Free Agent Wish List - No Strings Attached

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
If they plan on maintaining their fanbase, they better have a plan that doesn't include lucking into a couple of veterans via trade. It can be argued that Cooks and Gilmore were great additions, and I applaud the front office for salvaging an otherwise horrendous offseason. They still failed to address o-line depth, LB, RUNNING BACK, the penalties, team discipline, and in-game decision making. Now it seems they'll need to develop an entirely new defensive scheme and who knows how the players will adapt, especially if Q leaves.

Thankfully Bland came up big this season, otherwise we would be looking for a starting corner, at least one good DT, two good linebackers, two good edge players, a great LT, a good RT, and a starting caliber RB to field a competitive team. With limited draft stock and lower picks this season, they're going to have to rely on free agency. How do you do that with Dak's contract? At least half of the fan base has been alienated over the course of the last week, and the Jones ensemble risks losing more support by extending a guy that collapses under pressure to a record extensions. What a corner the front office has backed themselves into...
You are so right on that. I didn't include it in OP, but even though this is more of a "wish list" this is the year to think big on FA. Jerry knows it. He has to do something to get the fans back. No Bill Parcells. No Dak replacing Romo. No exciting high 1st round picks. Something has to give the faithful some hope.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You are so right on that. I didn't include it in OP, but even though this is more of a "wish list" this is the year to think big on FA. Jerry knows it. He has to do something to get the fans back. No Bill Parcells. No Dak replacing Romo. No exciting high 1st round picks. Something has to give the faithful some hope.
The fact you believe Jerry cares about winning the fans over is not good lol

conner01

Reaction score
You think this FO is spending that? I have a bridge to sell you. Id be shocked if one of those players even visits.
They don’t have it to spend. We are already over the cap for next year. Signing lamb would lower it some because his 5th year option is nearly 18 mil. But we are way over and if we sign Micah his likely goes up since hes on rookie deal. As is we are over 11 mil over the cap right now

Carson

Reaction score
We may trade for another aging vet like Cooks or Gilmore.

We sign 0 free agents

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Unless they bring in a new contract negotiator, it's not going to happen.

Stephen cannot negotiate with free agents who have options. He's awful at it. So much so, he doesn't even try anymore. Agents don't even waste their time anymore.

He only is interested in rookies or the franchise tag, since the league sets the parameters for the deals, and Stephen doesn't have to do anything.

He signs existing Cowboys players but gets taken to the cleaners each and every time.

He will sign free agents with very few options late in the process.

Gambit

Reaction score
I concur, I think this year there will be a significant signing in FA. I expect the draft to be a swing for fences draft too.

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL we ain't touching half those players.

Henry might be an option because he might not be that expensive given the general suppression of RB contracts and Jerry is likely to overreact to this past season with McCarthy saying they need to fix the run game.

Other options at TB are Josh Jacobs, Barkley, Ekeler, Pollard (can't repeat that).

Not sure what Philly has in mind but D'Andre Swift is also a FA.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
You think this FO is spending that? I have a bridge to sell you. Id be shocked if one of those players even visits.

LOL, we already know how the Clampetts view FA, will wait till the following month after FA begins to make there big splash. When guys that was working at Lowes and Home Depot will come in for visits.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Of course they will. At least a handful of their own.
Funny because they literally will put it out there too like that. At least Stephen will. That's Mike Brown the 2nd waiting to happen. Cheapskate.

3 things these guys need to shoot for, IMO... my wish list on OP is that theme
  1. GET BIGGER!
  2. GET TOUGHER!
  3. GET SUPER BOWL WINNERS!

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

We sign 0 free agents
That was a welcomed change. We call those "baseball trades" basically acquiring high-priced players, towards the end of their contract, from teams not expecting to contend. (Funny that both the Colts and Texans ended up competitive this year.)

What I am concerned about is that both teams agreed to pay some of the contracts. Now Stephen will expect that every time and if the team won't agree, there is probably no deal. He's so cheap, it's ridiculous really.

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
Starting to look like team will stay the same, Players & Coaches. Mostly just some roster changes. FA is big part of that.

See link from PFF, best one I've found ranking Top 2024 FAs by position: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-free-agency-primer-best-free-agents-every-position

Simple questions. No strings attached, and assuming they STAY free agents..... If we could afford anyone, who would you hire? Too early to get into all the complications. So just a broad wish list.

Players I would love to go for and reason why:
  • DT Chris Jones... No more DT problems!!! Bigger more brutal D-Line. Running not as easy. So many reason why he would be worth the giant contract he will probably get if KC lets another All Pro starter go.
  • S Antoine Winfield Jr.... LB list is slim pickings, but why not a dawg at Safety? He is like his daddy. Big reason for TB's defensive success this year.
  • RB Derrick Henry... Would have been nice to have him mid-season and he's closer end of his career now, but we still need our own #33! And not talking about Dorsett. Big physical runner who still has burners. 6'3" 247 lbs, compliments Pollard, Rico or any of our smaller backs.
  • OT Trent Brown... Seeya Steele!
  • WR Mike Evans... big body WR and perfect complement to CeeDee
If we could somehow sign Jones and Winfield I would be ECSTATIC.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

We sign 0 free agents

Don't be stupid, we clear 17 million just restructuring Zach and Tank. We can easily drop another 30m off cap with other cuts and restructures. And that is keep Daks contract as is. We can add another 20 to 25 million restructuring his deal. And if we signed CD long-term it likely will save another 5 to 8 million on this year's cap. You can manipulate the cap so easily that it is no excuse.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Starting to look like team will stay the same, Players & Coaches. Mostly just some roster changes. FA is big part of that.

See link from PFF, best one I've found ranking Top 2024 FAs by position: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-free-agency-primer-best-free-agents-every-position

Simple questions. No strings attached, and assuming they STAY free agents..... If we could afford anyone, who would you hire? Too early to get into all the complications. So just a broad wish list.

Players I would love to go for and reason why:
  • DT Chris Jones... No more DT problems!!! Bigger more brutal D-Line. Running not as easy. So many reason why he would be worth the giant contract he will probably get if KC lets another All Pro starter go.
  • S Antoine Winfield Jr.... LB list is slim pickings, but why not a dawg at Safety? He is like his daddy. Big reason for TB's defensive success this year.
  • RB Derrick Henry... Would have been nice to have him mid-season and he's closer end of his career now, but we still need our own #33! And not talking about Dorsett. Big physical runner who still has burners. 6'3" 247 lbs, compliments Pollard, Rico or any of our smaller backs.
  • OT Trent Brown... Seeya Steele!
  • WR Mike Evans... big body WR and perfect complement to CeeDee
dude I'm not keeping Tony Pollard on this team we're gonna need to pick a guy similar to Ezekiel Elliott or Derrick Henry in the draft that's what we need fresh legs and we can use a guy mid level in the veteran availability list in free agency or deuce Vaughn can take Tony pollard's spot as a change of pace type but we need a stud and you're going to get him in the draft there's no reason to bring an older aged guy like Henry and in my opinion you're doing it backwards just go get that next guy in the draft.. I mean if we can find a Ezekiel Elliott type in the second or third round and we get that same first four years we got out of zeke that's what we need here or Henry but I'm just saying why you gotta use somebody else's running back as a comp we could use a guy like Elliot just young fresh hungry//// and you say no strings attached so you can make these crazy unavailable and not doable you can't get rid of Tarrant steel and actually he got better as the year went on but you ain't getting Trent brown I don't even think he's available some of these guys I thought sign new contracts and you're making assumptions and I don't think so a lot of these guys are gonna be available....

Heck and we're gonna do that give me Fred Warner and give me Aaron Donald and ohh let's say every Pro Bowl guy that we could think of that we need we can just go get since there's no strings attached...

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
dude I'm not keeping Tony Pollard on this team we're gonna need to pick a guy similar to Ezekiel Elliott or Derrick Henry in the draft that's what we need fresh legs and we can use a guy mid level in the veteran availability list in free agency or deuce Vaughn can take Tony pollard's spot as a change of pace type but we need a stud and you're going to get him in the draft there's no reason to bring an older aged guy like Henry and in my opinion you're doing it backwards just go get that next guy in the draft.. I mean if we can find a Ezekiel Elliott type in the second or third round and we get that same first four years we got out of zeke that's what we need here or Henry but I'm just saying why you gotta use somebody else's running back as a comp we could use a guy like Elliot just young fresh hungry//// and you say no strings attached so you can make these crazy unavailable and not doable you can't get rid of Tarrant steel and actually he got better as the year went on but you ain't getting Trent brown I don't even think he's available some of these guys I thought sign new contracts and you're making assumptions and I don't think so a lot of these guys are gonna be available....

Heck and we're gonna do that give me Fred Warner and give me Aaron Donald and ohh let's say every Pro Bowl guy that we could think of that we need we can just go get since there's no strings attached...
LOL... Jerry is 81 years old and has lived life to the fullest. The man doesn't have much time left. Spend it and trade it amigo! You don't have to deal with the after effects anyways!! Go out with a bang!!

And don't let Stephen talk you out of it!!! Just like Jerry Jr, another one hanging on your boot straps. You made the fortune, go use it!

Carson

Reaction score
Don't be stupid, we clear 17 million just restructuring Zach and Tank. We can easily drop another 30m off cap with other cuts and restructures. And that is keep Daks contract as is. We can add another 20 to 25 million restructuring his deal. And if we signed CD long-term it likely will save another 5 to 8 million on this year's cap. You can manipulate the cap so easily that it is no excuse.
It’s not stupid.

It’s how they operate. They focus on bringing back their guys (Tyron, Tyler, Kearse etc), re-sign their guys (Lamb,Micah) and fill the holes with vet trades (Cooks and Gilmore) and draft.

blueblood70

Reaction score
LOL... Jerry is 81 years old and has lived life to the fullest. The man doesn't have much time left. Spend it and trade it amigo! You don't have to deal with the after effects anyways!! Go out with a bang!!

And don't let Stephen talk you out of it!!! Just like Jerry Jr, another one hanging on your boot straps. You made the fortune, go use it!
Yeah but is he dreaming the same way we are dreaming because that's a dream list and is he gonna go all in I mean is that the deal he's gonna make the new deal with the devil?? I mean we do need to get in the draft and fill needs with good players this year not role players and go get us a stud linebacker a stud running back and possibly another defensive lineman or heck I take 2 linebackers right now out of the draft then go into free agency like we did last year don't tell me that Gilmore and cooks weren't nice pickups we need to do the same thing wherever the holes are we need to find the guys that we could best fit and then draft the rest of them and then wish for some luck along the way.....

But the first thing we need to do is see is Dan Quinn leaving or not? Then we'll truly know what we need on defense first because I think it needs to be a defensive draft outside of linebacker I mean I think we could keep almost the same exact offense steel will be healthier I don't know you let go of Gallup maybe maybe we get a wide receiver or maybe one of the guys like tolbert will step up but I see us bringing back lamb and cooks and Ferguson the offensive line I think we have guys on the team that could fill in there if we don't bring back the same 5 tyron Smith is the odd man out we don't know if he's coming back but we could pretty much roll out the same offense with a better running back but concentrate on rebuilding the defense with a new defensive coordinator and philosophy... At this point I don't wanna be plugging in names we don't even know who our defensive coordinator is and what kind of defense we're gonna be running...