FWST/DC.COM/DMN Blog: Wade addressed the team about controversy

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
<snipped from FWST blog>

Despite the issues Wade Phillips said this morning his team is not divided in the locker room. Phillips also said there is not an issue. It was such a none issue Phillips felt he had to discuss the controversy with the team and said he "hoped" this would not become a distraction for the team.

http://startelegramsports.typepad.com/cowboys/2008/12/jerry-there-is-just-no-issue.html

DC.COM Blog

Phillips Not Worried About Divided Locker Room
Posted by nickeatman at 12/12/2008 11:01 AM CST on truebluefanclub.com

[FONT=verdana,geneva]Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips said he met his team Friday before practice concerning the outside perceptions that have been building here in the last few days regarding tension on his team, particularly between Tony Romo and Terrell Owens. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]Phillips was emphatic during his morning press conference, when asked about the very situation. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]&#8220;I&#8217;m not worried about a divided locker room,&#8221; Phillips said. &#8220;I don&#8217;t agree with that at all. We&#8217;re trying to get this team ready to play. We know we lost a close game last week and these kinds of things happen when you lose.&#8221; [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]Obviously, Phillips was referring to recent reports that Owens and Romo are at odds about the pass distribution and possible favoritism being showed to tight end Jason Witten. Apparently, there was a meeting with Owens, Roy Williams and Patrick Crayton with offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]Phillips downplayed the importance of that situation as well. Of course, all of this must be big enough for him to address it to his team. Stay tuned. It&#8217;s not likely this one will be swept under the rug anytime soon.[/FONT]

- Nick Eatman
Comments (1) | Permanent Link

Wade Phillips not worried about a 'divided locker room'

11:03 AM Fri, Dec 12, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Wade Phillips could see the questions coming from a mile away today.

"I am not worried about a divided locker room, no," Phillips said during Friday's news conference.
"I've talked to the team, I've been with the team. I think the team has talked together. We've all talked together. There's enough talking. We need to get it done. That's what I told them. We need to get it done. That's the most important thing."

Later on, Phillips dismissed the idea that some players believe Romo and Witten are scheming to keep other players out of the offensive loop.

"You're going into something that I don't think is true," Phillips said. "That's where yo'ure going. I'm not going there, because I don't believe that. We don't have issues on our team as far as getting ready to play this game. We're getting ready to play this game, and that's what we're goign to do.

Bottom line: Phillips addressed all this stuff in a team meeting this morning and all is well again, supposedly.

"Everything's set straight as far as I'm concerned, and I think the players too," Phillips said. "But we'll see. A lot of it was a non-issue and a lot of the players said the same thing. That's where we are."

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (0) Leave comment | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

hendog

Reaction score
There is no big deal in the coach addressing his team about issues not becoming a problem. I would bet Coughlin's probably had about 100 such meetings.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
What a suprise... the fat jolly goofball isn't worried.

We'll just aww shucks are way into the playoffs.

MrMom

Reaction score
We win and this all goes away, mostly.

If TO only gets one or two catches he'll still make some noise (see Deion interview after huge 'Skins win).

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Boy, hearing how Wade Phillips is not worried is such a shock.

Alfred E. Newman has nothing on him.

morieeel

Reaction score
Baghdad Wade
bagdad_bob_large.gif

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
What's he supposed to say? That he's horribly worried by it and he thinks this catastrophe is the end of the team? :rolleyes:

How is he sticking his head in the sand when he addressed it right away and said he talked to the team about it?

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2483918 said:
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Stay tuned. It’s not likely this one will be swept under the rug anytime soon.[/FONT]

- Nick Eatman
http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...hillips-not-worried-about-a-divide.html#email

I bet it will be if we win. Seriously, if we beat the defending super bowl champs...this will not be an issue.

But if we lose...WATCH OUT!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2483964 said:
What's he supposed to say? That he's horribly worried by it and he thinks this catastrophe is the end of the team? :rolleyes:

How is he sticking his head in the sand when he addressed it right away and said he talked to the team about it?
Well, he was supposed to tell what he said to the team, as well. Not enough to say he addressed the team. He's supposed to give details.

Saying he isn't worried about it, doesn't mean he's not concerned/worried/pissed about it all. Just means, as the HC, he's got other concerns than a bunch of divas.

At least that's how I see it.

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;2483938 said:

Of course its not a surprise that he said he's not worried. He's not going to be stupid and say that there is a lot of tension between players and he is worried that the locker room will soon take sides.

Then he can talk about who's side he will be on. And by that point, he will ask to be fired. Then all cowboy fans can cheer. But it will only take the new coach a week before someone says he should be fired. And then we can do it all over again.

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2483978 said:
Well, he was supposed to tell what he said to the team, as well. Not enough to say he addressed the team. He's supposed to give details.

Saying he isn't worried about it, doesn't mean he's not concerned/worried/pissed about it all. Just means, as the HC, he's got other concerns than a bunch of divas.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic here or not. Too much sarcasm on this forum. Including myself. lol

But if not sarcastic, why is it that he was "supposed to" tell what he said to the team.

It should be kept between him and the team. Just like other meetings that take place.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2483978 said:

I just hope the team hears him.

well said by the way.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sacowboysfan513;2483988 said:
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic here or not. Too much sarcasm on this forum. Including myself. lol

But if not sarcastic, why is it that he was "supposed to" tell what he said to the team.

It should be kept between him and the team. Just like other meetings that take place.
Sarcasm is my middle name... ;)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2483978 said:

Agree.

And the on your first point (which yes, I knew was sarcastic ;)), the media asked him what he told them, and he said "What, am I supposed to tell everyone everything, too?" Then that it was a TEAM matter, a family matter, and that it was between them.

I did catch that part. :)

But even if he does think it's a big deal, he's not going announce that to the world. No coach would. I don't see why people get so upset when Wade does what other coaches do.

arync

Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;2483938 said:

What is he supposed to do? Why would he tell the media anything different? What he says to the team needs to stay in the locker room. The media, us as fans don't need to know. The only thing that we need to worry about is how they play sunday night. Winning is the bottom line and none of us are in a position to comment on how the situation is being handled.

Wood

Reaction score
I am getting that same feeling I did around the Arizona & Rams game when Wade said everything was fine and he talked to the players then we watched a helpless cowboy team get slapped around for 4 quarters. Something hasnt been right all year..and we are finally getting to the internal chatter of what really at the core here....this is a 10-headed snake going in 10 directions.