Funny Images Thread

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's a great book.

As for visualizing extra dimensional stuff. Here is a visualization of the Calabi-Yau shape he discusses on how the extra dimensions are rolled up! It's basically a single 1D shape (think a flat piece of paper) Then it's tightly rolled up into like a 3D shape.

iu
The thing that gets me is, how is this different from being in 3D space? It's all twisted and curled, but it how does it go beyond width, height, and depth?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The thing that gets me is, how is this different from being in 3D space? It's all twisted and curled, but it how does it go beyond width, height, and depth?

To explain my point of view, while it would obviously take a great deal of work, if this were made of plastic, it would be a 3D model, yes?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
To explain my point of view, while it would obviously take a great deal of work, if this were made of plastic, it would be a 3D model, yes?

What makes it so difficult is that we experience life in only 4 dimensions. (x, y, z & time) To describe another dimension when you have no experience of that dimension makes it really tough to not only visualize, but even rationalize!

Just imagine what would happen if one morning you woke up and all the sudden you were experiencing 5 dimensions! You would likely immediately get nauseous and start puking haha

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What makes it so difficult is that we experience life in only 4 dimensions. (x, y, z & time) To describe another dimension when you have no experience of that dimension makes it really tough to not only visualize, but even rationalize!

Just imagine what would happen if one morning you woke up and all the sudden you were experiencing 5 dimensions! You would likely immediately get nauseous and start puking haha
You'd also be smaller than a Planck length.

I'm gonna read String Theory for Dummies, and see if that helps fill in some of the blanks. I figure now that I have a better understanding, adding another perspective should solidify what I learned, and teach me some of what I didn't, like a refresher course.