FWST Blog: Tit for Tat, Galloway and T.O.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Our main columnist Randy Galloway called me out a bit in an column Thursday where he demanded an apology from Terrell Owens for calling ESPN reporter Ed Werder a liar.

Galloway inferred that I was the only local reporter standing up for Owens because I said in an online column/mailbag on Wednesday that it was ridiculous to think that Owens was jealous of anyone, namely tight end Jason Witten, as Werder suggested based on his conversations with unnamed sources. The column is here.

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/1097985.html

Now maybe we are playing the semantics game. But I think in the column I supported reasons why Owens might be bothered by the idea that Witten is the team's leading receiver. But jealous has a different connotation. You can have a problem with someone and I suppose be bothered by their success. But that doesn't mean you are jealous.

He also suggested that because I didn't attack Werder's information that I totally agreed with it. Well, if truth be told no other writer on the beat wrote articles supporting Werder's information either. Usually, when a story breaks, news organizations will try to get sources to get their own story on the issue. Now we were the first one's to report that Owens and receivers Patrick Crayton and Roy Williams had meetings with offensive coordinator Jason Garrett about their belief that quarterback Tony Romo was throwing too much to Witten and not looking for the open receiver.

But no one from the Star-Telegram or the DMN followed Werder's "jealous" and "team divided" angle. The only story we followed was the controversy the initial story caused and the team angle that it was overblown. So should we draw any conclusion from that?

Of course, Galloway is an avid reader and watcher of television and internet news reports. And I'm sure that he read that one of the players' supposedly fingered as a source for Werder's story was none other than Witten himself. That was the foundation of the verbal altercation the two engaged in last Friday. Heated words were exchanged.

And if true it puts a different spin on the Werder story.

Again the point of my online column was not to be a supporter of Owens but to say that there more was at work here than him reverting to his selfish and divisive ways of his past in Philadelphia and San Francisco. It also was not meant to shoot down Werder's story. I respect Werder and the work he does.

But more than one coach and player told me Owens got a bad rap last week. And I would suggest Galloway talk to Bradie James before assuming that he is comfortable with how he was portrayed.

Even Werder reported that Owens has support from the majority of players on defense. And if you add the receivers, and running back Marion Barber, Owen's neighbor and the disc jockey during the source call out session last week, then it's safe to assume that the majority of the players support Owens.

That doesn't mean Owens is infallible or that he's handled everything right. It doesn't mean that his attitude and outbursts don't cause problems. And yes, he still drops too many passes.

But it also doesn't mean that the players are against Witten.

Again as I wrote in my on online column/mailbag, he did nothing last week to cause a problem for the team or put the season in jeapordy.

Personally, I like Witten and Romo. They weren't given anything _ Witten was a fourth round pick and Romo was a free agent _ and they made themselves into great players.

But nobody is perfect and they too make mistakes.

Could one of them have made a mistake last week?

Bottom line is that it's a bunch of "he said, he said" mess that was overblown in the first place. Everybody doesn't have to get along to win. That has been proven time and time again.

And despite the heavy play that it got from ESPN, the Cowboys are indeed winning and playing their best football of the season.

They have won four of their five last games and if they make the playoffs the Cowboys would go in as one of the league's hottest teams. And if they don't make the playoffs, you can look to the unforgiveable losses to the Rams and Cardinals and/or the self destruction in Pittsburgh when Romo tossed the game deciding interception on a pass intended for Witten as reasons why they didn't get in _ certainly more so than anything Owens did or said to divide the team.

I'm sure that is something even Galloway can agree with.

Clarence E. Hill Jr.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2505624 said:
He also suggested that because I didn't attack Werder's information that I totally agreed with it. Well, if truth be told no other writer on the beat wrote articles supporting Werder's information either. Usually, when a story breaks, news organizations will try to get sources to get their own story on the issue. Now we were the first one's to report that Owens and receivers Patrick Crayton and Roy Williams had meetings with offensive coordinator Jason Garrett about their belief that quarterback Tony Romo was throwing too much to Witten and not looking for the open receiver.

But no one from the Star-Telegram or the DMN followed Werder's "jealous" and "team divided" angle. The only story we followed was the controversy the initial story caused and the team angle that it was overblown. So should we draw any conclusion from that?
Oh Clarence, the gadflies have already assured us that every reporter including you guys has verified some portion of Werder's reports. Now you are denying them altogether and outright.

Sounds oddly familiar.

I do have to jab you though Clarence. Witten was a 3rd round pick. Bradie James was the 4th rounder.

Boysboy

Reaction score
At the same time, is there anyone else who wouldn't mind if we lose to Balt, lose out, and don't make the playoffs?

BS or no, this whole high drama that has been playing out since we lost to the Giants in the playoffs is really starting to wear not only on the team, but on the fans as well.

Maybe it's best if we can go back to the drawing board by New Year's.:eek::

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Boysboy;2505636 said:
At the same time, is there anyone else who wouldn't mind if we lose to Balt, lose out, and don't make the playoffs?

BS or no, this whole high drama that has been playing out since we lost to the Giants in the playoffs is really starting to wear not only on the team, but on the fans as well.

Yes, Cowboys fans.

gmsquid

Reaction score
Boysboy;2505636 said:

Looks like we have a spy on cowboyszone.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
Boysboy;2505636 said:

would you take this crap and leave with it ??

1fisher

Reaction score
Boysboy;2505636 said:

boysboy = regurgitation (or however you spell it)

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Boysboy;2505636 said:

Wanting to lose was stupid last week and is still stupid this week...

Detroit is probably ready to start over, go over there and knock yourself out.

bootyhunta

Reaction score
Sounds like there's some dissention at the Fort-Worthless Star Telegram.

How will they ever be able to put it behind them and get the daily sports articles written?

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Clarence E. Hill Jr. is the only OBJECTIVE beat writer left in the local Cowboys media. The rest of the FWST is becoming a tabloid-esque magazine, and they would best served to follow Clarence E. Hill Jr.'s lead, and make quacks like Randy Galloway an afterthought. If you read Galloway's collumn you would agree that it was "negligent" journalism as its finest; it was as baseless as, and therefore as negligent as, ESPN's Ed Werder's story was. And the DMN are already gone from the picture there; they have become a tablod. The best they can do is Jacques Taylor, and he is as uncredible and irrelevant as they come in sports reporting. The DMN's last hope is to fire and replace everybody. That's almost true for the FWST, who at least have a glimmer of hope in restoring their credibility, so long as as they follw Clarence E. Hill Jr.'s lead. From now on, Clarence E. Hill Jr. is the only reporter in the Dallas local media I will read when it comes to Dallas Cowboys news because he is the only left holding my resect in him and his own self-credibility.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Boysboy;2505636 said:

Didn't you say something similar before the Giants game? You want us to lose and rebuild so we will suck for a few years?

Are you even a fan?

There hasn't been any 'high' drama since we lost to the Giants. Unless you call TO defending his quarterback, high drama.

or... i know this is a crazy idea but stay with me.................. it will be best if we win the Super Bowl.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
What was the initial infraction that got TO on everybody's hit list? Was it throwing Garcia under the bus in San Fran? Will it ever stop? My guess is that it will take a Super Bowl victory to quiet the haters but even then it will only be for a moment...

CoCo

Reaction score
I don't know the realities of what happened last week anymore than anyone else.

But I will say that this story from Clarence Hill is about he only one I've read that didn't reek of agenda or hype but rather thoughtful consideration.

I can't tell you how much I love that. :bow:

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even Werder reported that Owens has support from the majority of players on defense. And if you add the receivers, and running back Marion Barber, Owen's neighbor and the disc jockey during the source call out session last week, then it's safe to assume that the majority of the players support Owens.

What does the part in bold mean? Was Barber the one playing "Backstabbers" by the O'Jays when Gurode and Roy11 confronted Witten?

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2505624 said:
Personally, I like Witten and Romo. They weren't given anything _ Witten was a fourth round pick and Romo was a free agent _ and they made themselves into great players.

Clarence E. Hill Jr.

Witten was a third round pick....I can't stand it when journalists don't get their facts 100% right before writing something that goes out to the public, no matter how asinine that might seem.