FWST Blog: Holy Earthquake

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
groo;2164944 said:
5.8 is a medium size earthquake. This one was centered in Chino Hills, CA which is 91.9 miles from Oxnard. I'm working from home today and only about 20 miles from the epicenter and I felt it pretty good. The whole house shook back and forth for about 30 seconds and my tea cup fell off my desk. So far looks like things are OK around my neighborhood. But I got to start planning for emergencies like this. I've been in high rises during an earthquake and that is really scary when a high rise sways back and forth like a palm tree in high winds.

i'd definately soil myself if that were me in a highrise.

tunahelper

Reaction score
God was watching his team practice and was clapping loudly at the Boy's talent base!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
FYI
Code:
Earthquake Severity 
Richter         Earthquake
Magnitudes      Effects

Less than 3.5   Generally not felt, but recorded.

3.5-5.4         Often felt, but rarely causes damage.

Under 6.0       At most slight damage to well-designed buildings.
		Can cause major damage to poorly constructed buildings
		over small regions.

6.1-6.9         Can be destructive in areas up to about 100 kilometers
		across where people live.

7.0-7.9         Major earthquake. Can cause serious damage over larger areas.

8 or greater    Great earthquake. Can cause serious damage in areas several
		hundred kilometers across.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Several months back there was a 5.3 earthquake somewhere around the Utah/Nevada border. I live in Roy, Utah, many miles away and at 7:53 in the morning (if I remember right) my bed started swaying like I was laying on a water bed. This went on for about 15 or 20 seconds! Freaky!

Also, Weber State University is in this area and it has a great big clock tower on campus that started swaying like a tree in the wind...

:eek:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
COWBOYS CAUGHT IN EARTHQUAKE
Posted by Mike Florio on July 29, 2008, 3:50 p.m.

When a team moves its training camp from Texas to California, the team accepts all the things, good and bad, that go with being in California.

In the case of the Dallas Cowboys, the bad includes an earthquake, which struck on Tuesday.

It was a 5.8 on the Richter scale, and the Cowboys were on the fringes of the shaking at their camp in Oxnard.

Writes Tim McMahon of the Dallas Morning News: “All the sudden, I had a sensation of the ground swaying a little bit. I looked to my left to see if Todd Archer felt the same thing, and his eyes were about the size of dinner plates. The trees and light poles rocked back and forth a bit, and then it was over.”

[Editor’s note: I was living in Oakland in 1986, and was rudely awakened by a 5.6. The experience was a key factor in my decision not to live in California after finishing college. And to the Bay Area native who insisted way back when that “when it’s your time, it’s your time,” I’ll reiterate what I said in response. “If you choose not to live where the earthquake is, then it’s not your time.”]

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Hostile;2164917 said:
What earthquake? That was just the headboard banging into the wall in BIGG's hotel room.

Oh. That poor woman............

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
California. :rolleyes:

It burns up in the summer and slides into the ocean in the winter and then to add to the excitement they get a little shake, rattle and roll.

If it wasn't for the nice weather, it would have nothing going for it. :D

FCBarca

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;2165059 said:
California. :rolleyes:

It burns up in the summer and slides into the ocean in the winter and then to add to the excitement they get a little shake, rattle and roll.

If it wasn't for the nice weather, it would have nothing going for it. :D

Especially the Bay Area, eh?...No mountains, no vineyards, no Yosemite, Sequoias, Point Reyes, Ocean Coast, etc...Yeah, nothing :rolleyes:

jcollins28

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2164844 said:
Where does that rank on the richter (sp?) scale?

Sounds pretty mild...

Try living just a few miles from the Epicenter. Our minor league baseball team is called 'The Quakes". I'm pretty bummed though as i lost some valuable pictures from the quake today.

Tovya

Reaction score
PosterChild;2164860 said:
Parcells parachuted in and wants to reclaim his job. One more Super Bowl, baby.

LOL, h now that is just too funny. More likely is parachuting in to kidnap a few players to take back to Miami!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
You know? I was wondering if my man Julias Jones fell down up in Seattle when this earthquake happened?!!!

:eek:

:)

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
FCBarca;2165078 said:
Especially the Bay Area, eh?...No mountains, no vineyards, no Yosemite, Sequoias, Point Reyes, Ocean Coast, etc...Yeah, nothing :rolleyes:

Sarcasm isn't your strong suit is it? :bang2:

jcollins28

Reaction score
FCBarca;2165078 said:

Yeah especially the Bay Area. They should cut the state in half just north of Bakersfield. In fact you can even have Bakersfield if you leave quietly.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2164838 said:
Holy Earthquake

I have been coming to California since 2001 covering various sporting events, and a few minutes ago I felt my first real earthquake. Nothing too major, but for a converted Texan it felt fairly dramatic.

The whole building shook for about 10 seconds, just a shift back and forth.
My hope is that this is not a precusor to something real dramatic.

- Mac Engel

Posted at 01:48 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

he needs to stop being a panty waist, a little earthquake is good for the soul, makes you realize how insignificant you are next to the power of the force

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jcollins28;2165116 said:
Try living just a few miles from the Epicenter. Our minor league baseball team is called 'The Quakes". I'm pretty bummed though as i lost some valuable pictures from the quake today.
Hey, didn't mean to make it sound insignificant. I honestly didn't how that ranked on the richter scale. Thanks to everyone posting, I do now.

Any quake period would make me do a Willie Blade.

It might flood in Houston, but we at least we can see the water rising.

Sorry you sustained the damage you did.

jcollins28

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2165267 said:
Hey, didn't mean to make it sound insignificant. I honestly didn't how that ranked on the richter scale. Thanks to everyone posting, I do now.

Any quake period would make me do a Willie Blade.

It might flood in Houston, but we at least we can see the water rising.

Sorry you sustained the damage you did.

No worries you did not make it sound that way at all. I was thinking of throwing in a "wink" smiilie in my post as it was meant to be more tongue in cheek then anything else.

Angus

Reaction score
Earthquake reaction

Several of the Cowboys had interesting and very mixed reactions to the this morning's earthquake. Some were scared, some were light-headed and some never felt a thing. I never felt a thing while only a few miles east away from the Oxnard Residence Inn working out at a local gym. Me and a few other members of the Cowboys media were there and never felt it.
Star-Telegram writer Clarence Hill said he felt it. Felt like the building was shaking and he got a little dizzy.
I have never felt an earthquake as a native Texan and neither had Pampa native Zach Thomas. The locals pretty much blew it off as a "roller." But more toward the epicenter, reports are this was a major earthquake. NoW they are talking about preparing for the "big one."
- Rick Herrin