FWST Blog: Williams and Romo still work in progress

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
June 10, 2009
Williams and Romo still work in progress

Receiver Roy Williams drew raves from Cowboys coach Wade Phillips for a one handed catch in practice Tuesday.

But it was one of the few highlights from Williams and the offense on what was an overall sloppy day.

Although he and Romo have been working since February to get on the same page and create some chemistry, it is clearly still a work in progress.

He doesn't get as many passes as he would like from Romo in practice and then there is still the occassional miscommunication, like on Tuesday when he ran a post and Romo threw to the corner.

"It's practice, if you get a ball you get a ball, if you dont get a ball you dont get a ball," Williams said. "You are still working on technique. As long as you open they see on film, maybe you will get one next time."

Clarence E. Hill Jr.

Posted at 09:22 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
How hard is it to say you are running a post and the receiver runs a post? I am betting Romo knows the play.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
So when is it appropriate to panic? All I keep hearing about these OTAs is how Romo and Williams are not in sync at all.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gemini Dolly;2807243 said:
So when is it appropriate to panic? All I keep hearing about these OTAs is how Romo and Williams are not in sync at all.
I don't really think there is a reason to panic. There is reason to be concerned. But to put this in some perspective, the media attends only one session a week. We really don't know what kinda success they're having the rest of the week.

Training camp will tell the tale as to the accuracy of the reports.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2807255 said:
I don't really think there is a reason to panic. There is reason to be concerned. But to put this in some perspective, the media attends only one session a week. We really don't know what kinda success they're having the rest of the week.

We also don't know how long they've been working on the play that was called. Was it just put in? Or what the defense was doing that might have led to one of them misreading the coverage.

So much just depends on what they are working on. To simply look at a play and draw conclusions about the players is overly simplistic and misguided. This is the time of year when a lot of stuff is being added in, developed and tried.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'd say wait for pads to come on and practice to actually start. Then freak out as much as possible through all of training camp and the preseason games. Post a lot about how worried you are. Then when the season starts, sit back and watch what actually happens.

If you're lucky, you get to say 'I told you so.' If you're not, you just say 'my bad' and then freak some more about whatever area of the team isn't performing at a league-leading level at that point. You'll look wise and opinionated, and nobody will remember the part where you wet yourself over something that happened according to Tim MacMahon or Matt Mosely during an OTA in June.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
If you guys remember we hear the same stuff about Romo and Owens not looking in sync for OTA's prior to the 2008 and 2007 seasons.

Just a silly theory of mine......but I believe reporting of this team by some often slants to the negative for the same reason some of your posts do.

And that's because it gives the reporter/poster the feeling that they are being impartial. So many, so badly do not want to sound like a mouthpiece for the team or homer that they just have to sway to the negative. Its as if they believe it actually makes them sound more credible.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score

Its the first offseason they've had together.

I'll be worried if they are still out of sync when the regular season starts rolling around.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
sonnyboy;2807302 said:
If you guys remember we hear the same stuff about Romo and Owens not looking in sync for OTA's prior to the 2008 and 2007 seasons.

Just a silly theory of mine......but I believe reporting of this team by some often slants to the negative for the same reason some of your posts do.

And that's because it gives the reporter/poster the feeling that they are being impartial. So many, so badly do not want to sound like a mouthpiece for the team or homer that they just have to sway to the negative. Its as if they believe it actually makes them sound more credible.

Thats a good call.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Joe Realist;2807235 said:
Roy Williams 2009 - 59 catches 758 yards, 7tds

I'll go out on a limb here:

Roy Williams 2009 Stats:

Games Played - 16
Receptions - 73
Yards - 1085
TD - 9

I just really think that he's gonna play with a chip on his shoulder because EVERYONE is publicly doubting him. throw in the added pressure of playing back in his home state, he has to know that he will get run out of town if he doesn't live up to the expectations. I even think he'll play hurt unless it's a major injury. Just a gut feeling.

CoachHodnett

Play-calling is an Art
Reaction score
dmq;2807228 said:
How hard is it to say you are running a post and the receiver runs a post? I am betting Romo knows the play.

Most likely it was an Option Route, and Roy's route would be based on coverage. In this case, if the coverage was Zone, Roy would probably want to run that Corner Route and get underneath the deep coverage. If the Coverage was Man, Roy would want to Post so he gains inside leverage on the man covering him and can beat him deep. Most likely, Witten or Bennett was running some sort of intermediate route over the middle. In the case that it was Man Coverage, Romo would just have to Read the Safety. In the case of Zone Coverage, Romo would high low whoever is playing in the Flats on Roy's side.

Seems to me it was just a misunderstanding of coverage. But you are probably right that Romo threw the right route.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
seems these guys are just recycling this.

Gee, I wonder what the first story in TC will be....

Can romo and williams get on the same page???? Or will they go 0-16?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
sonnyboy;2807302 said:

Nice.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Its early JUNE guys. Now take it to late July in TC and see the same thing then you can start to panic. Anyone worried right now is out to lunch.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2807255 said:

Training camp will tell the tale as to the accuracy of the reports.

gimmesix;2807260 said:
We also don't know how long they've been working on the play that was called. Was it just put in? Or what the defense was doing that might have led to one of them misreading the coverage.

So much just depends on what they are working on. To simply look at a play and draw conclusions about the players is overly simplistic and misguided. This is the time of year when a lot of stuff is being added in, developed and tried.

:hammer:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Idgit;2807271 said:
I'd say wait for pads to come on and practice to actually start. Then freak out as much as possible through all of training camp and the preseason games. Post a lot about how worried you are. Then when the season starts, sit back and watch what actually happens.

If you're lucky, you get to say 'I told you so.' If you're not, you just say 'my bad' and then freak some more about whatever area of the team isn't performing at a league-leading level at that point. You'll look wise and opinionated, and nobody will remember the part where you wet yourself over something that happened according to Tim MacMahon or Matt Mosely during an OTA in June.

That sums up so much.

JFlgn

Reaction score
It seems like everyone forgets that the defense is always ahead of the offense at this point in the season.

I'm sure that Roy and Romo are off, but I doubt Romo is any more off with Roy than he is with the rest of the receivers/tight ends.

It always takes time for the offense to catch up to the defense.