FT: Is Jason Garrett a Top-10 coach in the NFL?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
How ever anybody with a claim to fame of franchise fandom feels compelled to frame the tenured nature of head coach Jason Garrett's coachly career, he's remained firmly enstaunched in that of his appointed position,,,er,,,I mean, it wasn't like some kinda' 'coach-off' had been conducted in order to discern the most suitable of coachingly like qualities in the organization's determination,,, so,,,ya know,,,He's got that going for him in his favor,,,er,,,as that is a kinda' important+

o_O

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett isn't the 27th best coach. I would put him around 20.

But the talent on this team is, if not top 5, then very close. The HC is the limiting factor. He's why we won't get over the top despite the excellent accrued talent.

I agree Garrett has limitations, but he hasn't been the only limiting factor. For example, you may be right that the talent is at least close to top 5 now, but it hasn't always been. The talent on defense has been pretty poor much of Garrett's time as head coach, Romo had some injury issues, and the running game has been up and down until the last 3 years.

I think fans often overestimate talent relative to other teams because that's what they want to believe. And I don't knock that - I can be the same way. It's natural that fans look for positives because they want the team to succeed, but realistically not every player has the potential that fans ascribe to them. Prospects are called prospects for a reason, and even top of the heap prospects don't always live up to the expectation.

I personally would put Garrett about middle of the pack - not a top head coach, but not a bottom one either.

Sydla

Reaction score
There's no way I'm putting Shurmur, Gase, Patricia, BOB, John Gruden, or Rivera over him.

The 1st year guys-who knows?

I think a case can be made for Rivera. They have roughly the same winning percentage (Garrett's is .566 versus .559). But Rivera has coached to the SB. Garrett has never even sniffed a conference champ game.

I mean if Garrett had made a SB people would be crowing about that when trying to defend him.

quickccc

Reaction score
In my book:
1 belichek
2 Payton
3 pederson
4 reid
5 mcvay
6 Reich
7 zimmer
8 Tomlin
9 harbaugh
10 Shanahan

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I think a case can be made for Rivera. They have roughly the same winning percentage (Garrett's is .566 versus .559). But Rivera has coached to the SB. Garrett has never even sniffed a conference champ game.

I mean if Garrett had made a SB people would be crowing about that when trying to defend him.

At this time, I believe JG is a better coach than Rivera. Rivera did have that two game run before losing in the SB with a 15-1 roster.

I don't see having two playoff wins in a row as far and away better than have playoff wins two separate times.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
It's funny how JG over the last 3 seasons has the 2nd best record in the NFL with consistency at the QB position. No Tyron, no problem, no Freddie....no problem, no Zeke....no problem, no Dez......no problem, no Witten.....no problem but up until we got lucky and was forced to draft Dak, no Romo....BIG problem. Mind you Romo was a better player than Dak has been the last 3 seasons. I guess the best ability is availability.

pitt33

Reaction score
Garrett sucks. The guy is pure garbage! Maybe Jerry will figure this out in another 20 years?! The owner and some fans love a soft football team that gets their nuts handed to them in a goody bag every January! A little parting favor!
The January exits will be the end of him.

I truly believe most will get their wish after this season. Count me as one of those...

Sydla

Reaction score
At this time, I believe JG is a better coach than Rivera. Rivera did have that two game run before losing in the SB with a 15-1 roster.

I don't see having two playoff wins in a row as far and away better than have playoff wins two separate times.

I don't know, I think that's kind of silly thinking winning only one playoff game in each of two seasons is better than actually coaching a team to a SB in one season.

PS - Rivera won a playoff game the year before they made the SB too. So he too, has won playoff games in two seasons like Garrett.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
In my book:
1 belichek
2 Payton
3 pederson
4 reid
5 mcvay
6 Reich
7 zimmer
8 Tomlin
9 harbaugh
10 Shanahan
I didnt realize Manning was a coach....and Jason is definitely better than Tomlin.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I don't know, I think that's kind of silly thinking winning only one playoff game in each of two seasons is better than actually coaching a team to a SB in one season.

PS - Rivera won a playoff game the year before they made the SB too. So he too, has won playoff games in two seasons like Garrett.

Eh coaching a team in the Super Bowl with two wins and losing to an inferior roster doesn't impress me all that much. It counts for something for sure, but nothing to exonerate the rest.

WOW!!! The Panthers made it to the playoffs with a 7-8-1 record!?!?! How the hell? Oh then they beat the Cardinals with Ryan Lindley which shouldn't count towards his playoff wins.

Big_D

Reaction score
The January exits will be the end of him.

I truly believe most will get their wish after this season. Count me as one of those...

We can only hope Jerry finally smartens up.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
It may be that Jason needs a change or needs to move on but that doesn't make him a bad coach. Tony Dungy had to move on from Tampa. You can count on one hand how many HC's would have been able to overcome Romo going down for an entire season in 2016 and still have just a decent team much less a contender.
His greatest accomplishment was overcoming romos injury in 2015.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It may be that Jason needs a change or needs to move on but that doesn't make him a bad coach. Tony Dungy had to move on from Tampa. You can count on one hand how many HC's would have been able to overcome Romo going down for an entire season in 2016 and still have just a decent team much less a contender.
We differ on this topic. I see a coach who underachieves the talent he fields. You see a coach whose team's record indicates he's a good coach. Even if i shared your view, I don't think i could put him in the top 10. So, fair discussion with different conclusions.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's funny how JG over the last 3 seasons has the 2nd best record in the NFL with consistency at the QB position. No Tyron, no problem, no Freddie....no problem, no Zeke....no problem, no Dez......no problem, no Witten.....no problem but up until we got lucky and was forced to draft Dak, no Romo....BIG problem. Mind you Romo was a better player than Dak has been the last 3 seasons. I guess the best ability is availability.

You mean how getting to a top-8 finish with a top-15 roster and a top-12 QB is seen as a failure of coaching for some crazy reason? Now we have a top-5 roster in the league, you say? Well, then, anything less than a Superbowl victory has to be bad coaching, right?

Groupthink is powerful. People are still herd animals on some fundamental level and won't stray too far from consensus even when consensus doesn't make much sense.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You mean how getting to a top-8 finish with a top-15 roster and a top-12 QB is seen as a failure of coaching for some crazy reason? Now we have a top-5 roster in the league, you say? Well, then, anything less than a Superbowl victory has to be bad coaching, right?

Groupthink is powerful. People are still herd animals on some fundamental level and won't stray too far from consensus even when consensus doesn't make much sense.
No I mean.....consistency at the QB position