FWST Discussion Board members

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First off .. welcome to the Zone :D

The problem big companies run into is that the moderation requirements required to keep the forums clean are beyond what they have or are willing to spend on hiring a moderator staff. Advertisers and readers see their forums and in some cases get offended or upset at what they read, then complain about it to people in charge of the overall site. Those people tend to place very little value on the forums with regards to the overall site and usually find it easier to remove them rather than police them.

We are very fortunate here to have a great group of moderators (volunteer moderators I might add) that care enough to consistently moderate this site on a daily basis.

-Reality

Fmart322

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone here who has welcomed us. Don't let the bad apples of the ST label all of us, there were pleanty of real good posters over there. Everyone just remembers the bad ones and that's too bad.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Fmart322 said:
Thanks to everyone here who has welcomed us. Don't let the bad apples of the ST label all of us, there were pleanty of real good posters over there. Everyone just remembers the bad ones and that's too bad.
The bad apples always reveal themselves. Don't worry about being labeled. Just be yourself and enjoy the forum.

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
Couldn't be much worse than the Dallas Morning News Forum where Gtorres and his henchmen ran anyone off with whom they didn't agree.

Was my first Cowboys message board too. :laugh2:

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey Randy,

Boyzmama here. I'll be checking in from time to time. I'm sorry to see FWST go, but it had gotten out of hand. As crazy as this sounds, I'm gonna miss the whining of some of the "experts" who posted there. One thing about this forum, everyone here is a Cowboys fan and actually acts like it.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Trust me this place is much better, since sportsbabe and STSinaz showed up here you aren't missing anything.

randy932

Reaction score
Big Dakota said:
I started going there in late 1999 when i got a PC. Never posted till 2002 but i enjoyed reading all the info. It was good back then. Then it just blew up and i moved on. I really do think all in all this is the best site for Cowboys info. I can't say it surprises me it's gone. It went to heck long ago and needed to be done away with.

Oh there were a lot of whackos, but it still was a good board, if for no other reason than it was a place where you could get some good info, and also tell a whacko that he was a whacko, in no uncertain terms. there was a certain amount of freedom that is missing in most boards. Of course, that same freedom is what allowed those whackos to bring down the board. I'm going to miss it, but, I will move on, too, and look forward to making new friends, and rekindling old friendships here. Thanks for the welcome guys.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Forum dynamics are fascinating to me.

There was a group of posters on our old forum who used to hate it when anyone from DMN showed up there. They were coming from an unmoderated forum to a moderated one and often there was friction.

Some of these same posters left and formed their own forum because they wanted more freedom to say what they wanted to say. I always found that dichotomy a bit strange but I really do hope they're happy with their forum. They won't believe that, but oh well.

I came here from DMN because there was structure and Guidelines. I see those as necessary in order to grow and become everything that a forum can become. What is that? Quite simply a one stop place to find every scrap of news on the team and the doings of the rest of the NFL. Throw in a little friendliness and some joking around and you create a brotherhood.

That's what I like about being a Cowboys fan. I'm a former country bumpkin living in the middle of an oven called Arizona. I don't think I'm off base in saying most on this forum can't relate to that. All we have in common is the Cowboys. Maybe it's just me but I think that's enough to establish some very good friendships.

This is a great place for that reason alone if no other. There are always some who simply want to fight. There are some not worth reading. There are some who you hang on every word they post and enjoy the thinking.

I really don't understand inter-forum jealousy and in truth, I don't want to. At one time I cared enough to let it bother me. Never again. It isn't worth the effort to even give it a 2nd thought.

Good post.

I've been lurking around here for well over a year now, but declined to post until just recently, but even before i became more vocal...

Hostile said it best.

There's definitely as sense of comaraderie.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Forum dynamics are fascinating to me.

There was a group of posters on our old forum who used to hate it when anyone from DMN showed up there. They were coming from an unmoderated forum to a moderated one and often there was friction.

Some of these same posters left and formed their own forum because they wanted more freedom to say what they wanted to say. I always found that dichotomy a bit strange but I really do hope they're happy with their forum. They won't believe that, but oh well.

I came here from DMN because there was structure and Guidelines. I see those as necessary in order to grow and become everything that a forum can become. What is that? Quite simply a one stop place to find every scrap of news on the team and the doings of the rest of the NFL. Throw in a little friendliness and some joking around and you create a brotherhood.

That's what I like about being a Cowboys fan. I'm a former country bumpkin living in the middle of an oven called Arizona. I don't think I'm off base in saying most on this forum can't relate to that. All we have in common is the Cowboys. Maybe it's just me but I think that's enough to establish some very good friendships.

This is a great place for that reason alone if no other. There are always some who simply want to fight. There are some not worth reading. There are some who you hang on every word they post and enjoy the thinking.

I really don't understand inter-forum jealousy and in truth, I don't want to. At one time I cared enough to let it bother me. Never again. It isn't worth the effort to even give it a 2nd thought.

heh, forum dynamics can facinate, but they can also frustrate the hell out of you at times. trying to "mod" one and be fair to all is even harder.

the dmn boards were my own haunting grounds for quite some time (used real name, not "on air name" of *jerry* there) and w/o the moderation it was quite some struggle to keep it sane. for awhile that was the only site i knew of that spawned death threats over opinions. well, a few weeks ago that got taken care of and i got to add my own name to the list of the receiving end of that! >g<

amazing how people can get worked up by words on the screen to the point where their own life loses so much focus they have to threaten another. ANYWAY...

i think this board started off as an offshoot to the DMN and just grew mostly due to being well managed and features that continue to be added to the community to make it so popular. i, like others, get frustrated at times but in the end, we're all still cowboy fans (almost all, right?) and are just glad another season is underway and we can get some real news going and less "speculation".

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
iceberg said:
heh, forum dynamics can facinate, but they can also frustrate the hell out of you at times. trying to "mod" one and be fair to all is even harder.
Truer words were never written on a forum. This is exactly why I do not go to ES or any other forum trying to get into a pissing contest. I have too much respect for how hard it is to control to join that throng.

randy932

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita said:
Hey Randy,

Boyzmama here. I'll be checking in from time to time. I'm sorry to see FWST go, but it had gotten out of hand. As crazy as this sounds, I'm gonna miss the whining of some of the "experts" who posted there. One thing about this forum, everyone here is a Cowboys fan and actually acts like it.

I have just received some further news about the FWST boards:

Hi Randy:

Thank you for your interest in the message boards. We understand the
need to have them for readers' use, but they simply became too
difficult
to police thanks to the ugliness of a few.

We are trying to get new boards set up that we can moderate better. We
hope to have that done within a few weeks.

Thank you,
Kathy Vetter
Managing Editor/Online
Fort Worth Star-Telegram

stiletto

Reaction score
I doubt I will go back there anyways. There were about 4 or 5 posters that ruined the board by just posting hate spewed messages mostly of the off topic nature. I admit I got in a few heated discussions myself. Nothing wrong with discussion but when it got to name calling (which it did often) it really wasn't worth it. I'll hang here and cowboys-forum.com to get my Cowboys news....I will try not to tick too many off when offering opinions.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CanadianCowboysFan said:
Couldn't be much worse than the Dallas Morning News Forum where Gtorres and his henchmen ran anyone off with whom they didn't agree.

Yes that board turned BAD...I think that was where a good deal of posters came from that are on this board now.

CoCo

Reaction score
Since we are discussing our message board heritages...

Austin 360 was where I hung out for years. Tried a couple others but the quality of folks in that little community was hard to beat.

Then of course a couple new folks came in and ruined it with their constant harrassment. The site was unmoderated mostly. The features were HORRIBLE, but the people were good. I checked the board the other day and there were literally just a dozen posts since the draft. Bout as dead as it can get and yet the old regulars (most of which are now here or at DCC) still check in there periodically.

The work that goes into this site is amazing and very much appreciated!!

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
stiletto said:
I doubt I will go back there anyways. There were about 4 or 5 posters that ruined the board by just posting hate spewed messages mostly of the off topic nature. I admit I got in a few heated discussions myself. Nothing wrong with discussion but when it got to name calling (which it did often) it really wasn't worth it. I'll hang here and cowboys-forum.com to get my Cowboys news....I will try not to tick too many off when offering opinions.

One big reason that Political/Religious threads are strictly forbidden here at the Zone...

It causes nothing but hard feelings and ends up affecting the common goal for being here, talking Dallas Cowboys football...