Free Agents

JonCJG

Reaction score
Any interest on any of these free agents left over?

Ty Law
Jamie Sharper
Peter Boulware
Grady Jackson
Orlando Brown
Dez White

I would take Law only.... too bad he is represented by the Postons.

CB is the only position on D that would take a major hit if a starter was lost IMO.

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
Ty Law, but he's way too expensive, so....I'd pass on them all.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Nope.

I do think that we might see another FA or two come in. Probably at LB

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ty Law will be a Chief by training camp. Write that down!

I would not mind Sharper for depth. Would not be a bad pick-up to our SOLID LB corp. Can never have too much good depth when playing a 3-4 defense.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No.
If we bring anyone in, we need young guys for development for the future, not overpriced vets that won't see much playing time.

If there are injuries, chances are these guys will still be out there, then we may have to take a look.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
If we weren't already stocked at LB I might be interested in bringing Jamie Sharper in as a veteran presence but that is what we have Singleton for. Sharper is a better fit for the 3-4 though but he hasn't been very productive lately.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
If we weren't already stocked at LB I might be interested in bringing Jamie Sharper in as a veteran presence but that is what we have Singleton for. Sharper is a better fit for the 3-4 though but he hasn't been very productive lately.

are we really stocked? I see a ton of question marks and lots of scrubs.

?'s -- Ayodele -- can he play middle? James - is he good or was last year a fluke? Carpenter -- any rookie is a question mark. Burnett -- can he contribute at all? ever? Singelton -- can he actually play OLB in the 3-4?

Scrubs/ST guys -- Boiman, Fowler, Shanle, all the rookie FAs.

Given the disaster that our LBs were last year (Ok, the disaster that Fowler and Fujita were) -- and how our D depends on these guys I don't think we can afford to stand pat if a decent vet shakes free.

silver

Reaction score
Dez White is interesting. I wonder what happened to him. He had so much promise coming out of Georgia Tech a few years ago. I would take a look at him as insurance in case somebody gets hurt.

Ty Law's name has been posted here more often than Roy Williams. He'll never go away. Him and Quincy Carter are the ghosts of the zone. they just keep hanging around forever.

silver

Reaction score
abersonc said:
are we really stocked? I see a ton of question marks and lots of scrubs.

?'s -- Ayodele -- can he play middle? James - is he good or was last year a fluke? Carpenter -- any rookie is a question mark. Burnett -- can he contribute at all? ever? Singelton -- can he actually play OLB in the 3-4?

Scrubs/ST guys -- Boiman, Fowler, Shanle, all the rookie FAs.

Given the disaster that our LBs were last year (Ok, the disaster that Fowler and Fujita were) -- and how our D depends on these guys I don't think we can afford to stand pat if a decent vet shakes free.
Boulware and Sharper are scrubbs too. 6 years ago they were good. not anymore. I disagree about your question marks about Ayodele, James and Singleton. Me thinks they all can play at a good level. But I agree about Burnett and Carpenter. Burnett can't stay on the field long enough and Carp is a rookie.

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
Law will eventually drop his price, likely before training camps begin to start. He's really not as good as he used to be, especially since he's a very physical corner and the refs are paying extra attention to PI.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
silver said:
Boulware and Sharper are scrubbs too. 6 years ago they were good. not anymore. I disagree about your question marks about Ayodele, James and Singleton. Me thinks they all can play at a good level. But I agree about Burnett and Carpenter. Burnett can't stay on the field long enough and Carp is a rookie.

Oh, I don't want either of those losers. They are done. But if a veteran backup with 3-4 experience (e.g., Monty Beisel, Clint Kreiwalt, or Orlando Ruff) lose their spots, we'd have to jump on one.

Ayodele has never played ILB -- he has to be a question mark. James has 1 good season under his belt. Singelton isn't a good fit to the 3-4.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
Law will eventually drop his price, likely before training camps begin to start. He's really not as good as he used to be, especially since he's a very physical corner and the refs are paying extra attention to PI.

He certainly showed he wasn't that good last year.

He only recorded a career high for ints (10)

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:
He certainly showed he wasn't that good last year.

He only recorded a career high for ints (10)

Doesn't mean he didn't have a high completion rate. Interceptions are a poor indicator for the quality of a corner's play.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
Doesn't mean he didn't have a high completion rate. Interceptions are a poor indicator for the quality of a corner's play.

Funny...

somewhat, I agree with you.

Tell this to your friends at ES, they think that INTs are the most important thing in the world, and to them, the reason Terence Newman isn't great.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:

The Jet's had the 2nd best pass D in the NFL last year (yards per game wise) -- despite being in the bottom quarter of the league in terms of sacks.

That says that someone is doing something right in that defensive backfield.

Have you got stats to indicate that Law had a ton of passes completed on him?