FS1:The Cowboys are making a mistake passing on DeAndre Hopkins

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I agree as our offense needs all the help it can get........

a great example of I have no idea about football, I heard a name from the past, so I am going to say we need him type of post from a clueless fan.

describe to us what a go route is (I start you off easy).....google is your best friend.

Lets Extend Dak and make him the highest paid QB in NFL. come on Jerry do it. :grin:

Adreme

Reaction score
No team prepares to tank during the offseason. They attempted to trade Hopkins and there were no takers. They don’t feel he’s worth the money anymore. He’s missed a number of games with injuries and a suspension and although he’s still a good player, he’s lost a step or two. He’s been available for nine days and no one has snatched him up yet.
That is very naive thinking. They know Kyler won’t play most of the year so are prepping for the following year. Teams know when it’s a rebuilding year.

We already saw just 2 years ago how the Cardinals loot like the best team in football with Hopkins before he got hurt. Then he took a suspension but considering he was also highly productive.

Now we are in June and cap space is minimal and rosters are largely built. When you look at the teams that would have been in, most have already made moves so even though Hopkins is an upgrade over them (such as OBJ), you are basically left with the AFC East and Browns (maybe the Chiefs).

There is also no real rush for Hopkins. He can sign now or in 2-3 weeks and nothing changes.

Finally people said the same thing about Jimmy G then he got paid immediately despite an actual injury history.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Heard an anonymous scout say Hopkins can still make the contested catch as well as anybody in the league, but injuries have taken away his explosiveness. Likely not worth the cost at this point in his career. I doubt he will get signed until some team loses a #1 or #2 WR to injury in camp

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That is very naive thinking. They know Kyler won’t play most of the year so are prepping for the following year. Teams know when it’s a rebuilding year.

We already saw just 2 years ago how the Cardinals loot like the best team in football with Hopkins before he got hurt. Then he took a suspension but considering he was also highly productive.

Now we are in June and cap space is minimal and rosters are largely built. When you look at the teams that would have been in, most have already made moves so even though Hopkins is an upgrade over them (such as OBJ), you are basically left with the AFC East and Browns (maybe the Chiefs).

There is also no real rush for Hopkins. He can sign now or in 2-3 weeks and nothing changes.

Finally people said the same thing about Jimmy G then he got paid immediately despite an actual injury history.

It’s naïve thinking to believe a team that just hired a new head coach is preparing to tank. The way head coaches come and go each year Gannon may only get a couple of seasons to start turning the Cardinals around. A team can rebuild without tanking. I wouldn’t be comparing a QB with a WR. Teams are desperate for QBs, which is why so many retreads keep being given opportunities each year. Jimmy G wins games and has led a team to a Super Bowl. Teams aren’t winning with Hopkins. He’s still a good player but it’s not like he’s made a huge difference.

Flamma

Reaction score
It's like they don't realize that there is a salary cap.
I was going to say that. He talked as if money wasn't an issue. What was OBJ making on the Rams, 6M? Von Miller left when the Rams wouldn't pay him. If DHop wants to come to Dallas for 1 year 5-6 mil, fine. But he's probably looking for market value. His happens to be 23M. I think he's looking for something close to that right now. I doubt he gets it. But if you want t bring him in right away, it will be a big payday.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Acho, Tim the ex useless QB guy, and every other ESPN guy are totally clueless about Dallas football. They cannot see the forest through the trees in regards to much needed changes on our offense, and are perfectly content with regular season stats not making a difference in the post season..I cannot even watch these clowns anymore, that's how bad it has become

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes. You need to surround this stiff QB with as much talent as possible.

They should be going all in instead of being content with just Cooks.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

They are for sure tanking. They're clearing cap space for next season and prepping to have two top-5ish picks.

Install Gannon's systems and culture this year, give him freedom to pick his players next year. Basically what Buffalo did.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well I dont know if hopkins is still healthy, or good as he was couple years ago.
But if he is the question is, is he better than lamb?
Is lamb really a # 1 ? Is he worth the big contract jerry will give him?
I would be tempted to trade lamb if I can get a #1 next year and a #4 or 5 in 25.
Avoid that big contract, and draft another guy in 1st or 2nd round in 24.

Get hopkins if still good,and short 2 year contract, and let him be stop gap wr #1

Also I read that dallas is looking at dalvin cook, dont know what that would cost or if he is still good, but interesting, if pollard and cook were the main
2 RBs.

Only problem is mike says he doesnt want to be a smart coach :huh: and that dak is smart HOF qb :oops:
I know no one will want to trade lamb, but just imagine having 2 round 1 picks in 24 !
And thats how you get those, trade him at the right time for max value, and get someone else in the draft, who would be at start of rookie deal.

I just dont think lamb is worth the big deal lamb will want and jerry will give him.
Lamb was known for runs after catch in college, and he hasnt done much of that in his time here.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's funny. I loved the Mazi pick because of the same reason your listed, plus I like the player.

But I also disliked the pick because I felt it was more of a long term move when it's clear to me we should either have a sense of urgency, or start the rebuild now.
I hear you my friend. If Mazi is good, I think he will have good impact right away. I believe DT is a position where productivity can be immediate. Far different from QB, center, safety or middle lb.

Hardline

Reaction score
Yes. You need to surround this stiff QB with as much talent as possible.

They should be going all in instead of being content with just Cooks.
The player that would maximize Daks talent is Derrick Henry.