News: FS: Tony Romo had a Hall of Fame-worthy self own before Bengals game-winning field goal

DFWJC

Reaction score
To be honest what Coach has his starting QB as the holder unless it's an emergency situation. Seattle brough home field advantage to a new high. Still believe JW had a first down but that's how the ball bounces.
No coach has done it sense then, I can tell you that much.
15 years, 32 teams. Not one team

To be fair Tony, he DID do his job as a QB on that drive.
Just not as a special teamer. To his credit, he always too full responsibility...slick ball or not.

NFL changed the rule on special team balls after that.
No giving the visiting team a shiny new, unbroken-in ball like that....they use their own balls now.

Brax

Reaction score
I am not arguing for it, but I can tell you the logic used back then.

There were two parts of the thought process used in the past behind having a quarterback hold for your kicker.

The first was to put the ball in the hands of a quarterback in case of a bad snap or a fake kick call.

The second was to provide consistency for the kicker as different holders tend to have different positioning, angles, etc. and by using a starting or backup quarterback, you knew that guy was likely to be on the team all season.

Eventually teams shifted to using the punter as the holder a lot more probably because they are both kickers and have more time to practice together.

That said, I agree with you. Using a backup quarterback as the holder is fine, but when the backup quarterback becomes the starter, the new backup should become the holder.
Well said, I can't remember a starting QB as a holder and I have watched NFL since 63, usually like you said the backup or punter I just never understood Parcells logic.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
People are saying how much it upsets them for Tony to bring up that play in jest. What upsets me more is Cowboys fans saying he somehow was NOT wasted. I don't think Romo will ever be fully appreciated by this fanbase. This stupid play haunted Tony Romo throughout his whole career and will continue to be the "take" of "football fans" when asked what they think of Romo.

Tony has done this self-deprecation before...even at the Super Bowl when (I'm paraphrasing) he mentioned he always wanted to be at the Super Bowl.

It's a good tactic to poke fun at yourself to let people know you're self-aware and it doesn't bother you.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
That was a brutal self own, I am surprised he can joke about it all these years later. I mean, that is his playoff legacy that he will always be remembered for.

Dak better hope he can win some playoff games or that QB keeper with no timeouts will be his legacy, the play he will always be remembered for.
I think getting robbed on the Dez catch is more memorable .

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Have seen more and more people growing tired of Romo's announcing style on social media.

I enjoy him, but I'm probably bias.

Just something I haven't seen much of in the past

starfan1

Reaction score
was a great comment its good to be able to look at your past and laugh at it. The dude is set up for life as is his family and he's doing something he likes.and thats pretty much the only way he sniffs the hall is his commentary

DFWJC

Reaction score
Definitely a few twists and turns, but Romo was part of changes

"But after Tony Romo, serving as a holder, was unable to handle a brand new ball in a Dallas Cowboys’ playoff game in 2007 against the Seattle Seahawks, a fumble that cost the Cowboys a win, the rules were changed again. The dozen balls were numbered 1-12 and ball No. 1 was used on the initial kickoff and remained in play until it was no longer an option, at which point K-Ball No. 2 was used and so on and so forth."

jrumann59

Reaction score
Definitely a few twists and turns, but Romo was part of changes

"But after Tony Romo, serving as a holder, was unable to handle a brand new ball in a Dallas Cowboys’ playoff game in 2007 against the Seattle Seahawks, a fumble that cost the Cowboys a win, the rules were changed again. The dozen balls were numbered 1-12 and ball No. 1 was used on the initial kickoff and remained in play until it was no longer an option, at which point K-Ball No. 2 was used and so on and so forth."
the K-Ball was because kickers were straight up doctoring balls. as in they took a batch a balls and did god knows what to them. Some were microwaved, rolled around in mud, over inflated etc. After Romo the NFL did have the new balls "broken" in so they did not have the sheen to them. But that was it.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Throw me a brand new shiny ball in the rain and if I drop it, I will only blame myself. The ball being new may be the worst excuse for a player muffing a ball I have ever heard.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I thought it was a team game.

Only when it's convenient?
I have no idea what you’re referring to. It is a team game. Thank you we’re talking about an individual personality. No one person can ruin another’s career. What’s so hard to understand about that

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no idea what you’re referring to. It is a team game. Thank you we’re talking about an individual personality. No one person can ruin another’s career. What’s so hard to understand about that
Of course one person can ruin someones career.