Gallup to Raiders

rags747

Reaction score
That's a huge salary cut for him. I wish him well.

I don't understand why players ask for so much money only to be cut once they get it, then they take a lot less money to sign with another team. I guess getting one payday means a lot to them. Personally, I think there is value in longevity too.
If he has a standout year he can still get pretty decent money on a 2-3 year deal with the Raiders. With the money he was able to bank with his Cowboys contract he should be set for life hopefully. That’s what all of these players are aiming for.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
They saved 800k on the cap. Cap hit, 13-8M, dead cap 13M. They saved money because it is spread out over 2 years. But they're still paying it.
Payment and Cap Charge aren’t the same thing. Cowboys aren’t paying Gallup a dime in 2024 or 2025. Cap Charge is for prior payments.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Gallup has some value; Gallup will likely be better another year removed from his injury.

However.....

We paid him way too much and way too early while he was injured, at a time no one else would have paid him.
The front office pays the so so guys too early and too much, but they let the stars wait to see what the market brings and end up paying them more than they should have.

If he wasn't on such a ridiculous contract for a #3 receiver, I'm sure we would have kept him.
Our front office brings a knife to a gun fight.
:facepalm:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Which we didn't necessarily do. I mean, I'm OK with trying Tolbert, Brooks, Turpin and Flournoy instead, but just because Gallup wasn't very good doesn't mean they will be better. Guess you can throw Durden, Cropper and Bryant in there as well.
I understand where you are coming from, but there has to be a roster churn if a positional group isn't improving.
We got
CD
Cooks
Tolbert
and a lot of question marks after that.
We got some really nice targets at TE though; I will say that.
It's going to make a big difference, the TEs on this team could possibly eat into WR3 numbers easily, so I'm not really concerned with the WR depth
when I evaluate all possible receiving targets available if integrated properly.
If Deuce has any chance of making final cuts, he needs to be working closely everyday with short screens, drop offs, he just needs to be given the ball in space and hope that he doesn't get totally crushed by a 270 DE, he has survived this long running his tail off in open space so let's give him some, do I need to draw up some plays to integrate this.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from, but there has to be a roster churn if a positional group isn't improving.
We got
CD
Cooks
Tolbert
It's going to make a big difference, the TEs on this team could possibly eat into WR3 numbers easily, so I'm not really concerned with the WR depth
when I evaluate all possible receiving targets available if integrated properly.
If Deuce has any chance of making final cuts, he needs to be working closely everyday with short screens, drop offs, he just needs to be given the ball in space and hope that he doesn't get totally crushed by a 270 DE, he has survived this long running his tail off in open space so let's give him some, do I need to draw up some plays to integrate this.
What I hope is that if we see it's not working, we'll make a move to try to fix it. The Joneses have traded before during/after camp, so some of the weak areas could be addressed. Of course, they also have let us enter seasons with weak areas, so who knows? I believe in being proactive, but the Joneses are clearly reactionary.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think we should stop paying players immediately after tearing an ACL.
You're probably right. I just didn't see Gallup's contract as cap prohibitive. And since the money against the cap is the same whether he stays or goes, why not just keep him for 1 more year? But I can see now why they made him a June 1st cut with only a 13M dead cap. Because they had no intension of spending any money this year. They need every penny of the savings.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
The amount of money we sign him for and the amount he signed there, great job Jones.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We got
CD
Cooks
Tolbert
Zeke was always daks safety blanket....so i expect him to get catches as well.

Tussinman

Reaction score
They saved 800k on the cap. Cap hit, 13-8M, dead cap 13M. They saved money because it is spread out over 2 years. But they're still paying it.
Yes and No. Cutting him accelerates the dead money but you're off the hook for his 8.5 million base rate.

His 8.5 million base rate would have been paid if he stayed another year so technically yes, they did save 8 million it just doesn't look like it because the dead money takes effect sooner.

They would have paid that on top of the dead money where now they are just paying the dead money.

Payment and Cap Charge aren’t the same thing. Cowboys aren’t paying Gallup a dime in 2024 or 2025. Cap Charge is for prior payments.
Exactly, they don't physically pay Gallup anymore money there just eating the cap charge of cash that's already been paid to him.

If he had stayed they would be paying him 8.5 million cash (his base rate) ontop of up to another 1 million in incentives.

It looks like where paying him because his dead cap is accelerated but in practical terms this actually saves alot of money which is why they did it.

To make it worst if he had for some reason stayed, they probably would have turned a good chunk of his 2024 base salary into a bonus and pushed even more dead money farther down the books!

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Yes and No. Cutting him accelerates the dead money but you're off the hook for his 8.5 million base rate.

His 8.5 million base rate would have been paid if he stayed another year so technically yes, they did save 8 million it just doesn't look like it because the dead money takes effect sooner.

They would have paid that on top of the dead money where now they are just paying the dead money.
Yeah, I rarely take that into consideration. Hell, I'm not the one paying it. I'm just looking at the cap hits. When people say, it will save them 8 million dollars, again, I'm thinking cap hit. Not what they're actually saving. Hard to break the habit.

Sydla

Reaction score
I have no issues with us cutting him but I am also confident that he'll rebound and be pretty good.

That's just how it goes in Cowboys World. LOL.