News: FS: Tony Romo had a Hall of Fame-worthy self own before Bengals game-winning field goal

GMO415

Reaction score
Only way Romo gets into the HOF is if he buys a ticket.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Tragic that a starting QB is playing special teams in a playoff game.

But oh well....15 years ago

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The way this franchise has been hood winked guaranteed Romo controls that snap the kicker would have missed the kick. Cant fight the Universe…

People also forget Seattle still would have had over a minute to drive to a field goal try of their own. That would have probably happened too.

CWR

Reaction score
I got the reference. Then again I tend to remember events that ripped my heart through my rib cage.

Yeah right. I guess I'm glad Tony can laugh. I'm still fairly pissed. We weren't going anywhere if we won anyways. If memory serves that team was going backwards. It shouldn't have been that close. They had no secondary and we couldn't take advantage.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Yeah right. I guess I'm glad Tony can laugh. I'm still fairly pissed. We weren't going anywhere if we won anyways. If memory serves that team was going backwards. It shouldn't have been that close. They had no secondary and we couldn't take advantage.

I remember just sitting there after that game wondering if this team would ever win anything again. Turns out all these years later my feelings were spot on.

Reactions: CWR

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I really don’t know how his career was wasted. He had a lot of talent around him. He was an undrafted free agent who became a franchise QB. He owns practically all the Cowboys career passing records. His success as a player led to commercials and success after football in the broadcast booth. If it takes a Super Bowl win or appearance for a QB not to have a wasted career than there’s been a lot of QBs some in the HOF with wasted careers.

Yep, this man lives a blessed life. Hot wife, great kids, makes like 17 million a year to work 17 weeks a year. For the next 6 months he plays golf 3-4 times a week. Romo made 127 million during his NFL career, and he will easily surpass that as an announcer.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yep, this man lives a blessed life. Hot wife, great kids, makes like 17 million a year to work 17 weeks a year. For the next 6 months he plays golf 3-4 times a week. Romo made 127 million during his NFL career, and he will easily surpass that as an announcer.

I’m sure if he saw some of these posts with fans saying his career was wasted he would laugh.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
That was a brutal self own, I am surprised he can joke about it all these years later. I mean, that is his playoff legacy that he will always be remembered for.

Dak better hope he can win some playoff games or that QB keeper with no timeouts will be his legacy, the play he will always be remembered for.

Brax

Reaction score
Found this ..

K-balls are footballs used by the NFL for kicking plays. Shipped in directly from the Wilson factory, these balls are generally considered to be slicker and harder than the average football. They are kept separated from the rest of the balls, and a special ball boy watches over them.

The original intention was to make sure that each kick had a new ball. However, many kickers have complained about not getting time to break the balls in (quarterbacks, for example, have time to rub the game balls and get rid of the "newness").

Originally. 12 K-balls were rotated during the game to make sure each was used the same amount of times. Since the balls were straight out of the box, they tended to be slick and generally more difficult to handle.

The K-ball drew attention in the 2007 postseason, when they were partially blamed for a Tony Romo fumble. Romo, the Cowboys quarterback, was going to hold the kick during a last-minute field goal try against the Seattle Seahawks. He ended up fumbling the slick ball, and the Dallas Cowboys lost the game and were eliminated from the playoffs.

After that, new policies were put into place regarding the K-Ball. These balls are now marked 1 through 12. Ball-number-one is used on the initial kickoff, and it is continually used until it's no longer a option. Then, ball-number-two is brought into play.

Yet another Cowboys rule modification :D
To be honest what Coach has his starting QB as the holder unless it's an emergency situation. Seattle brough home field advantage to a new high. Still believe JW had a first down but that's how the ball bounces.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Tragic that a starting QB is playing special teams in a playoff game.

But oh well....15 years ago
That was on the coaches. I believe that was his first year taking over the starting job. Since he had been the #2 QB he was used to holding kicks. Not sure why they didn’t change his role.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be honest what Coach has his starting QB as the holder unless it's an emergency situation. Seattle brough home field advantage to a new high. Still believe JW had a first down but that's how the ball bounces.
I am not arguing for it, but I can tell you the logic used back then.

There were two parts of the thought process used in the past behind having a quarterback hold for your kicker.

The first was to put the ball in the hands of a quarterback in case of a bad snap or a fake kick call.

The second was to provide consistency for the kicker as different holders tend to have different positioning, angles, etc. and by using a starting or backup quarterback, you knew that guy was likely to be on the team all season.

Eventually teams shifted to using the punter as the holder a lot more probably because they are both kickers and have more time to practice together.

That said, I agree with you. Using a backup quarterback as the holder is fine, but when the backup quarterback becomes the starter, the new backup should become the holder.