Recommended Fuzzy Thoughts on PS vs. Ravens

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think Parnell is a big candidate to be cut... Between his poor play this training camp/preseason and his large salary (for a backup) he's on real thin ice.

I hear this a lot but just don't buy it.
Parnell is not a starting caliber guy but he has proven he can chomp down and play in NFL games without hurting you.
He makes 1.8m which is hardly some fortune. He makes less than our top interior back up, Bern.
He did get beaten badly last night a couple times but Tyron was flat out smoked and tackled a guy as well and he is arguably the best OL in football.

I could see us shift Martin outside to RT next year and let Free walk but to me Parnell is fairly safe until a draft pick beats him out.
If next year they add a r3-r5 OT he'd have to seriously worry. ---I don't think they'd add a r1 or r2 OL regardless of value given the insane needs elsewhere.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Good thread with some nice contributions. I'm hesitant to evaluate injured players. I'm still a Parnell fan until I see him playing poorly and he's not injured. I know the staff still likes him and Weems. I don't really have an opinion on Weems and last nite I can't moderate and really watch a game critically so I didn't notice Wetzel except he's big.

Having said that about Parnell I agree with Winicki he's on thin ice. You have to produce at some point or you're just not helping. He'll make it to the final cut but he needs to be well enough or have enough chips with the staff to stick to the 53. When he's well he's a better player than Free. He's the only player on the team who I'd want subbing at LT assuming he's well. If you didn't see the guy play in 2012 then you don't know how good he can be is all I can say. He better find some magic health dust or something though.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear this a lot but just don't buy it.
Parnell is not a starting caliber guy but he has proven he can chomp down and play in NFL games without hurting you.
He makes 1.8m which is hardly some fortune. He makes less than our top interior back up, Bern.
He did get beaten badly last night a couple times but Tyron was flat out smoked and tackled a guy as well and he is arguably the best OL in football.

I could see us shift Martin outside to RT next year and let Free walk but to me Parnell is fairly safe until a draft pick beats him out.
If next year they add a r3-r5 OT he'd have to seriously worry. ---I don't think they'd add a r1 or r2 OL regardless of value given the insane needs elsewhere.

Parnell was much better than Wetzel last week despite people reporting otherwise. I've haven't reviewed this game in depth, but I saw Wetzel have some problems.

Parnell did look like he was having some issues bending due to the knee, but he sucked it up and played instead of taking the easy path and sitting out like Claiborne did last week with knee tendonitis.

Zordon

Reaction score
Linebackers are looking very thin for the future. It's becoming more and more evident to me that that they will spend 2 picks or a pick and signing on linebackers next year. Holloman
On the anti Jerry stuff...get a room.

Hey, anyone else a touch interested in seeing Okoye this coming week?
All rooms are booked. :D

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm about ready to see Wetzel replace Parnell. Parnell has had plenty of time to be much further along than he is but just isn't responding to the opportunities afforded him. Wetzel has already done enough good things to warrant a spot, imho.

I think Murray is being a bit cautious not to be numbered among the injured now, especially vs. defensive teams like the Ravens.

I'll bet Rolando McClain will claim his rightful place in the middle -- it's just a matter of time. His talent is simply too good to ignore.

Dustin Vaughn should rightfully be retained as QB #3 on the roster. Relegating him to the PS would be a criminally bad decision.

DTs Coleman, Bishop and Minter should be utilized more in preseason. All three are showing evidence of much-needed potential.

Any DEs that are regarded to have keeper potential when cuts are made should be invited to workouts and painstakingly tested.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good thread with some nice contributions. I'm hesitant to evaluate injured players. I'm still a Parnell fan until I see him playing poorly and he's not injured. I know the staff still likes him and Weems. I don't really have an opinion on Weems and last nite I can't moderate and really watch a game critically so I didn't notice Wetzel except he's big.

Having said that about Parnell I agree with Winicki he's on thin ice. You have to produce at some point or you're just not helping. He'll make it to the final cut but he needs to be well enough or have enough chips with the staff to stick to the 53. When he's well he's a better player than Free. He's the only player on the team who I'd want at LT assuming he's well. If you didn't see the guy play in 2012 then you don't know how good he can be is all I can say. He better find some magic health dust or something though.

Hopefully all non-starters are on thin-ice.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Linebackers are looking very thin for the future. It's becoming more and more evident to me that that they will spend 2 picks or a pick and signing on linebackers next year. Holloman

All rooms are booked. :D

Figures...wait, I'll erect a tent.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'm about ready to see Wetzel replace Parnell. Parnell has had plenty of time to be much further along than he is but just isn't responding to the opportunities afforded him. Wetzel has already done enough good things to warrant a spot, imho.

I think Murray is being a bit cautious not to be numbered among the injured now, especially vs. defensive teams like the Ravens.

I'll bet Rolando McClain will claim his rightful place in the middle -- it's just a matter of time. His talent is simply too good to ignore.

Dustin Vaughn should rightfully be retained as QB #3 on the roster. Relegating him to the PS would be a criminally bad decision.

DTs Coleman, Bishop and Minter should be utilized more in preseason. All three are showing evidence of much-needed potential.

Any DEs that are regarded to have keeper potential when cuts are made should be invited to workouts and painstakingly tested.

Not sure where this Vaughn nonsense comes from.
Right now he is QB4 on our depth chart.
I think he is clearly our third best guy and warrants develop but keeping him on the roster is pointless.
He is years away from being even an NFL back up.
He is the epitome of PS guy.

We've rued about 10 different developmental QBs. Maybe 2 of those 10 actually won NFL games but not a single one has been worth rueing.

CCBoy

Reaction score

I've had a deep respect for Vaughan, since he left Callalen High School here in Corpus Christi, to play at West Texas A&M. He led them as a freshman to the Div II playoffs.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Parnell was much better than Wetzel last week despite people reporting otherwise. I've haven't reviewed this game in depth, but I saw Wetzel have some problems.

Parnell did look like he was having some issues bending due to the knee, but he sucked it up and played instead of taking the easy path and sitting out like Claiborne did last week with knee tendonitis.

I'm wondering how many plays an offensive lineman got blown back on a run or pass play?

Bluestang

Reaction score
If the objective of the roster is to get younger and better, then Parnell should be on the outside looking in. He's 28, and hasn't developed into starter material.

He could give you decent snaps a game or two but that's all you want out of him at this juncture. He's not going to unseat Doug Free, that ship has sailed.

Camp reports indicated that neither Parnell or Weems were looking good, and this is before they both got injured.

Because we lack depth, and only have Parnell as the designated swing tackle, we might be forced to keep him unless one of the younger OTs can show something worth developing.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Yeah Wetzel is my 3rd tackle at this point which is a bit scary. I hope someone falls to us at the cuts because I can't find anything Parnell does well anymore and I never liked Weems, which kind of works out because he never does anything to make me change my mind.

When you rewatch the tape it would be awesome to hear your opinions on Wetzel.

Martin is our 3rd tackle.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
various from thread....

For this DL to work the team has to find a workable rotation where 8 guys play and they keep the right mix in at given times.
Seattle excelled there with the right DL in at the right times and everyone staying fresh.
Easier to talk about that than actually do it..

If the team could ever get healthy, we could finally see that plan on the field. In a perfect world, which I agree will probably never happen, you would have Lawrence-Crawford-McClain-Selvie-Mincey-Melton-Spencer-Coleman. Not a great group obviously but having those guys rotating in and out could garner some solid production. It's a shame because we'll probably never have the key guys healthy at the same time.

Zordon

Reaction score
I need to rewatch the game but it seemed like Bernie and Leary had tough games. Interior of the line didn't play very well when run blocking.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Parnell was playing through a knee injury. I heard a report that his knee is probably worse than the knee issue that kept Claiborne out of the previous game. He probably should have taken the easy way out and just sat out this game. He looked much better last week.

Then they should be sitting his butt down.

CCBoy

Reaction score
If the objective of the roster is to get younger and better, then Parnell should be on the outside looking in. He's 28, and hasn't developed into starter material.

He could give you decent snaps a game or two but that's all you want out of him at this juncture. He's not going to unseat Doug Free, that ship has sailed.

Camp reports indicated that neither Parnell or Weems were looking good, and this is before they both got injured.

Because we lack depth, and only have Parnell as the designated swing tackle, we might be forced to keep him unless one of the younger OTs can show something worth developing.

What you say isn't off mark...but when applied, one just doesn't bet the biggest strength of the team into another injury marred lack of achievement season. Not with a guiltless conscience at least.

If the backup isn't quite all world, he's still young enough to fit the part on game day. That alone is an important piece in not gambling the farm. That is long termed as well. If worried about age, then cast off Doug Lee as well. Yep, highly unlikely also.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

We are starting about the youngest OL in football.
We don't need to be younger or better.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Parnell is a special case, it isn't accurate to compare him to 28 year olds that played in a major college program. He played basketball in college and took a few reps at DE his senior year of college - and it was the first time he had played football since the 8th grade.

Then he spent two years on practice squads literally learning the rules of the game and doing weight work to look like an NFL lineman instead of a power forward. 2012 was the equivalent of his rookie year and he started two games at LT when Tyron was injured. He graded out OK in those two games, which is saying something.

In the big picture this is the third year of the Landry Three Year Assessment rule. He may very well get cut, but he isn't a journeyman with no upside. He is a project that is playing through injuries at the moment.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Parnell is the swing tackle. They aren't going to put a rookie udfa at that spot and Wetzel is only a RT/G prospect anyway. Weems was the only guy that was going to press Parnell for the job and he's been MIA because of injury.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then they should be sitting his butt down.

Parnell is projected to be a backup which will give him time to recover from a strain; whereas, Claiborne is projected to be a starter that will play 100% of the defensive snaps when the season starts.