Free Agency thread

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Rescind Schultz’s tag and sign Hooper.

Hopefully it at least helps negotiate with Schultz. Ertz got 3 years, 31.65M before Free Agency hit. Get Schultz to agree to 3 years, 28M with ~12-14M guaranteed, lower his cap hit this year and come back in two.

Gregory also liked this tweet.

I don't know what to think about Kearse. He's had 1 good year and now is expecting big money. I might shy away from giving him that bag as well.

1 year deal players typically over perform.

I agree. I’d like him back, but he’s not special. If he’s demanding big money, he can get it elsewhere.

Kearse is a 28 year old safety/LB hybrid who had by far his best season last year on a defense that probably over-performed. He will never, ever have a hotter market than he does right now. It is not in his best interest to just take an offer from the Cowboys to chase a super bowl. He should chase the biggest deal he can get with the most guarantees. I totally get that.

And as much as I want him back on the team - not giving him an extension before Free Agency will absolutely bite us. Every day that goes by he doesn't sign wtih teh Cowboys, the more I'm convinced he is gone. They gave Malik Hooker a deal that allows him to bet on himself after 2 years and go get a bag when he is 26 if he performs. Kearse is just not in the same boat.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully it at least helps negotiate with Schultz. Ertz got 3 years, 31.65M before Free Agency hit. Get Schultz to agree to 3 years, 28M with ~12-14M guaranteed, lower his cap hit this year and come back in two.

Kearse is a 28 year old safety/LB hybrid who had by far his best season last year on a defense that probably over-performed. He will never, ever have a hotter market than he does right now. It is not in his best interest to just take an offer from the Cowboys to chase a super bowl. He should chase the biggest deal he can get with the most guarantees. I totally get that.

And as much as I want him back on the team - not giving him an extension before Free Agency will absolutely bite us. Every day that goes by he doesn't sign wtih teh Cowboys, the more I'm convinced he is gone. They gave Malik Hooker a deal that allows him to bet on himself after 2 years and go get a bag when he is 26 if he performs. Kearse is just not in the same boat.

Then I say let him go. Dan Quinn found one Kearse, I think he can find another one.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Then I say let him go. Dan Quinn found one Kearse, I think he can find another one.

It kinda depends on the contract. His position isn't a premium one so I'm sure he's finding a limited market.

3 years, $25M with 10 guaranteed? I probably accept that as a Cowboys fan.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It kinda depends on the contract. His position isn't a premium one so I'm sure he's finding a limited market.

3 years, $25M with 10 guaranteed? I probably accept that as a Cowboys fan.
I'd live with that as well but I'd also guess the team isn't willing to go that high.

He had a nice year but it wasn't even really a given he would make the team last year.

I think he think he deserves more than he does.

As much as I want to keep him I'm sick of overpaying for our own players and being cheap with everyone else.

If we need to lose Kearse to get Miller here than fine by me.

Vanilla2

Reaction score

Wouldn’t his continued lack of a deal make it easier for him to return? Maybe the market isn’t what he thought?