FWST Blog: Williams and Romo still work in progress

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2807255 said:
I don't really think there is a reason to panic. There is reason to be concerned. But to put this in some perspective, the media attends only one session a week. We really don't know what kinda success they're having the rest of the week.

Training camp will tell the tale as to the accuracy of the reports.

Yeah, and they keep reporting on that same exact play. Also the article says Roy doesn't get as many passes as he would like and then his quote is him saying whether he gets the ball or not isn't the focus, that technique is important. What the hell is that?

How do you write that he's saying something completely different from his actual quote?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Gemini Dolly;2807243 said:
So when is it appropriate to panic? All I keep hearing about these OTAs is how Romo and Williams are not in sync at all.

After you, yourself, have actually seen them on the field together this year for more than 4 minutes.

Seriously.

These reports about a bad play, or an off day, one practice in June and a reporter attempting to turn that into "Oh they're just not getting on the same page yet" are stupid to say the least.

It's trash journalism at it's finest.

I don't care about what they messed up on this one play a writer saw on Tuesday. Let me know how they do for the entire practice, every single day, of the entire offseason and then that's how I can know if they're getting it or not.

On play, one practice, doesn't tell me a thing and gives me no reason to give the writer any credibility, at all, as to what is and isn't working.

cowcoach

Reaction score
I was at that OTA and can give some insight. One, the defense was blitzing on every play. On the mis-route, Tony had about 3 defensive players all around him and it looked like he just threw it away in disgust. The defense does not sack or even touch the QBs, so they just ran by him and he stepped up and threw it away is what it looked like. The problem was that the safety was there to int. the pass.
Second, on one play when the defense was blitzing, Tony threw a strike to Roy on a slant that would have been a hugh gain. So they were on the same page there.
Lastly, the rookie recievers looked bad. Both Ogletree and Johnson dropped tons of passes. It was a tough day to throw when the defense is blitzing and your recievers are so raw.:star:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
cowcoach;2807716 said:
I was at that OTA and can give some insight. One, the defense was blitzing on every play. On the mis-route, Tony had about 3 defensive players all around him and it looked like he just threw it away in disgust. The defense does not sack or even touch the QBs, so they just ran by him and he stepped up and threw it away is what it looked like. The problem was that the safety was there to int. the pass.
Second, on one play when the defense was blitzing, Tony threw a strike to Roy on a slant that would have been a hugh gain. So they were on the same page there.
Lastly, the rookie recievers looked bad. Both Ogletree and Johnson dropped tons of passes. It was a tough day to throw when the defense is blitzing and your recievers are so raw.:star:

Tell us more dude.

cowcoach

Reaction score
Another thing that stuck out is the new kicker. He was on the sideline kicking fieldgoals between plays at a radical angle. He was nailing them from the 30 yardline, but it was such a hard angle that you could add 10 yards to the kick.
At the end of practice he was kicking from the 43 yardline and was clearing the uprights, not the crossbar, but the uprights. Those kicks would have been good from past the 50 yardline.
Also, you should see Choice run. I thought he had the best moves and speed of the running backs that day. I hope he sees more action this year as he really stands out.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
I just can't see how these guys won't be in sync by the first game of the season. I am bettiing that they keep working at it until they get it. They both need each other, they both know it, and they will throw and catch as many balls as they need to.

I have no doubt that they will work together well. I don't know if RW will get 700 yards or 1,300 yards but I am confident that he will be our #1 receiver next year.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowcoach;2807716 said:
You should post more often.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
cowcoach;2807716 said:

lol, I'm really feeling good about these rookie WRs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would bet that people who panic about them not being Montana and Rice in OTA's probably never played a down of football in their life.

Either that or they are crying just to cry.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I hesitate to say this. I've heard completely opposite reports of the doom and gloom Romo and Williams are not on the same page. I've heard that in the OTA's they are trying new things, not set plays already in the playbook.

Bluefin

Reaction score
CATCH17;2807869 said:
I would bet that people who panic about them not being Montana and Rice in OTA's probably never played a down of football in their life.

Either that or they are crying just to cry.

I think some posters just overreact to what is written or said on TV about the team.

I remember some posters jumping all over Martellus Bennett for being an immature kid who didn't have his head in the game during training camp because Hard Knocks showed him in that light early on.

A recent TV clip on the corners showed Orlando Scandrick with a PBU and Mike Jenkins giving up a completion to imply that Ozone is the better player and some fans bit on that.

ESPN's Matt Mosley completely ignores anything positive about Roy Williams and focuses only on the negative because he knows fans are worried about the trade being labeled a bust.

Plenty of fans see it for what it is, but some lap it up and it all creates attention, which is what anyone in the media is aiming for.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Hostile;2807890 said:
I've heard completely opposite reports of the doom and gloom Romo and Williams are not on the same page. I've heard that in the OTA's they are trying new things, not set plays already in the playbook.

It's unfair to say Tony Romo and Roy Williams aren't on the same page when in fact the entire offense is trying to find its rhythm lining up against an actual defense again during the OTAs for the first time since the season ended.

The QB and wideouts practicing together in off-season throwing sessions against air isn't the same as going against the defense.

And the OTAs are about implementing new plays and formations into the playbook so that the players don't have to learn them during training camp.

This is also when Romo may fiddle around at times with how he throws the football. Romo doesn't just practice dropping back and throwing in perfect form from a clean pocket.

He also works on sidearm delivery and being unable to step in to his throws because of a rush to simulate the adverse conditions of playing in an actual game.

Romo wants to be able to throw the ball in any manner necessary, which may account for some of the fluttery passes observed a week ago by the media.

odog422

Reaction score
cowcoach;2807786 said:
Another thing that stuck out is the new kicker. He was on the sideline kicking fieldgoals between plays at a radical angle. He was nailing them from the 30 yardline, but it was such a hard angle that you could add 10 yards to the kick.
At the end of practice he was kicking from the 43 yardline and was clearing the uprights, not the crossbar, but the uprights. Those kicks would have been good from past the 50 yardline.
Also, you should see Choice run. I thought he had the best moves and speed of the running backs that day. I hope he sees more action this year as he really stands out.

I swear this guy is the most natural runner on the team. I've said this in several posts already but no question in my mind rotation should be Choice heavy early, Barber late with Felix mixed in all over.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Angus;2807910 said:
On what team?

:rolleyes:

Angus, are you predicting a much better season than that. As I posted earlier, I am. And those numbers came by using his career YPC. For some reason, I think he'll average 15 ypc in this offense.

Angus

Reaction score
JeffInDC;2807960 said:
Angus, are you predicting a much better season than that. As I posted earlier, I am. And those numbers came by using his career YPC. For some reason, I think he'll average 15 ypc in this offense.

I hope you are right, but I have no confidence in Roy Williams becoming even a good player in the Cowboys system, which requires dedication, preparedness, a work ethic, and precise route running of wide receivers, attributes none of which Williams has demonstrated, it seems to me. In addition, he was one of those following Owens lead in creating dissension last year, and I am afraid he will exhibit the same pattern this year - a locker room cancer.

I'm expecting a good season for the Cowboys despite Williams, not because of him.

:)

cowcoach

Reaction score
Hey guys, I may get a chance to go to some of the mini-camps practices next week and if I do I will report back with more information. Last Tuesday a friend at CFBISD asked me to be security for the OTA so that was how I happened to be at the workout.
One other funny thing I saw at the OTA, Coach Garrett was still following Bennett around and was in his ear just like on Hard Knocks. Bennett looked good by the way except for one play.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
cowcoach;2807716 said:

I think that should be a bread and butter play for those two. Romo's going to get pressured sooner or later and that slant to Roy can be deadly if they can get it right. It's a good outlet for Tony.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
cowcoach;2808530 said:
Hey guys, I may get a chance to go to some of the mini-camps practices next week and if I do I will report back with more information.

That would be much appreciated. It's difficult having the local media being our eyes and ears because they often seem to just see and hear what they want.