Future Ring of Honor Inductees

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Romo is a no for me. Zack Martin and Jason Witten are definitely yes.

I’d actually be okay with Deion. He played just as many seasons here as he did in Atlanta.

Older players like Harvey Martin, Cornell Green, and Too Tall need to be up there.
Yeah before anything guys like Harvey Martin need to be up there. I honestly don't even know how you just skip over those guys and put guys like Ware in.

Cmac

Reaction score
Hard to say with Romo, he broke a lot of records here, but it also became more of a passing league compared to the other dallas qbs he beat. Cant say i wouldnt mind if he got in or didnt.
.....wouldn't that be the same for Witten too, benefited like the argument held on Romo?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Harvey Martin and Nate Newton need to be in, first and foremost. I think Harvey is often forgotten for such honors since he died so young.

I protest Deion going in for the same reason I protested Charles Haley going in - these guys aren't career Cowboys, even though they made lasting impacts to the club. I still view both of those guys as 49ers at the end of the day. Still love them both though.

I could maybe be okay with Novacek going in because he played for a bunch of horrible Cardinals teams before coming here and winning 3 Super Bowls. Also retired here.
Deion was only a 49er one season. It was a huge season, no doubt, but I I don't think of him as more a 49er than a Cowboy.

Still, I agree with your general thoughts on both Haley and Sanders. Sanders, in my mind, can easily be identified with the Falcons, 49ers and Cowboys, and he had a couple of other stops on top of that. He jumped around, and didn't spend the majority of his time with any team.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
.....wouldn't that be the same for Witten too, benefited like the argument held on Romo?
He was discussing Romo relative to other QBs in the history of the Cowboys. Witten is in the discussion with other TEs in the history of the NFL

Tussinman

Reaction score
Tyron Smith would have been deserving if he could have stayed healthy. Tyron was great but he has only played a full season of games four (4) times in his career despite playing 13 years.
Tyron by the end of this year will have regular season + playoffs over 170 professional starts all with the same franchise and has never missed the playoffs. His health hasn't been perfect but it's still extremely impressive (he could realistically finish his career top 15 all time in franchise games started)

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tyron by the end of this year will have regular season + playoffs over 170 professional starts all with the same franchise and has never missed the playoffs. His health hasn't been perfect but it's still extremely impressive (he could realistically finish his career top 15 all time in franchise games started)
He has only played in 8 playoff games in 13 years so far.

There is no question that when healthy, Tyron Smith has been one of the best offensive tackles in the NFL throughout his career.

However, "when healthy" is the key point because he did not play a full season of games in 9 of those 13 years.

It is also easy to forget sometimes that there are a lot of Cowboys offensive and defensive linemen from the pre-2000's teams that were great as well who played in a lot more than 8 playoff games, yet they are not in the RoH either.

There is still a chance Tyron Smith can earn a place in the RoH if the Cowboys win a Super Bowl before his Cowboys days are over while he is still starting.

Of course I won't be upset if Tyron gets added to the RoH one day because he has been a great player (when healthy) and is a great guy personally.

I just don't know if he deserves it at this point more so than several other former Cowboys players who played before him.

817Gill

Reaction score

There is no question that when healthy, Tyron Smith has been one of the best offensive tackles in the NFL throughout his career.

However, "when healthy" is the key point because he did not play a full season of games in 9 of those 13 years.

It is also easy to forget sometimes that there are a lot of Cowboys offensive and defensive linemen from the pre-2000's teams that were great as well who played in a lot more than 8 playoff games, yet they are not in the RoH either.

There is still a chance Tyron Smith can earn a place in the RoH if the Cowboys win a Super Bowl before his Cowboys days are over while he is still starting.

Of course I won't be upset if Tyron gets added to the RoH one day because he has been a great player (when healthy) and is a great guy personally.

I just don't know if he deserves it at this point more so than several other former Cowboys players who played before him.
I just don’t know how you keep a guy who’s likely a first ballot HOFer (if not HOF in general) and has been a career Cowboys out of the ROH.

HOF + Career Cowboy = ROH in my opinion

erod

Reaction score
Romo, Tyrone Smith, Zack Martin, Jerry Jones, & Witten will definitely get in the ring of honor.

Otherwise, who else SHOULD make it from the Jerry Jones era? I can't predict who will. Never know. Too early on Parsons, Lamb, & Dak.

T.O. did not win a playoff game here. At his best however, he was probably the best Cowboys receiver ever. Should he deserve consideration?

Deion Sanders-best cb ever

Jay Novacek

Moose Johnson

Dez Bryant

Demarcus Lawrence

What say you?
No TO or Deion. Weren't here long enough, and played for everybody.

Agree with the others, but need to add:

Harvey Martin (crime he's not in)
Too Tall Jones
Bill Bates (big part of the folklore)
Tony Hill
Everson Walls
Ralph Neely
Leon Lett

I would even consider Danny White, who got this team in the NFC Championship game multiple times with an old team.

erod

Reaction score

Seriously? Tyron was in 5 years ago.

He's by far the best offensive tackle in Cowboys history. Not even remotely a discussion.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly I don't know. I think ultimately a lot of guys from the Jerry era will make it.

Tyron, Martin and Witten i'd say are locks.

Romo probably is a lock to though i'd question why. Personally, I think Romo probably deserves it but then you have to question how exclusive is this ring of honor?

As of now I wouldn't put Moose, Novacek or D-Law in.

Prime wasn't here long enough.

TO wasn't here long enough.

Ring of Honor for the most part have all been guys who have made the Hall of Fame. I know there's a few exceptions like Woody but he'll eventually get in.

But if I had to assume who'd have the resume by then?

I'd say Dak finds his way in there, Lamb, MAYBE ZEKE, Parsons....Diggs maybe could if he keeps this up.
It’s a fair question. And as you mentioned earlier, Tyron Smith, Witten and Zack Martin are locks. I tend to lean toward making this more exclusive than the teams who let everyone in who the fans once loved.

I would categorize the possibilities this way:
LOCKS:
  • Jason Witten
  • Tyron Smith
  • Zack Martin
  • Jerry Jones (not my favorite but he should be there)
All four deserve to be in. Witten, Martin and Smith are headed to Canton and Jerry‘s already there. They are locks.

PROBABLY:
  • Tony Romo- not much that is lasting on his resume’ other than being as of now the all time leading passer in franchise history. For that I would likely put him in. That’s impressive and in my book it’s his only calling card. Don Meredith is in and I would put Romo in as that kind of entry.
  • Jay Novacek- he’s less likely than Romo but has a good resume based on his playoff accomplishments in Dallas during those SB years.
MAYBE
  • Moose Johnston- he would be a sentimental favorite. Certainly meant a lot to those SB teams and to Emmitt’s rushing.
  • Dak Prescott- if he has a deep playoff run and continues to catch Romo on club records, he has a decent shot. He’s only 30 so if he plays 5-7 more years and wins more playoff games he could make it.
  • Micah Parsons- he’s the closest to a lock but he will need some additional years to get there. Add some playoff wins and more stats and honors and he’s a lock.
  • Cedee Lamb- he will need several more seasons like the last two and also add some playoff wins too. His entry may be tied to Dak’s.

NO WAY (or shouldn’t)
  • Terrell Owens- TO is obviously a great player but he wasn’t here long enough IMO.
  • Deion Sanders- another great player- HOFer who shouldn’t be in because he wasnt here long enough.
  • Dez Bryant- I loved Dez in his day but other than his team receiving TD record he doesn’t have a stellar resume’.
IMO the greatest opportunity to earn “ROH“ status for the guys currently playing will hinge mostly on what this team does in the playoffs. And it should.

Motorola

Reaction score
Romo, Tyrone Smith, Zack Martin, Jerry Jones, & Witten will definitely get in the ring of honor.

Otherwise, who else SHOULD make it from the Jerry Jones era? I can't predict who will. Never know. Too early on Parsons, Lamb, & Dak.

T.O. did not win a playoff game here. At his best however, he was probably the best Cowboys receiver ever. Should he deserve consideration?

Deion Sanders-best cb ever

Jay Novacek

Moose Johnson

Dez Bryant

Demarcus Lawrence

What say you?
Except for a season or two here elsewhere (Howley, Dorsett, Ware) at the beginning or near the end, all of the ROH players wore the Cowboys uniform all of their NFL careers.

Owens was with Dallas only 3 out of his 15 season's, with nearl y the first half of it (7 years) with San Francisco.

Sanders was with Dallas 5 of his 14 seasons, but he was an NFL superstar long before he signed with Dallas.

Both players being HOF successful over their many years with other teams begs the question do they fit the designation of being in the Ring of Honor the other inductees share?

Tractor1

Reaction score
I think you should have to win something before consideration. I liked Romo, but he missed his chance in 2014. What has Witten done other than lose for a long time. I'd put Novacek in before 82.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3ac87ecda917e8aca85ec2ac81b13356.jpg

0411_crazy_ray_8573015_ver1.0.jpg