Twitter: Free Retiring***Merged***

waldoputty

Reaction score
Dude, looks like we are taking a hit this year. If they knew about Free, and did nothing with no plan, it was about money.

RT is a position where the QB can see the guy coming, Dak is young and they are taking a chance to save money against the cap. Not saying I agree, and it puts more pressure on our draft, but I see the reasoning behind it.

Just hope Dak keeps his eyes open.

wonderful, how lucky were we to get Dak with the longest streak for 1st year starter without an Int
now we take a risk with his health for a couple or three million per year at the position...
bean counters gone wild - we have plenty of cap space - it is inane

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
free is a turnstil.
green cannot stay healthy
cleary has started 1 game for us, though he looked decent.

yes, the team knew this was coming as this was known after free agency started.
and they allowed all the FA RTs to be signed from 5M-10M AAV
note that Free's base salary was 5M so they could easily have signed Remmers for less than $4M cap impact this year.

so they are taking risks with the health of Dak - the young franchise QB that sets the franchise up for the next 15 years.
wonderful.

Since they let Leary walk, I think they've got to make some kind of move to get a proven starter rather than taking a risk with Green and Cleary. However, I've been burned before.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Since they let Leary walk, I think they've got to make some kind of move to get a proven starter rather than taking a risk with Green and Cleary. However, I've been burned before.

there is not much left.
the only one remotely interesting is the RT/G from the browns Pasztor who was actually rated as the worst RT last year in terms of sacks and pressures while Free was the 3rd worst.
and that is supposed to be the guy showed substantial improvement over the year.
however he seems to be holding out for more $.

gimmesix

Reaction score
All Free has been the last couple of years is a journeyman. Always among league leaders in sacks and qb pressures allowed.

There are far more plays where Free succeeds in his blocking than when he makes mistakes. I've posted a thread on this before. I don't think he's replaceable, far from it, but I also don't think it's as easy as just plugging in the next man up.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Yes. Just a couple of months ago everyone was ready to kick his butt out of town.

i am so glad he is gone.
however they need to sign someone.
they knew he was retiring but made no signing.
either they think Cleary is ok
or they are waiting for the price to drop...

gimmesix

Reaction score
there is not much left.
the only one remotely interesting is the RT/G from the browns Pasztor who was actually rated as the worst RT last year in terms of sacks and pressures while Free was the 3rd worst.
and that is supposed to be the guy showed substantial improvement over the year.
however he seems to be holding out for more $.

I think Dallas will either take the approach of signing an older vet with issues such as injuries that Dallas can get on a one-year deal or some young guy who the pro scouting department is high on even though he hasn't shown enough to get a big contract. The Cowboys were never going to go after a top-of-the-line guy because it just isn't their MO.

waldoputty

Reaction score
i suspect mcclay is tracking available lineman.

for example, one OT i was always curious about is lawrence gibson - our 2015 7th round pick who showed great feet but was too green.
he is now on a future contract with the Texans.

it appears mcclay not that worried or he is waiting for prices to drop.
if it is just depth, i suppose we can poach someone from a practice squad after the 53 cut downs are done...

slick325

Reaction score
Injuries caught up to Free...don't blame him for shutting it down. Especially if the injuries were keeping him from performing at a level satisfactory to his own expectations. Anyone that played a sport knows the feeling of the mind telling you to do something, muscle memory knowing what to do BUT the body is unable to cooperate.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
bottom line is dallas OL wont be as good in 2017 without free and leary.
It will mean more penalty's, and mistakes with collins, and whoever plays RT

gmoney112

Reaction score
bottom line is dallas OL wont be as good in 2017 without free and leary.
It will mean more penalty's, and mistakes with collins, and whoever plays RT

Collins may not start off as well, but by the end of the season he'll be better than Leary.

Free was basically a journeyman last year, his production has declining but he was a pro. Honestly, if Green is healthy I think he'll be an upgrade (if). Cleary is turning 27 this offseason, he played pretty good at LT against Philly (until Mark). I want to see him in a full training camp at Tackle.

And Dak played with possibly the worst OL in the SEC, finishing nearly tops in passer rating and TO's while getting killed. He's used to being under pressure. (response to putty)

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Collins may not start off as well, but by the end of the season he'll be better than Leary.

Free was basically a journeyman last year, his production has declining but he was a pro. Honestly, if Green is healthy I think he'll be an upgrade (if). Cleary is turning 27 this offseason, he played pretty good at LT against Philly (until Mark). I want to see him in a full training camp at Tackle.

And Dak played with possibly the worst OL in the SEC, finishing nearly tops in passer rating and TO's while getting killed. He's used to being under pressure. (response to putty)
well that is a positive outlook, I think they will struggle early, but might get better as season goes forward.
RT isnt a easy position to play though dealing with the speed rush, and dak likes to roll to the right also.

gmoney112

Reaction score
well that is a positive outlook, I think they will struggle early, but might get better as season goes forward.
RT isnt a easy position to play though dealing with the speed rush, and dak likes to roll to the right also.

People don't remember that Collins was debatably the best OL in that entire draft. And he was known to be "nasty", as we've seen from him in the run game.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
i suspect mcclay is tracking available lineman.

for example, one OT i was always curious about is lawrence gibson - our 2015 7th round pick who showed great feet but was too green.
he is now on a future contract with the Texans.

it appears mcclay not that worried or he is waiting for prices to drop.
if it is just depth, i suppose we can poach someone from a practice squad after the 53 cut downs are done...

Forgot about Gibson. Remember people here we're excited about the pick.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
People don't remember that Collins was debatably the best OL in that entire draft. And he was known to be "nasty", as we've seen from him in the run game.

Yep. I think Collins will be better than Leary in the long run and probably just as good this season. The issue is there's a big question mark at RT, but let's not pretend it wasn't already a weak link. Maybe Free's retirement will be a blessing in disguise. I really hope Chaz Green wasn't a wasted pick.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
yes true , but he is young and hasnt played that much in nfl.
2 new guys on OL means more penalty's, or it is very possible.

John813

Reaction score
I think FO liked what they saw from Green last year but will draft another Tackle incase he gets injured again.