Recommended Fuzzy Thoughts on PS vs. Ravens

Bluestang

Reaction score
Good god the excuses for Parnell are just everywhere.

He sucked before the injury and now that's the excuse that he still sucks?

Parnell might just be on this roster by default because we have nothing to challenge him from the swing tackle spot.

Evaluations can be wrong, it's not the end of the world by any means, but Parnell has no upside at this stage in his career.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Parnell is the swing tackle. They aren't going to put a rookie udfa at that spot and Wetzel is only a RT/G prospect anyway. Weems was the only guy that was going to press Parnell for the job and he's been MIA because of injury.

I don't think Parnell needs to do much "swinging" at this point.

If Smith went down, then Free would go that side and Martin could play RT, with either Bern or Leary taking over for him at guard.

A developmental tackle would be fine at this point... provided the guy has some upside. If neither Weems nor Wetzel have the goods then so be it.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I don't think Parnell needs to do much "swinging" at this point.

If Smith went down, then Free would go that side and Martin could play RT, with either Bern or Leary taking over for him at guard.

A developmental tackle would be fine at this point... provided the guy has some upside. If neither Weems nor Wetzel have the goods then so be it.

They have swing tackles for a reason. NFL coaches do not want to move around guys that much.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Not sure where this Vaughn nonsense comes from.
Right now he is QB4 on our depth chart.
I think he is clearly our third best guy and warrants develop but keeping him on the roster is pointless.
He is years away from being even an NFL back up.
He is the epitome of PS guy.

We've rued about 10 different developmental QBs. Maybe 2 of those 10 actually won NFL games but not a single one has been worth rueing.

If you're not sure just yet, I'm thinking you'll very possibly be moved in that direction before these preseason games are done.
He may be a QB4 on the depth chart but everything about him suggests someone with all the tools necessary to make it big.
Relegating him to the PS would simply ensure us of losing someone with the obvious potential to become an eventual #1 QB.
The QB prospects of the past are just that, nothing more. That spot and the potential for success it offers is too much to lose.
We have enough DL scrubs to easily be able to afford canning one of them in order to retain someone with his potential, imo.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
They don't want to move guys that much but they do...specifically players have talked about cross training to play more than one position.

On a lot of these topics:

I think you protect Vaughn and keep him on the roster. He might be safe on PS but I just don't know. He has remarkable poise for a rookie.

At RB, I think we keep the four RB's and no TE. We can use a TE as an H-back if need be.

WR...if it was me, Harris would probably be the guy on the outside, but he is the only real returner we have and is a good ST guy. I might go short on the OL and keep 6 WR.

OL - Leary is better than Bernadeau...he needs to start at LG. Bernadeau is a solid game day swing interior OL. I like Wetzel better than Parnell or Weems. I like the backup center Patrick. That is 8 linemen. We probably only keep one more. Parnell has not shown me anything. My eyes tell me Wetzel has done a better job. Weeden was getting crushed due to Parnell.

TE - Hanna's drops are frustrating because he is such a smooth looking receiver. I think we stick with the three we have and then maybe keep Watson if he shows ability as an H-Back type

DE - Selvie and Mincey both looked decent. Wilber gets a little heat when he is in there on passing downs. Most of the other DE's were not in sight last night.

DT - Hayden played better last night but he cannot be the starter. Praying McClain and Melton are ready to go for season and hope we hear some news on Brent. Not sure if Okoye has a chance to help at all. Minter looked good...showing two things....good burst off the snap and some power. Hope to see it against some starters. Coleman played a little better. Bishop looked particularly bad to me last night.

LB - McClain is too good not to start. Put him in the middle, Durant wherever you think he is best and then let the rest fight for the other spot.

S - Wilcox and Church will be a solid tandem. Heath and Dixon are probably the backups.

CB - Patmon made a couple plays. Mitchell is a work in progress but I like him. Didn't notice much about Green last night either way. Probably keep Webb or Moore, but not both. I think Webb is awful myself so I would keep Moore.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Parnell might just be on this roster by default because we have nothing to challenge him from the swing tackle spot.

Evaluations can be wrong, it's not the end of the world by any means, but Parnell has no upside at this stage in his career.

That's already been put in a quasi positive light in discussion above. Want to prove otherwise then here's your chance...

I wouldn't flip with Doug Free for any circumstance now. He failed miserably there, and was immediately replaced by a second year player in Smith. The team had to get his attention, after difficult adjustments on the right side, with a take or leave it bare bones contract.

No sir, I would first put Parnell on the left side, where he at least wouldn't have to be hid...unlike Free on the right side. Or I would pull off a very painful trade for a legitimate upgrade at tackle and go with that.

Zordon

Reaction score

One thing I don't like about CZ is the excuses that are made for marginal players. Parnell is 28, he is what he is. The only reason he hasn't be replaced is b/c we can't find a development tackle with any semblance of potential.

Bluestang

Reaction score
One thing I don't like about CZ is the excuses that are made for marginal players. Parnell is 28, he is what he is. The only reason he hasn't be replaced is b/c we can't find a development tackle with any semblance of potential.

Wetzel might be that guy but last night he only played on the right side. He had some bad plays too but you have to look at upside.

Broaddus has said multiple times that they may upgrade the swing tackle position from the waiver wire.

CCBoy

Reaction score
'...hello Country Bumpkin...is the frost still on the pumpkin?'

Bluestang

Reaction score
Correction on Minter:

The rushing TD that he got blown up on was the opening drive of the Ravens in the second half. 2nd team OL.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Parnell graded out well in two Left Tackle starts in his first year on the roster, which was two years after the first time a coach explained the difference between the pointed and round parts of a football. Giving a guy with above average physical skills a chance to make the roster isn't "excuse making", its player development.

Also consider that Free is scheduled to count 11MM against the cap next year and will either be cut or forced into another serious pay cut. Having a legit option at RT helps the team on multiple levels.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Parnell graded out well in two Left Tackle starts in his first year on the roster, which was two years after the first time a coach explained the difference between the pointed and round parts of a football. Giving a guy with above average physical skills a chance to make the roster isn't "excuse making", its player development.

Also consider that Free is scheduled to count 11MM against the cap next year and will either be cut or forced into another serious pay cut. Having a legit option at RT helps the team on multiple levels.

It is entirely up to the club if they want to keep him, because 2016/2107 are club options.

So the option could be waived, he can be brought back in for a lesser salary, or we draft someone to replace him, slide Martin to the RT spot, and draft an OG.

gmoney112

Reaction score

Zordon is a massive hater and won't listen to a word you say, just a heads up.

Yeah, Parnell looked decent in his LT starts and in his preseason work when he was blowing up Geno Atkins and Michael Johnson last year. I don't know what happened to the guy but he definitely regressed. He went from "potential starter at RT" to "liability" pretty quickly.

I still think the defense surprises a bit this year and we'll take a RT fairly high in the draft after making a big splash in FA with the front 7. Free won't be here with his cap hit.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It is entirely up to the club if they want to keep him, because 2016/2107 are club options.

So the option could be waived, he can be brought back in for a lesser salary, or we draft someone to replace him, slide Martin to the RT spot, and draft an OG.

If you moved Martin over, you would doubly weaken both him and two positions. Martin is best suited for interior duty, and was evaluated as such.

The better alternative would be to resign Doug Free for a two year contract and at a reasonable cap hit. Leave Martin at his guard position, and continue his growth process before disturbing that. Then draft a strong replacement offensive tackle this next draft. That is economical and a resolution to future need as well.

Bluestang

Reaction score
If you moved Martin over, you would doubly weaken both him and two positions. Martin is best suited for interior duty, and was evaluated as such.

The better alternative would be to resign Doug Free for a two year contract and at a reasonable cap hit. Leave Martin at his guard position, and continue his growth process before disturbing that. Then draft a strong replacement offensive tackle this next draft. That is economical and a resolution to future need as well.

That's a solid plan.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Wetzel might be that guy but last night he only played on the right side. He had some bad plays too but you have to look at upside.

Broaddus has said multiple times that they may upgrade the swing tackle position from the waiver wire.
It's rare that teams put out competent swing tackles (or guys that can play the left side period) other than older vets who want more money and to start. Plus it would need to be someone who has experience in a zone blocking scheme. Odds are not good for that to happen.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Exactly. The best case scenario is that Free plays well and the team wants to bring him back at a lower salary. My point on Parnell is that having a reasonable alternative to Free gives the team leverage in the negotiations or the option to just cut ties with Free completely.

I'm not saying Parnell is the answer, I posted after the SD game that he looked a lot worse in that game than he did in his 2012 playing time. I'm just saying he still have upside if he is healthy and isn't a scrub journeyman.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Zordon is a massive hater and won't listen to a word you say, just a heads up.

Yeah, Parnell looked decent in his LT starts and in his preseason work when he was blowing up Geno Atkins and Michael Johnson last year. I don't know what happened to the guy but he definitely regressed. He went from "potential starter at RT" to "liability" pretty quickly.

I still think the defense surprises a bit this year and we'll take a RT fairly high in the draft after making a big splash in FA with the front 7. Free won't be here with his cap hit.

Hopefully its all about an injury that heals up, he has definitely been a long way from his 2012 form.

And I have haters/blowhards on Ignore but don't put Zordon in that category at all. There are plenty of good guys that are glass-half-empty types who contribute a lot. I get negativity and respect it, I put the guys on Ignore that are braindead bashers or malicious.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Martin and Free can play LT. Wetzel can play right. It's not ideal but i see it as manageable.