Gallup - What effect does this have on him?

vnick

Reaction score
There's not many if any slot corners that can cover Cooper or Lamb one on one. So with Gallup on the outside, he's going to see lots of man to man coverage and he has excellent skill in that area. I think this opens things up tremendously for him because a safety will have to account for one of Cooper or Lamb because one of those draws the third CB and the other likely draws the top CB, giving Gallup a lot of favorable match-ups. The other safety will have to account for Jarwin or Zeke out of the backfield because Zeke on a linebacker is a serious mismatch. Lamb is going to open a lot up.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
I think he definitely rebounded later in the season after the atrocious Jets game. I still don’t ever see him as a #1 option but fortunately he shouldn’t ever have to be.

I know he put up yards but still had awful moments like the Eagles game. Lack of concentration at big moments were his biggest problem.
He can get us a 2 nd rounder: he’s a1000 yard receiver.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
There is no preconceived effect on Gallup by drafting Lamb. If MG continues to play well he will remain our 2WR. Competition is good for everyone.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Lamb is truly replacing Witten if you want to get real about things.
Three wide sets will be the base offense, and the days of two TE sets being the bread and butter on offense is over.
Truly a beautiful thing to think about.

Cmac

Reaction score
Gallup should be ok.....no need for egos to be in the way. He will be more of threat now.

MaaS

Reaction score
To be honest, I think this says more about Amari than Gallup. His contract is structured so that Dallas can escape after two years. Gallup is an ascending player on the outside.

I agree. My guess is Dallas will move on from Amari in two years when Gallup needs to be paid if Lamb works out.

Cooper will be 28 and should be worth a solid pick in a trade.

John813

Reaction score
Helps him out.

Now when they go three wide defenses have to account for Cooper, Lamb and Gallup as wide receivers. Jarwin can stretch the field too.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think he definitely rebounded later in the season after the atrocious Jets game. I still don’t ever see him as a #1 option but fortunately he shouldn’t ever have to be.

I know he put up yards but still had awful moments like the Eagles game. Lack of concentration at big moments were his biggest problem.

Dude had over 1100 yards in 14 games. I like him a lot, but I think this pick, just assured Gallup is gone after the 2021 season. He will be in line for a big pay day, and that won't happen here most likely with Cooper and Lamb making big money.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Better numbers. Gallup is assured single coverage and he eats up 1 on 1.

817Gill

Reaction score
Both Cooper and Gallup celebrated the pick on Instagram stories. Both welcomed him and said they are ready to work. They were super close with Cobb last year, they know 3 WRs can all eat.

Plus the way Cooper is, he really won’t mind if someone else handles more responsibility.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
This offense can sustain 3 1,000 yard receivers.

They came close to doing it last year.

The Realist

Reaction score

Someone is gonna act like Tampa did when Alvin Harper was a FA give him crazy money. We won’t be willing to give him crazy money so now we are covered....and have 3 good WR’s until then.

SSoup

Reaction score
To be honest, I think this says more about Amari than Gallup. His contract is structured so that Dallas can escape after two years. Gallup is an ascending player on the outside.
I think it says more about us acknowledging the reality that, when you no longer have a TE posting legit #2 WR numbers (like we got used to during the good Witten years, and never really learned how to live without during the bad Witten years), your #3 WR needs to be much, much better than a weak-sauce gadget player.

Its kind of like how, after Darren Woodson could no longer slide down and handle our slot corner duties and we couldn't rely on that luxury anymore, we had to actually acknowledge the reality of the slot corner being a de-facto starter in the modern era.

We had two 1,000 yard receivers who are both relatively young and who we really love. The fact that we wanted to add another weapon, to me, tells me we miss the days when we had peak Witten posting #2 WR numbers on top of whatever our top 2 WRs gave us.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Changes very little for this year. Likely Gallop walks when his contract is up and Ceedee could slide to the #1 or #2 role alongside Cooper.

nobody

Reaction score
Changes very little for this year. Likely Gallop walks when his contract is up and Ceedee could slide to the #1 or #2 role alongside Cooper.

I think that depends a lot on Gallup's performance this year... It's even possible that they cut Cooper in two years, or trade him in 1... not that I want that. Right now it's a crazy scary receiver group for opposing offenses and I love that.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

This affects him very positively.

He was never intended as a #1 WR.

His production depends on the TE, slot and #1 WR drawing coverage so he stays in single coverage.

Scheme is everything for him.

The team adopted to his skills.

That being said, CD will blow his coverage clear off the field.

You can not double cover Amari, CeeDee and Zeke and him every play.

Dak is really in the spotlight now.

dckid

Reaction score

I think what happened was the Cowboys took advantage of an opportunity that presented itself.
We really don't know what this means long term. If it works out we have a great player at a 5 year fixed cost. If it pans out he can be the replacement for Gallup and possibly Cooper.
This allows us to play out Gallups contract and not pay him ahead of time. My goal would be to keep developing Gallup and possibly trade him.
We don't need to have the answer right now, but it opens up many different possiblities.