Free Agent Wish List - No Strings Attached

Sydla

Reaction score
Unless they bring in a new contract negotiator, it's not going to happen.

Stephen cannot negotiate with free agents who have options. He's awful at it. So much so, he doesn't even try anymore. Agents don't even waste their time anymore.

He only is interested in rookies or the franchise tag, since the league sets the parameters for the deals, and Stephen doesn't have to do anything.

He signs existing Cowboys players but gets taken to the cleaners each and every time.

He will sign free agents with very few options late in the process.
The main criteria for Stephen and Jerry in FA is not if the player makes the team better but rather does the player fit into the low salary structure they are willing to pay.

JPM

Reaction score
Not one person from that list will even be entertained by Jerry and his son.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
It’s not stupid.

It’s how they operate. They focus on bringing back their guys (Tyron, Tyler, Kearse etc), re-sign their guys (Lamb,Micah) and fill the holes with vet trades (Cooks and Gilmore) and draft.
I apologize...I actually quoted the wrong poster....I meant to reply to conner. I'm a *******.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
They don’t have it to spend. We are already over the cap for next year. Signing lamb would lower it some because his 5th year option is nearly 18 mil. But we are way over and if we sign Micah his likely goes up since hes on rookie deal. As is we are over 11 mil over the cap right now
DUde, the cap isn't an issue, we clear 17 million just restructuring Zach and Tank. We can easily drop another 30m off cap with other cuts and restructures. And that is keeping Dak's contract as is. We can add another 20 to 25 million restructuring his deal. And if we signed CD long-term it likely will save another 5 to 8 million on this year's cap. You can manipulate the cap so easily that it is no excuse.

conner01

Reaction score
DUde, the cap isn't an issue, we clear 17 million just restructuring Zach and Tank. We can easily drop another 30m off cap with other cuts and restructures. And that is keeping Dak's contract as is. We can add another 20 to 25 million restructuring his deal. And if we signed CD long-term it likely will save another 5 to 8 million on this year's cap. You can manipulate the cap so easily that it is no excuse.
Restructuring Dak is crazy since we already owe him so much for past deals. I don’t see where we can get another 30 but I trust you know your stuff

zeke21

Reaction score
Previous poster was right.. I think half our problem with quality FAs is why would they want to come here? Only Dallas fans don't see that we are literally the laughing stock of the league.. like its not even close.
So FAs come in four packs: first is the guys that are looking for elite money and their draft team can't afford to keep them. Second is the guys that are good, could be great but want good coin and haven't really done enough to earn it. Third are the guys that were great/elite and are now trending down at the end of the career. Fourth are guys that are fringe and hoping a new opportunity brings new chances.

First group - don't bother, even with restructuring we don't have the cap money to swim for these guys.
Second - don't have the coin and unlikely to be better than what we have for the coin they want
Third - These are probably our best shots.. that includes guys like Henry
Fourth - why bother, these guys are on the scrap heap for a reason.

I don't expect any big splashes in FA.

ICP

Reaction score
Starting to look like team will stay the same, Players & Coaches. Mostly just some roster changes. FA is big part of that.

See link from PFF, best one I've found ranking Top 2024 FAs by position: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-free-agency-primer-best-free-agents-every-position

Simple questions. No strings attached, and assuming they STAY free agents..... If we could afford anyone, who would you hire? Too early to get into all the complications. So just a broad wish list.

Players I would love to go for and reason why:
  • DT Chris Jones... No more DT problems!!! Bigger more brutal D-Line. Running not as easy. So many reason why he would be worth the giant contract he will probably get if KC lets another All Pro starter go.
  • S Antoine Winfield Jr.... LB list is slim pickings, but why not a dawg at Safety? He is like his daddy. Big reason for TB's defensive success this year.
  • RB Derrick Henry... Would have been nice to have him mid-season and he's closer end of his career now, but we still need our own #33! And not talking about Dorsett. Big physical runner who still has burners. 6'3" 247 lbs, compliments Pollard, Rico or any of our smaller backs.
  • OT Trent Brown... Seeya Steele!
  • WR Mike Evans... big body WR and perfect complement to CeeDee
I think it's probably safe to say none of these guys will have a star on their helmet next year