FWST Blog: Wednesday locker room report... Spencer ready to go

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wednesday locker room report

Here's some tidbits from the locker room on Wednesday...

* Left guard Kyle Kosier is wearing a protective walking boot on his reinjured right foot. He is out 2-3 weeks again after he felt something pop in the foot late in the Green Bay game. Cory Procter returns to the starting role.

* Fullback Deon Anderson thinks he could play this week, but he will not be cleared to play until next week against Cincinnati. Anderson, who had minor knee surgery, gets the staples out of his knee today. He was very impressed with tight end Tony Curtis replacing him at fullback against Green Bay. Said he saw a few heads pop back on Curtis blocks.

* Rookie RB Felix Jones said his bruised right calf is feeling fine and won't keep him out of practice.

* Guard Montrae Holland, who the Cowboys acquired in a trade after Kosier was injured in the preseason, was active for the first time last week but did not play. He had his head buried in the playbook during the open locker room session. When Holland arrived he said he wouldn't be ready until he knew the playbook.

* QB Tony Romo was sporting a white Starter baseball cap (backwards, of course) during his interviews at his locker today. Romo recently signed a fat contract with Starter and will surely have Cowboys fan rushing out to find his gear.

- Rick Herrin

Posted at 12:50 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Spencer ready to go

Cowboys outside linebacker Anthony Spencer says he will return to full participation in practice on Wednesday. Spencer has missed two of the first three games with an injured knee and missed the Green Bay game. The knee was sore last week as he was bothered by the scar tissue breaking up from his Aug. 20 knee surgery.

The Cowboys are anxious to get Spencer back on the field and get the disruptive player they saw in training camp.

- Rick Herrin

Posted at 12:35 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2283641 said:
Spencer ready to go

Cowboys outside linebacker Anthony Spencer says he will return to full participation in practice on Wednesday. Spencer has missed two of the first three games with an injured knee and missed the Green Bay game. The knee was sore last week as he was bothered by the scar tissue breaking up from his Aug. 20 knee surgery.

The Cowboys are anxious to get Spencer back on the field and get the disruptive player they saw in training camp.

- Rick Herrin

Posted at 12:35 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)
Best news I've read all day.

Duane

Reaction score
Spencer back is the best news I've heard this week.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
To me, Spencer is a bum until he starts making an impact during the games. :mad:

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
We sae the articles throughout camp talk up Austin and he's come through and impressed. Spencer was raved about as well. Hopefully his impact is felt just as quickly. His rotation at OLB could really ramp up the rush against a mobile QB like Campbell.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Great news on spencer.

I just want to add I was just in the kroger grocery store near my house and they have t-shirts with romo's face on them that say Tony Romo for president!!

pretty funny.

Duane

Reaction score
theebs;2283692 said:
Great news on spencer.

I just want to add I was just in the kroger grocery store near my house and they have t-shirts with romo's face on them that say Tony Romo for president!!

pretty funny.

Is he running as a Romocrat, Romoblican or Romotarian? :D

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
Hope Spencer is 100%, hate to see him rushed back in. Sounds like promising news though. Maybe he and Ware can make a Cambell soup sandwich on Sunday.

khiladi

Reaction score
Finally... Spencer, to play a lot more, right next to Ratliff and Ware...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboy from New York;2283676 said:
We sae the articles throughout camp talk up Austin and he's come through and impressed. Spencer was raved about as well. Hopefully his impact is felt just as quickly. His rotation at OLB could really ramp up the rush against a mobile QB like Campbell.
What..?

What was that sound..?

I think...

I think I just heard Jason Campbell poop a little on himself...

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Glad to hear Spencer is ready to go again. Hopefully he gets going good and strong pretty quickly.

khiladi

Reaction score
Just to hype him up again:

Strengths:
Anthony Spencer was one of the most dominating players in college football for the 2006 season, with 26.5 tackles for a loss and 10.5 sacks. Spencer has good raw speed and a quick burst off the snap allowing him to get into the backfield. He utilizes a wide variety of pass rushing moves effectively. He is at his best when he is allowed to put his head down and rush the passer. He has the ability to chase down plays from behind and make solid tackles.
Weaknesses:
Spencer could stand to add a little more bulk. He relies on his speed too much at times, due to a lack of lower body strength to get off blocks. His aggressiveness in getting to the ball can lead to him being taken out of the play at times. If he is going to be a full time 4-3 DE, he needs to add strength, but his lack of size is going to be a deterrent.
Overall:
Much like former Purdue DE Shaun Phillips, Spencer is an exceptional play maker. If he is used in the correct scheme, he should be a very productive player. Spencer has the speed and open field ability to play OLB in the 3-4 scheme, which should negate his size problem. Many of the top offensive tackles claim that Spencer was the toughest player they faced all year. He dominated first day pick Ryan Harris of Notre Dame, notching 15 tackles in that game.

He has been one of the guys I'm dying to see get more reps on the field.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Jerry said on his show yesterday that Spencer was "unblockable" during the first two weeks of camp.

Jerry obviously exaggerates, but his claim is backed up by early training camp reports and even Hard Knocks. They were about to make Spencer possibly taking Ellis' job into a major storyline before AS got hurt.

khiladi

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2283755 said:
Jerry said on his show yesterday that Spencer was "unblockable" during the first two weeks of camp.

Jerry obviously exaggerates, but his claim is backed up by early training camp reports and even Hard Knocks. They were about to make Spencer possibly taking Ellis' job into a major storyline before AS got hurt.

My prediction is that the Dallas defense is going to play on a different level with Spencer. I wanted him on the field more last year.

Tobal

Reaction score
now we can rotate and get Ware and Ellis some breaks they were both gassed last two games.

Then a few snaps a game get them all three on the field.