Recommended Fuzzy Thoughts on PS vs. Ravens

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On Parnell, and I don't know the extent of his injury...but this last Wednesday and Thursday practices he missed time for his knee. That could have had an effect on his play.

Everybody has covered my thoughts. Murray is not the same RB he was a couple years ago, not bad, but not the same. Weeden has to make throws, even when he wasn't under pressure, I wasn't impressed. We have to keep Vaughn.

Both Walker and myself expected more from Parnell, he seems to be playing with no hunger at all, I don't get it. Can we please stop running Dunbar up the middle, at least use some miss direction. I don't care who's on ST, there's no excuse for that mess. I know the ravens aren't a offensive juggernaut, but the defense did okay, not like world class okay, but I didn't throw up once.

Parnell was playing through a knee injury. I heard a report that his knee is probably worse than the knee issue that kept Claiborne out of the previous game. He probably should have taken the easy way out and just sat out this game. He looked much better last week.

CCBoy

Reaction score
On the anti Jerry stuff...get a room.

Hey, anyone else a touch interested in seeing Okoye this coming week?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Parnell was playing through a knee injury. I heard a report that his knee is probably worse than the knee issue that kept Claiborne out of the previous game. He probably should have taken the easy way out and just sat out this game. He looked much better last week.

Thanks as always, X...

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I didn't see it with Wilcox like some of you. He took better angles tackling last night, but still seems to take consistently longer than anyone else to diagnose and his angles when the ball is in the air are terrible. He does flash the natural athletic ability so many here love, but I am just not sure he will ever pick up the cerebral aspects of be a FS, particularly one-high.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Parnell is the longest tenured Cowboy that is not a full time starter.

He was having a poor camp before the knee injury.

Let that sink in.

itsaboat

Reaction score
Say what you will about Parnell but this was a nice play

TenderWildGoa.gif

CCBoy

Reaction score
I didn't see it with Wilcox like some of you. He took better angles tackling last night, but still seems to take consistently longer than anyone else to diagnose and his angles when the ball is in the air are terrible. He does flash the natural athletic ability so many here love, but I am just not sure he will ever pick up the cerebral aspects of be a FS, particularly one-high.

I look at his area of coverage...actual real estate that he claims by his talents. He is getting a good deal better now. The final inches are often the luck of the draw, but he is meeting job requirements as established by the Cowboys. In a few situations, one can moonlight on technique, but the majority of them.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Say what you will about Parnell but this was a nice play

TenderWildGoa.gif

Good find, for sure. Parnell has the strength, unquestioned. Knowing what we do now concerning his knee, that well could be the point missed in observing for last night. Thanks.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I look at his area of coverage...actual real estate that he claims by his talents. He is getting a good deal better now. The final inches are often the luck of the draw, but he is meeting job requirements as established by the Cowboys. In a few situations, one can moonlight on technique, but the majority of them.

He has been asked to, and does cover, large amounts of real estate, which is still new to him so I am not totally bagging on him. I still see potential. I just have the same question marks I have had since day one and generally they pertain to his instincts and football IQ. Neither really seems to have progressed much, he just seems more comfortable in his assignments--if that makes sense.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I have no idea what I stepped in.... But my opinion is based on what i saw there times whn our swing tackle is getting beat by number twos, I do not expect him to be all-pro but average to slightly above average versus 1's, and above average to good against twos. Now I do not have the all-22 and things to look at so based on what i saw, against a good pass rusher over the LT Parnell is just too slow. I know he has the look but I think the experiment of converting a DL to OL is failure at this point. Best case scenario his needle is neither up or down and if we can get one of the OT that are already on the team to match his production no need to keep him.

Parnell is actually a converted TE. Transitioning players from one position to another is not always a success but it usually takes time. Landry, and Jimmy believe it or not, we're very successful at it. That said not a Parnell fan but even so it looks like he's regressed.

And not sure I agree with OPs assessment of Murray. This was his first live action, like Romo & Witten, so a little rust is expected. But I'm excited to see what he can produce if this was a Murray at less than 100%, as he was by far the most complete back out there. Running, pass pro & receiving. On his long run, he picks up more than 15 if Martin just chooses an angle on the LB, waited way to long and Murray was waiting patiently on his blocking until it was too late.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
before reading a ton of reviews wanted to offer my own initial scattershooting thoughts....

Zach Minter was a good find. He'll make a perfectly nice back up DT who can play 15-20 snaps a game.

3 runs and then a pass to Dez is going to be impossible to stop ... IF the OL will stop committing penalties.
Zach and Tyron are simply too highly skilled/valued/drafted to commit penalties.
That has to stop. We can't run the ball when we are constantly in 18 yard to go situations.
There is an incessant whine about too much passing but this a large reason why.
We can't trust this bellcow of an OL not to get stupid penalties.
That needs to be a huge focus the final two playdate games.

I'd keep 4 RB. We go through them during the year like paper towels. Not at all hard to envision week 9 or 10 having to start Ryan Williams.
If Murray and Dunbar are gonna be 1-2 then we need 4. I'd go 4th RB before 3rd QB, 10th OL or 6th WR.

Dez... good grief that dude is just better than everyone else. He throws the ball farther than any of our QBs, is stronger than most of our LBs... and can flat run by most of our DBs.

R. McClain can play. That dude is an athlete. Not sure where his head is or if you can count on him for the season while Lee recovers but he offers athleticism we just don't have otherwise.

Bruce Carter. If Dallas can keep Carter covering middle of the field stuff that cat can be a plus starter. He has plenty of strength and quickness inside but you get him turned around chasing to the sideline and he is lost. The team needs to find ways for him to succeed and not ask him to do things that put him in a bad spot.

JJ Wilcox has a chance to be really special. He can flat our run and hit. If he can stay lined up correctly we have a quality safety with Pro Bowl upside. He's a better version of Church imho.

--game itself. I hate pre-season games. I really do. watching one teams 1sts versus some other teams 3rds isn't any fun at all. Not for the winning nor losing fan base.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Parnell is a big candidate to be cut... Between his poor play this training camp/preseason and his large salary (for a backup) he's on real thin ice.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
I hope a team that likes a player like Newsome would be willing to part with a late round pick for him before final cuts to ensure that they get the player. Or maybe we could trade him, or one of the RBs, for a player (DE/LB/OT) on a team that is in a similar situation (having to cut a good player).

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
R. McClain can play. That dude is an athlete. Not sure where his head is or if you can count on him for the season while Lee recovers but he offers athleticism we just don't have otherwise.

To me the guy simply looks like he knows what to do as a linebacker. I can't say that about Carter, Holloman and Wilbur.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
various from thread....

Vaughn is a quality developmental guy but still an extreme long shot to ever start in this league. So he goes to PS. If another teams wants to put him on their active roster so be it. He'll waste a spot for them for 2-3 years.

For this DL to work the team has to find a workable rotation where 8 guys play and they keep the right mix in at given times.
Seattle excelled there with the right DL in at the right times and everyone staying fresh.
Easier to talk about that than actually do it.
Were I the Coach I'd have queue cards to tell me who to play in various situations so I could get guys in quickly between plays.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
To me the guy simply looks like he knows what to do as a linebacker. I can't say that about Carter, Holloman and Wilbur.

He's just more of a grown man than those guys.
At 6'4" and 260 he is by far the biggest and longest of the bunch.
He moves as well as any of them. He's only a 4.6 40 guy but he has tremendous explosion and strength.
No OL seems to relish blocking him.