I would rather the Cowboys be sitting on the sidelines than paying the reported numbers. Nine million for Anthony Hitchens? ***!!!! Maybe we will get a decent comp pick out of him!!

I would really like to see us move on from Dez and Witten. It is likely the smart move, replacing both with a draft pick or a low priced free agent later on in the process.

I am not often in error. I thought I was wrong once, but it turned out I was right about that too. Lol.

In all seriousness, I did not think Dez' contract was tradeable, but after seeing the numbers thrown around today, maybe a market MIGHT develop for Dez in a trade after the crazy contracts we have seen thrown around. At least it would be a short contract for the acquiring team with NO DEAD MONEY for the acquiring team.

Add Hitchens to the list of Dallas players we would have liked to have kept that walked due to the cap. He would have been very nice depth next year.

The ten picks we have will be the life blood of this team going forward. If we want to keep our OL intact, sign Martin, Dak and Elliott long term.

Speaking of those guys at what point does Martin become too expensive to keep? What about Elliott? All three could be special players and break the proverbial bank.

At what point do you say, let's get a QB at #19 or in the second round and save $30 Million per year on Dak? I'm not suggesting that but damn, this is insane.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Paying Dak $30 million a year seems insane, until you see guys like Bradford getting $20 million.

Almost every team in the league is going to have at least $25 million a season tied up in a QB in the next few years so it all evens out in the end.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I think the Patriots slipping is getting everyone to go all in. Lots of teams are primed for next season - Vikings, Jags, Eagles, Chiefs - and they are going for it.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Isn't the cap supposed to get a gigantic boost in the next couple years? Or was that the NBA?

Verdict

Reaction score
Paying Dak $30 million a year seems insane, until you see guys like Bradford getting $20 million.

Almost every team in the league is going to have at least $25 million a season tied up in a QB in the next few years so it all evens out in the end.

Yes it evens out but right now we have a dirt cheap QB and a dirt cheap pro bowl RB and we still have no money because of Romo's cap acceleration, Dez bloated contract and Witten's idiotic contract. We are pissing off a huge advantage for what????

This is a wash, rinse and repeat of what we did in Romo's cheap years. We pissed off that advantage too. It's maddening how we just get in the way of success even when good fortune comes calling. I guess it is the Cowboys way.

What is even more insane is CZ posters who think paying Dez and Witten is a great thing. It just baffles the **** out of me how anyone would think that's a great idea.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hitchens is not a cap casualty.

It is DB to make a LB who has never made a probowl the 10th highest paid lb in the league.

This says nothing about Martin, Zeke, or even Dak. It says nothing about cap space. It speaks to investing smartly.

Verdict

Reaction score
Hitchens is not a cap casualty.

It is DB to make a LB who has never made a probowl the 10th highest paid lb in the league.

This says nothing about Martin, Zeke, or even Dak. It says nothing about cap space. It speaks to investing smartly.

Right. Cap was a HUGE part of letting him walk.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
We are hearing lots of rumors coming out about contracts expected to be signed tomorrow. So far there really aren't any that I have said to myself "man that was a steal, the Cowboys should have pulled the trigger on that" like I said to myself on a few last year. Of course it IS the first wave of free agency.

There is no second wave of note. You may have a few decent players floating out there right now waiting to maximize a deal, but there is no special wave of talent that is just waiting for "smart" teams to swoop in and get cheaply.

Last call has been announced. It is coming soon, the lights are turning on and off.

If Dallas wants one of the better looking ugly chicks, they better start looking soon.

Verdict

Reaction score
So you are in favor of paying an above average but not great lb top ten money.

Brilliant.

You must really have a hard time of reading. Watch the bouncing ball. It really helps if you sing along with the words too.

I never said any of that. Man. What an interpretation.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You must really have a hard time of reading. Watch the bouncing ball. It really helps if you sing along with the words too.

I never said any of that. Man. What an interpretation.

Verdict is in. Verdict again guilty of deflecting.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Yes it evens out but right now we have a dirt cheap QB and a dirt cheap pro bowl RB and we still have no money because of Romo's cap acceleration, Dez bloated contract and Witten's idiotic contract. We are pissing off a huge advantage for what????

This is a wash, rinse and repeat of what we did in Romo's cheap years. We pissed off that advantage too. It's maddening how we just get in the way of success even when good fortune comes calling. I guess it is the Cowboys way.

What is even more insane is CZ posters who think paying Dez and Witten is a great thing. It just baffles the **** out of me how anyone would think that's a great idea.
I wouldn't call Zeke dirt cheap. 6th highest avg contract number for RB this year.

And dumping huge dollars into your online will have impacts on the rest of your team.

Agreed on Dez and Wit.

Verdict

Reaction score
Verdict is in. Verdict again guilty of deflecting.

Alright. Whatever. I never said pay Hitchens 9 million. I see why everyone is always combative with you. You just make stuff up as you go.

Verdict

Reaction score
So you are in favor of paying an above average but not great lb top ten money.

Brilliant.

Where exactly in that that post did I say it was a good idea to pay Hitchens that kind of money. Nowhere. Notta. Zilch.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alright. Whatever. I never said pay Hitchens 9 million. I see why everyone is always combative with you. You just make stuff up as you go.

Wait till Lee is out injured and Jaylon is still Jaylon (Not impressive so far) and bracing it as one might say.... Hitchens name will be mentioned in these chat rooms extensively after opposing offenses run at us at will once again but on a nastier tone....

Verdict

Reaction score
Wait till Lee is out injured and Jaylon is still Jaylon (Not impressive so far) and bracing it as one might say.... Hitchens name will be mentioned in these chat rooms extensively after opposing offenses run at us at will once again but on a nastier tone....

That's good stuff. Can't say I disagree with you, but it would be moronic to pay Hitchens $9million per year.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
We will have other linebackers on the roster. One way or another. We will not be rueing this day.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Where exactly in that that post did I say it was a good idea to pay Hitchens that kind of money. Nowhere. Notta. Zilch.

You claim we can't sign him because of the cap.

Yet the actual reason is we won't sign him because the deal is crazy.

Oh you didn't say exactly that ... Yet your entire narrative for months is all about our cap issues (which you clearly don't understand)