FWST Blog: More of Choice Coming

2much2soon

Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2433838 said:
Because we want him to be healthy for those big games down the road. I would have no problem letting Barber carry the load all season long if I thought he could stay healthy. I have never thought Barber could and I don't want to see him get hurt and then be stuck with only Choice.

The only reason I thought Barber might not be able to stay healthy was his style or trying to punishing tacklers every, single time he touched the ball.
If you watch him this year he has heeded the warnings of other great RBs, and informed observers, who told him in the offseason to back off some.
He certainly isn't going to back down when it counts, but notice that he runs out of bounds when he knows fighting won't get him anymore yards. He also occasionally ducks under tackles when necessary instead of going headlong into tacklers every time.
Prior to this year he would of shoved his hand in somebody's face and punished them even when it didn't matter to the overall yardage on the play.
I have been impressed that he took into account the big picture of what he means to the team and what it means to his career to not try to fight to the death on every play when it doesn't matter.
Anybody else notice this?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
2much2soon;2433890 said:
The only reason I thought Barber might not be able to stay healthy was his style or trying to punishing tacklers every, single time he touched the ball.
If you watch him this year he has heeded the warnings of other great RBs, and informed observers, who told him in the offseason to back off some.
He certainly isn't going to back down when it counts, but notice that he runs out of bounds when he knows fighting won't get him anymore yards. He also occasionally ducks under tackles when necessary instead of going headlong into tacklers every time.
Prior to this year he would of shoved his hand in somebody's face and punished them even when it didn't matter to the overall yardage on the play.
I have been impressed that he took into account the big picture of what he means to the team and what it means to his career to not try to fight to the death on every play when it doesn't matter.

I agree, he still runs hard but has stepped out of bounds at times instead of hammering out a couple extra yards. No doubt he is a smart runner, he knows how to pick up the 1st downs and was smart enough in the skins game to know when to fall to the ground inbounds to keep the clock running

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
I don't buy the whole, "he's not a good a blitz pick up" BS. I remember him having some sick pick ups in the PS. You can tell the way he plays special teams, that he isn't afraid of contact and is willing to stick his head in and block.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I like the kid and think he can do well if given the opportunity. He might not have the speed of Felix but I think he can make plays and spell Barber. Just my 2 cents.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Achozen;2433900 said:
I don't buy the whole, "he's not a good a blitz pick up" BS. I remember him having some sick pick ups in the PS. You can tell the way he plays special teams, that he isn't afraid of contact and is willing to stick his head in and block.

It would not be an issue of being afraid of contact it could be an issue of knowing who to pick up in a blitz. Having said that I don't if that is an issue or not but I do expect Barber is going to continue to be the man and if Choice comes in for a play or 2 then great. Given the situation Dallas is in we need to win games and Garrett will ride the horses that he knows can do the job.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Dallas;2433746 said:
I understand that he is a rookie and all, but not playing Choice is just STUPID. He has shown he can get some yards.

Give the kid 4-5 carries / game. Now we find ourselves in a situation where we have to depend on him to spell Barber. He should have been doing it all along while Felix was out.

I got faith in Choice. I love him in college and I love what he has shown so far.

That's how I feel exactly. Choice just looks so quick when he's in there. He's a prototypical slasher who has good heart, toughness and instincts.

Given a chance, he could do very well, IMO.

2much2soon

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2433892 said:
No doubt he is a smart runner, he knows how to pick up the 1st downs and was smart enough in the skins game to know when to fall to the ground inbounds to keep the clock running

You'd think every pro back would be aware enough to do things like that but they aren't all composed enough to do so.
Barber is smart, talented, and hardworking. If nothing else, that long TD against AZ was proof of how wily the guy is.
I can see him being an asset to a team even late in his career when he has lost some things physically. As his career winds down he will probably make more plays catching passes out of the backfield and blocking in passing situations ala Preston Pearson.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Rampage;2433806 said:
Gareett didn't give Felix 1 carry in the 1st Commanders game. he's not a good OC.

You really shouldn't be complaining if you slam TO when he says he is being used wrong.

sbuscha

king****
Reaction score
Rampage;2433733 said:
Garrett sucks so i'll believe it when I see it.

Some people complain about everything and anything don't they? I bet you praised him last year...

Posted By Rampage
icon1.gif
Romo is sucking. *** this team sucks!

Romo is sucking. *** this team sucks!

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
sbuscha;2433944 said:
Some people complain about everything and anything don't they? I bet you praised him last year...

yea and as we can see last year the success wasn't a direct result of his play calling.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
the Giants have pretty much the same stable of backs, noone is a real gamebreaker

that's a pretty weak excuse for why Choice hasn't seen many carries w/ Felix out

and besides, Choice is a true inside runner, Barber is not, he would rather cut it outside, so it makes perfect sense to increase Choice's workload

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2434017 said:
the Giants have pretty much the same stable of backs, noone is a real gamebreaker

that's a pretty weak excuse why Choice hasn't seen many carries w/ Felix out

and besides, Choice is a true inside runner, Barber is not, he would rather cut it outside, so it makes perfect sense to increase Choice's workload

You don't know. :p:

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2433938 said:
You really shouldn't be complaining if you slam TO when he says he is being used wrong.

so why doesn't Owens tell Garrett or Wade instead of Deion and the media.

sbuscha;2433944 said:
Garret's playcalling was very good last year even though sometimes he got too pass happy. he's been figured out and isn't making the right adjustments. oh and Romo was sucking at that point in the game.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2434036 said:
how do you know he hasn't?
ok so if he has and it doesn't work do you think it helps for him to be a baby and whine to the media about it? and Pacman is a distraction:rolleyes:

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
2much2soon;2433890 said:
I have noticed this as well. I still feel that only having one back do all the work is a bad idea. when the game is on the line you for sure should give the ball to barber. when we are playing two weaker teams i see no reason why choice can not get involved more.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Rampage;2434039 said:
ok so if he has and it doesn't work do you think it helps for him to be a baby and whine to the media about it? and Pacman is a distraction:rolleyes:

I don't think he's being a baby or whining but w.e. different strokes for different folks.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2434068 said:
I don't think he's being a baby or whining but w.e. different strokes for different folks.
well regardless nothing good is gonna come out of him saying what he said in that interview.