FWST Blog: Holy Earthquake

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Holy Earthquake

I have been coming to California since 2001 covering various sporting events, and a few minutes ago I felt my first real earthquake. Nothing too major, but for a converted Texan it felt fairly dramatic.

The whole building shook for about 10 seconds, just a shift back and forth.
My hope is that this is not a precusor to something real dramatic.

- Mac Engel

Posted at 01:48 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2164844 said:
Where does that rank on the richter (sp?) scale?

Sounds pretty mild...

no quake expert but a 5.8 i think gets your attention but maybe not much more than that.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Ticket said an emailer claimed that it's the biggest he's experienced since he moved to L.A. in 2000. The previous biggest one was 4. something. So it's their biggest in a while.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
EARTHQUAKE!!!

1:44 PM Tue, Jul 29, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

We just experienced an earthquake at the Residence Inn that's the Cowboys' headquarters. It was reportedly 5.6 5.8 on the Richter scale -- felt from LA to San Diego -- but we were apparently on the fringe of it.

That was a first for me. It's no big deal around these parts, though.

All the sudden, I had a sensation of the ground swaying a little bit. I looked to my left to see if Todd Archer felt the same thing, and his eyes were about the size of dinner plates. The trees and light poles rocked back and forth a bit, and then it was over.

No worries, folks. We're all safe. Oh, and so are all the Cowboys.

UPDATE: Here's the CNN report.

Comments (13) Leave comment | E-mail entry

PosterChild

Reaction score
Parcells parachuted in and wants to reclaim his job. One more Super Bowl, baby.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
I'm about 30 miles from where the quake happened. Sitting on the fourth floor in a meeting. Rocked us back and forth pretty good for 20-30 seconds. Definitely got the adrenaline going, but nothing severe. By far the biggest/longest quake I've felt since I moved here in 98.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Welcome to California, Cowboys: Earthquake!

Posted by jellis at 7/29/2008 1:47 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

Well, it wasn't a big one, but we just had a tremor out here in Oxnard, the first earthquake for most of us Texans. CNN.com is reporting it as a 5.8 magnitude quake in Los Angeles, about an hour south of here.

If you've never been through an earthquake, and I don't know if I qualify because we probably just got an aftershock or some ripples, the ground really does kind of shake. My chair and our tent were moving side to side. It was like being in a rocking boat.

I really doubt any Cowboys players were injured but we'll try to get some comment from them on it after practice. That's probably a first for most of them, too.

Pretty weird. I hope no one was hurt in Chino Hills, the reported epicenter.

-Josh Ellis

Comments (2) | Permanent Link

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
What earthquake? That was just the headboard banging into the wall in BIGG's hotel room.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
5.8's nothing to sneeze at on the richter scale. IIRC around 6.0-6.5 is where things start falling off walls. But the epicenter was just under 100 miles from Oxnard, so it was more violent the further you go inland from there.

We never had one that big while I was there, but there was a smaller, closer one during one of my first law school exams. That will mess up your train of thought.

Boysboy

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2164838 said:
Holy Earthquake

I have been coming to California since 2001 covering various sporting events, and a few minutes ago I felt my first real earthquake. Nothing too major, but for a converted Texan it felt fairly dramatic.

The whole building shook for about 10 seconds, just a shift back and forth.
My hope is that this is not a precusor to something real dramatic.

- Mac Engel

Posted at 01:48 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

This has always been my biggest concern about our Cowboys having their TC in this area...both L.A. and SF have been OVERDUE for "the big one" for a LONG time now.

I'm glad it wasn't catastrophic when all was said and done.

groo

Reaction score
5.8 is a medium size earthquake. This one was centered in Chino Hills, CA which is 91.9 miles from Oxnard. I'm working from home today and only about 20 miles from the epicenter and I felt it pretty good. The whole house shook back and forth for about 30 seconds and my tea cup fell off my desk. So far looks like things are OK around my neighborhood. But I got to start planning for emergencies like this. I've been in high rises during an earthquake and that is really scary when a high rise sways back and forth like a palm tree in high winds.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Having lived in LA and experienced many including the Northridge quake, 5.8 is enough to put the scare in you