From the unexpected who I thought showed a little something

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Unforgiven said:
By the way, I liked the way he looked in control standing over the line, even corrected a few players out of position. Can't wait to see the whole game today.
I noticed that same thing about Romo being in command at the line. In fact he seemed to be in command the whole time he was on the field and you could tell everyone was listening to him when he gave instructions. He knew what was going on and got people in the positions they were supposed to be in.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
ZeroClub said:
Anybody think Skyler Green could be in trouble?
I'd give him a little more time. He made a couple of moves in the punt returns that were encouraging though he didn't come close to breaking one. That might be because they have nto worked on it enough in TC so far. We'll likely never have a decent return game as long as we have DeHaven anyway.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Zaxor said:
Quincy Butler made a boneheaded play on ST but he and Lenny Williams seemed to handle their secondary assignments pretty well and Butler always seemed to be in on the tackle or near the ball sorta how Lee Roy Jordan use to be...McQ for the most part was out there a long time and played better than I expected though nothing world shattering..Saldi played well but he was only briefly on the field...Rector made 2 nice catches... I would like a better look at these guys

from the not so unexpected...

Junior G and Pat Watkins...they each had a bad play with Jr. letting the runner get outside of him and Pat with the facemask penalty..Hatcher had nice pressure but he has to get some better moves to become a serious threat to QB's...Thomas Johnson owned the center he was playing against

From the I did not see them make a play department...

Bobcar, Stanley, Fasano, Green they may have done there jobs perfectly but nothing seemed to standout to me...

***disclaimer***

readers please notice the to me part...

From the they may need more time than I thought department...

Hurd he made some nice catches but he can't be dropping passes like the ones he did

Okay Zax, riddle me this....Your in Germany and I'm in CT...You saw the game and I didn't...How does that work ???

Any NY or CT folks reading this...Was the game on Telamendo ?

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Jarv said:
Okay Zax, riddle me this....Your in Germany and I'm in CT...You saw the game and I didn't...How does that work ???

Any NY or CT folks reading this...Was the game on Telamendo ?

Rack provided a link to a site that I could watch it from...It pays to have good friends like you and Rack:)

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Zaxor said:
Rack provided a link to a site that I could watch it from...It pays to have good friends like you and Rack:)

Excellent bro...Looking forward to tonight NFL replay !

Iago33

Reaction score
Unforgiven said:
You are correct about the "it" thing. I'm not even sure how to explain "it", but I think I see it. Intangibles, like Favre, Staubach, Brady, Montana have.

Not a shot at Bledose, who I really like, but he doesn't have "it". He never has. everything he has accomplished on the field (and there are a lot) he has done strictly on skill and desire. He has fought for everything he has accomplished. It just looks so smooth and simple for players like Favre and Montana. And it just kind of looked that way for Romo last night.

By the way, I liked the way he looked in control standing over the line, even corrected a few players out of position. Can't wait to see the whole game today.

Oh, no--I'm having horrible flashbacks of Quincy/Hutch debates. Let's avoid talking about "it"--please.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
ZeroClub said:
Anybody think Skyler Green could be in trouble?

He had some nice returns, but if we end up getting a WR via trade that can do a credible job returning kicks and punts, I think he could be.

Green has to show something, anything as a receiver, or have a big return this preseason to become a lock for the roster. We simply have too many other young and useful players at the position to keep one who doesn't do anything else but an average job returning. He won't be a factor on the coverage units because of his size, so he has to step up the receiving IMO.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Alexander said:
He had some nice returns, but if we end up getting a WR via trade that can do a credible job returning kicks and punts, I think he could be.

Green has to show something, anything as a receiver, or have a big return this preseason to become a lock for the roster. We simply have too many other young and useful players at the position to keep one who doesn't do anything else but an average job returning. He won't be a factor on the coverage units because of his size, so he has to step up the receiving IMO.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

A few other factors:

Parcells has said he's planning to use T-New on returns more often - so the need for a routine punt return guy with impact isn't as critical. Especially if somebody else who contributes in other ways can do a decent job.

Crayton's injury may change the roster a little. Parcells might feel like he needs more depth at WR more than he needs a better punt returner.

And then there's the whole Vanderjagt kick-off thing. I don't think he's going to be the kick-off guy. And if the Cowboys keep McBriar over the rookie punter/kicker, you've got a roster spot eaten by a kick-off only guy. I think it would be tough for Parcells to decide to burn roster spots on a kick-off only guy and a punt returner only guy.

It'll be interesting.

Just to be clear - I'm not pulling against Green. I think it would be great if Green emerged as too good to cut ....

But I think he's on the bubble.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Now that Bariault's career appears to be over, don't be surprised if Abram Elam makes the team.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
What is funny?...

you aren't stupid enough to think I was saying Butler is the equal of Lee Roy Jordan... especially as they play 2 different positions...but it was meant as a point of comparision for those who aren't old enough to have seen Lee Roy play...as they would have no idea that Lee Roy was known for such...

about as stupid as you look.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
I fully understand the point you were making my friend. ;)

The Hurd drop in my opinion was simply a case of butterflies...as he caught everything thrown his way from that point on. What a nice finger tip catch he made on the td drive.

Hurd is a keeper.

Totally agree with CBz-----Don't sweat those whose sole purpose is to make their self look bigger and smarter by putting down someone else---I enjoy your post and thank -you for what you do for all of us --Go Harvestors:laugh1:

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
justbob said:
Totally agree with CBz-----Don't sweat those whose sole purpose is to make their self look bigger and smarter by putting down someone else---I enjoy your post and thank -you for what you do for all of us --Go Harvestors:laugh1:

I thank you my friend... how are your panthers looking this year?

CooterBrown

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Fasano had some nice plays as well with his blocking but he did have the one dropped pass early. Still he did well on his blocking assignments and was active on the field; just not spectacular.

Fasano did well blocking as a Tight End. He was pretty bad as a Full Back. One one play in particular, Spags says, "Fasano did a nice job on a kick-out block on that play." Then they showed the replay. He positioned himself well, took on the linebacker to the outside and then the linebacker he was trying to block slipped off to the inside and made the tackle.

In his defense on the pass play. He was covered well and it would have been an extremely good catch if he had held on.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
CooterBrown said:
Fasano did well blocking as a Tight End. He was pretty bad as a Full Back. One one play in particular, Spags says, "Fasano did a nice job on a kick-out block on that play." Then they showed the replay. He positioned himself well, took on the linebacker to the outside and then the linebacker he was trying to block slipped off to the inside and made the tackle.

In his defense on the pass play. He was covered well and it would have been an extremely good catch if he had held on.

Good observation.

Remember, it was as a F-back that Dan Campbell had trouble with as well. It's not as easy to translate from playing on the line with your hand down to being the move man.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Good observation.

Remember, it was as a F-back that Dan Campbell had trouble with as well. It's not as easy to translate from playing on the line with your hand down to being the move man.

You are correct about the difficulty in the change. As a tight end, the guy you are supposed to block is usually right there for you to see. As a pick-a-letter back, if the play goes as designed, you should know who to hit. But, plays seldom go that well and then you have to decide, and decide instantly, who you should block, and how you should block him. A tough job for a veteran. I'm sure its a bit overwhelming for most rookies.