Gallup, Shultz, Bland, or Cooper

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Essentially, letting Cooper go allowed us to resign Gallup and keep Shultz in the passing game. And although Jerry got fleeced on the trade we did pick up a 5th and we can say they used it well drafting Bland.

So who are you taking? Gallup, Shultz and Bland or Cooper?

And lets remember that had Cooper stayed he would be the #2 here with Lamb going into full #1 role feature mode.

Stsinaz12

Reaction score
Essentially, letting Cooper go allowed us to resign Gallup and keep Shultz in the passing game. And although Jerry got fleeced on the trade we did pick up a 5th and we can say they used it well drafting Bland.

And lets remember that had Cooper stayed he would be the #2 here with Lamb going into full #1 role feature mode.
Not if he restructured like he did with the browns cbr

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is all in the past.
Just go and win.

When some fans that were against it, see what they have in cap room in March, they may understand more and like it. As that will go a long way to resign other players. And yes, maybe a few FA’s.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Your not the one who was comparing Noah Brown to Cooper early in the year are you?

Is this the take you are trying now that Bland showed up?

Noah was filling in nicely. Then Gallup came back and Noah went down. Not sure your angle here.

As far as Bland, yah its another way of thinking about it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It is all in the past.
Just go and win.

When some fans that were against it, see what they have in cap room in March, they may understand more and like it. As that will go a long way to resign other players. And yes, maybe a few FA’s.

Well said. This was a 3 year decision not just one year.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

I agree on the Gallup and Schultz comment. And if there is a way to do some kind of math on the production those two guys bring to what Cooper was offering at the end of his time here, I think the "numbers" would be seriously in favor of Gallup and Schultz.

Your position on Lambs becoming a grown arse man is a point well taken. I guess where I might see things a bit different than your assessment of Lamb and Cooper is this.

I can't help but think the team would see Lamb as nothing more than a slot receiver if Cooper stayed. And I have to wonder if Cooper's being number one would have severely underdeveloped Lamb?

Roy, I know you have seen the comments here where fans say things like, "We need to see what the young guys can do," and, "Player A is preventing progress because player B can't get on the field." I mostly see those as laughable statements because so much of what they entail is hope, and pet cats.

But in the instance of Lamb, I don't know if Moore would have been drawing up some of the plays that have been successful for Lamb in recent weeks. Especially putting Lamb in motion to pick the defender who will cover him. I have to think they might have used Cooper in those plays. I can never say for sure, but in this case, and what we are seeing right now from Lamb, I might have to say Cooper was preventing the growing maturation of Lamb in this offense. Frankly, I think that is clear. I don't know that Lamb would ever have been seen as #1. And if that is the case, would the brain trust here - and I use the term brain more in jest - have moved Lamb along for production reasons if Cooper was staying.

Last point. I was thrilled with Cooper coming here. But his production and lack of interest soured me on this player.

All in all, Dallas may have paid a bit much, but Dallas still prospered a great amount in all this ordeal.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree on the Gallup and Schultz comment. And if there is a way to do some kind of math on the production those two guys bring to what Cooper was offering at the end of his time here, I think the "numbers" would be seriously in favor of Gallup and Schultz.

Your position on Lambs becoming a grown arse man is a point well taken. I guess where I might see things a bit different than your assessment of Lamb and Cooper is this.

I can't help but think the team would see Lamb as nothing more than a slot receiver if Cooper stayed. And I have to wonder if Cooper's being number one would have severely underdeveloped Lamb?

Roy, I know you have seen the comments here where fans say things like, "We need to see what the young guys can do," and, "Player A is preventing progress because player B can't get on the field." I mostly see those as laughable statements because so much of what they entail is hope, and pet cats.

But in the instance of Lamb, I don't know if Moore would have been drawing up some of the plays that have been successful for Lamb in recent weeks. Especially putting Lamb in motion to pick the defender who will cover him. I have to think they might have used Cooper in those plays. I can never say for sure, but in this case, and what we are seeing right now from Lamb, I might have to say Cooper was preventing the growing maturation of Lamb in this offense. Frankly, I think that is clear. I don't know that Lamb would ever have been seen as #1. And if that is the case, would the brain trust here - and I use the term brain more in jest - have moved Lamb along for production reasons if Cooper was staying.

Last point. I was thrilled with Cooper coming here. But his production and lack of interest soured me on this player.

All in all, Dallas may have paid a bit much, but Dallas still prospered a great amount in all this ordeal.

No, I think you make a great point. And essentially we are underutilizing Lamb and underutilizing Cooper if we had them both. Cowboys made the decision to feature Lamb and not hold him back with Cooper. On that call I agree. I think Lamb is more versatile and the better player overall. So the question becomes why keep Cooper and his 22 million dollar tag over the next 3 years? Is it a luxury we really need? My answer is definitely no we dont need the luxury of Cooper. The offense can be great without him. But we did need to hold onto Gallup and Shultz.

So for me in every way I like what they did. Pollard was also a part of this for me as they had one of the best offensive weapons sitting on the bench for 3 years. Making Pollard more involved was there for the taking.

Personally I dont think they miss Cooper at all. I think the offense is better this year than it was last year. And Lamb is able to show what he can truly do.

And you have to think that Dak was in big time on this decision. And they probably asked him straight up about Cooper, Lamb, Gallup, and Shultz and what he would have wanted.

fivetwos

Reaction score
No biggie. Thanks for clarifying.
I don’t miss Cooper. We needed to run more and play defense. Not pay guys who don’t show at times and complain at others 20m a year.

It’s more Dak friendly that way. Not that he is just a bus driver, but he can really excel with a strong run attack. This years team is better than last for certain.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score

People here who have said they have football smarts said Cooper will be sorely missed. Since Dak came back our offense hasn't missed a beat.

At the same spot we are 9-3, last year with Cooper we were 8-4. I'm glad we saved money by shipping him off.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don’t miss Cooper. We needed to run more and play defense. Not pay guys who don’t show at times and complain at others 20m a year.

It’s more Dak friendly that way. Not that he is just a bus driver, but he can really excel with a strong run attack. This years team is better than last for certain.

Absolutely. A good run game is a QB's best friend.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
People here who have said they have football smarts said Cooper will be sorely missed. Since Dak came back our offense hasn't missed a beat.

At the same spot we are 9-3, last year with Cooper we were 8-4. I'm glad we saved money by shipping him off.

Some of them said our offense wouldnt even be in the top half of the league.

Stsinaz12

Reaction score
Not trying to call you out, but technically the pick that came from Cleveland was used on Waletzko.

Bland was our own selection. Clark was a comp pick.
Noah went down because his buddy rush stopped playing