Free Agency Market Dynamics

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
There is no second wave of note. You may have a few decent players floating out there right now waiting to maximize a deal, but there is no special wave of talent that is just waiting for "smart" teams to swoop in and get cheaply.

Last call has been announced. It is coming soon, the lights are turning on and off.

If Dallas wants one of the better looking ugly chicks, they better start looking soon.

That's what paper bags are for!

TWOK11

Reaction score
Right. Cap was a HUGE part of letting him walk.

Again, the Cowboys could lead the league in cap space tomorrow if they chose to do so through nothing but restructures and cutting 3 players.

coult44

Reaction score
We are hearing lots of rumors coming out about contracts expected to be signed tomorrow. So far there really aren't any that I have said to myself "man that was a steal, the Cowboys should have pulled the trigger on that" like I said to myself on a few last year. Of course it IS the first wave of free agency.

It may be interesting to see who else gets cut tomorrow. So far I would rather the Cowboys be sitting on the sidelines than paying the reported numbers. Nine million for Anthony Hitchens? ***!!!! Maybe we will get a decent comp pick out of him!!

I would really like to see us move on from Dez and Witten. It is likely the smart move, replacing both with a draft pick or a low priced free agent later on in the process.

I am not often in error. I thought I was wrong once, but it turned out I was right about that too. Lol.

In all seriousness, I did not think Dez' contract was tradeable, but after seeing the numbers thrown around today, maybe a market MIGHT develop for Dez in a trade after the crazy contracts we have seen thrown around. At least it would be a short contract for the acquiring team with NO DEAD MONEY for the acquiring team.

Add Hitchens to the list of Dallas players we would have liked to have kept that walked due to the cap. He would have been very nice depth next year.

The ten picks we have will be the life blood of this team going forward. If we want to keep our OL intact, sign Martin, Dak and Elliott long term.

Speaking of those guys at what point does Martin become too expensive to keep? What about Elliott? All three could be special players and break the proverbial bank.

At what point do you say, let's get a QB at #19 or in the second round and save $30 Million per year on Dak? I'm not suggesting that but damn, this is insane.

So my question is why would you rather them sit than sign someone even if they overpaid? Did we win anything by sitting The past few years? This strategy isn't working, not for us and not for anyone doing it. Every team winning is spending money on quality FA's . They might not be breaking the bank, but they aren't shopping at the dollar store either

Verdict

Reaction score
You claim we can't sign him because of the cap.

Yet the actual reason is we won't sign him because the deal is crazy.

Oh you didn't say exactly that ... Yet your entire narrative for months is all about our cap issues (which you clearly don't understand)

Lol. I never said that.

Verdict

Reaction score
So my question is why would you rather them sit than sign someone even if they overpaid? Did we win anything by sitting The past few years? This strategy isn't working, not for us and not for anyone doing it. Every team winning is spending money on quality FA's . They might not be breaking the bank, but they aren't shopping at the dollar store either

Saving money and keeping our powder dry is the way to go. Prudent free agent spending is fine. Think Leroi Glover.

Verdict

Reaction score
Again, the Cowboys could lead the league in cap space tomorrow if they chose to do so through nothing but restructures and cutting 3 players.

And when they have to let Zeke and Dak go because they have pissed off their cap space many would be rueing the day.

coult44

Reaction score
Saving money and keeping our powder dry is the way to go. Prudent free agent spending is fine. Think Leroi Glover.

How many more years of losing because of an inept FO? There is a balance to this entire thing. Wasting money on a whole team of garbage players is just as bad over paying for a few of them. Same result

Verdict

Reaction score
You literally posted this. Yet you argue otherwise. Stop being such a troll.

It's definite. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

That's exactly what I said. I didn't say we couldn't sign him. I said we let him walk because of the cap. Only a simpleton can't see the difference.

Verdict

Reaction score
How many more years of losing because of an inept FO? There is a balance to this entire thing. Wasting money on a whole team of garbage players is just as bad over paying for a few of them. Same result

I feel your pain. I actually agree with you. We SHOULD be able to pay reasonable contracts.

We actually CAN but not by paying Dez and Witten and also over paying in free agency.

Verdict

Reaction score

Dez and Witten are part of the garbage that needs to be thrown out.

Knotamus

Reaction score
I know most fans are going crazy watching ‘house-hold’ named players get overpaid to swap teams. Seem like an annual gripe ab this time of the year. I’ll admit, I’m a lil angst myself. Honestly tho, I’m truely happy that Dallas isn’t reverting back to the ‘knee-jerk’ reaction of yesteryear. Looking at the ridiculous contracts being thrown around is nauseating and laughable in most respects. But hey, more power to the player that’s getting paid.(clapping for Hitchens). As far as the Dallas Cowboys.. all they need to do is what they’ve been doing over the past several years.. and that’s draft well, sign they’re own ProBowl players (Martin & Lawrence), and hopefully hit on a couple ‘mid-tier’ players for depth. The Boys have talent enough to win. We lost 7 games last year.. meanwhile, Elliott missed 6 games, Irving 8, Lee 6, Hitchens 4, Awuzie 6, Scandrick 4, Tyron Smith 4.. not to mention, hopefuls like Jaylon, Tapper, Collins, Carroll, Butler, Paea, Mayowa, and Rico didnt come through for us.(but that was last year)The last thing Dallas needs to do at this point is ruin our cap for the foreseeable future to over-sign a player to appease the masses. They just need stay calm, get healthy, keep their own happy, and add more talent via the draft.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
It's definite. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

That's exactly what I said. I didn't say we couldn't sign him. I said we let him walk because of the cap. Only a simpleton can't see the difference.

And only the mayor of simpleton wouldn't see that we wouldn't match because 9 mill a year is ridiculously inflated.

Never a probowl. Top 10 4-3 salary.

Delete your account. Stop ruining this board

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
As exciting as flash signings are on the first day of free agency, I look at most of these contracts handed out today and think we dodged bullets. Especially with the Sammy Watkins deal. There actually are quite a few players at LB and dt available that may be able to upgrade current positions that will be available for more reaonable prices.

Verdict

Reaction score
And only the mayor of simpleton wouldn't see that we wouldn't match because 9 mill a year is ridiculously inflated.

Never a probowl. Top 10 4-3 salary.

Delete your account. Stop ruining this board

That's right. That's what I was saying. You are arguing just for the sake of arguing.

Verdict

Reaction score
I know most fans are going crazy watching ‘house-hold’ named players get overpaid to swap teams. Seem like an annual gripe ab this time of the year. I’ll admit, I’m a lil angst myself. Honestly tho, I’m truely happy that Dallas isn’t reverting back to the ‘knee-jerk’ reaction of yesteryear. Looking at the ridiculous contracts being thrown around is nauseating and laughable in most respects. But hey, more power to the player that’s getting paid.(clapping for Hitchens). As far as the Dallas Cowboys.. all they need to do is what they’ve been doing over the past several years.. and that’s draft well, sign they’re own ProBowl players (Martin & Lawrence), and hopefully hit on a couple ‘mid-tier’ players for depth. The Boys have talent enough to win. We lost 7 games last year.. meanwhile, Elliott missed 6 games, Irving 8, Lee 6, Hitchens 4, Awuzie 6, Scandrick 4, Tyron Smith 4.. not to mention, hopefuls like Jaylon, Tapper, Collins, Carroll, Butler, Paea, Mayowa, and Rico didnt come through for us.(but that was last year)The last thing Dallas needs to do at this point is ruin our cap for the foreseeable future to over-sign a player to appease the masses. They just need stay calm, get healthy, keep their own happy, and add more talent via the draft.

Well said.

Falco78

Reaction score
Yes it evens out but right now we have a dirt cheap QB and a dirt cheap pro bowl RB and we still have no money because of Romo's cap acceleration, Dez bloated contract and Witten's idiotic contract. We are pissing off a huge advantage for what????

This is a wash, rinse and repeat of what we did in Romo's cheap years. We pissed off that advantage too. It's maddening how we just get in the way of success even when good fortune comes calling. I guess it is the Cowboys way.

What is even more insane is CZ posters who think paying Dez and Witten is a great thing. It just baffles the **** out of me how anyone would think that's a great idea.
Well Dez's contract seems to be reasonable compared to what we have seen players payed in FA this year so I think it would be dumb for us to think we can get better value elsewhere

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So you are in favor of paying an above average but not great lb top ten money.

Brilliant.
That’s a great point and on the surface it’s difficult to argue sound Cap mgmt.

But that’s assuming we can replace Hitchens and what effects will be at LB this season if that position becomes a weakness for us. Plus what are the effects in the draft if LB is now a priority?

Obviously you can’t afford to overpay everyone but if we’d managed other positions better we might could have afforded to overpay a LB and soon to be position of weakness for us.

If Jaylon still isn’t up to snuff and Lee’s out again with injury LB becomes a huge hole for us unless we hit the jackpot in draft and or some of our backups like Wilson or Wilbur become more than special teamers.

And who’s to say where 9 million a year will be ranked by the time that contract matures . Defintely not top 10. Just saying.. there’s still much to question and critique regardless if it appears a sound money decision today.

DanA

Reaction score
As exciting as flash signings are on the first day of free agency, I look at most of these contracts handed out today and think we dodged bullets. Especially with the Sammy Watkins deal. There actually are quite a few players at LB and dt available that may be able to upgrade current positions that will be available for more reaonable prices.

Jerrell Freeman is interesting. He's still got a PED suspension for a few weeks but I think he could be a decent Hitchens replacement and bridge player until a mid/late round draft pick develops. And he wouldn't be enough for me to shy away from taking a guy like Edmunds or Roquon early if they dropped.