Gallup will always be 2

blindzebra

Reaction score
Why can they not sign both? What is unique about the cowboys cap situation that keeps them from signing a franchise qb and #1 WR like many other teams?
They can, like all of his posts, this one is nonsense.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Why can they not sign both? What is unique about the cowboys cap situation that keeps them from signing a franchise qb and #1 WR like many other teams?

How many other teams have a QB asking for $40 million a year?

That's pretty unique

BoysForLife

Reaction score
So what?

There is nothing wrong with him being WR2, is there?

The way he played this year (and will only get better) has been great.

Well said

On the list of issues/potential issues with this team, Michael Gallup is near the bottom

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Ummm, any that is getting a new contract, because that is what the going rate has become.

Gosh I don't remember asking that question.

You asked what is unique

I told you.

Next question

PS the "going rate" is for true top tier QBs. Which should exclude Dak

blindzebra

Reaction score

You asked what is unique

I told you.

Next question
So go apply for a job, the starting salary is 65k a year...you going to take less because it is the first time that became the starting salary?

BoysForLife

Reaction score
So go apply for a job, the starting salary is 65k a year...you going to take less because it is the first time that became the starting salary?

If I was the best, I'd ask for more because I'm worth it.

Dak's not the best. Or anywhere near it.

Next

jnday

Reaction score
I disagree. His second year he showed flashes and honestly down the stretch he seemed more like a #1 than Coop. I like him with Cooper though. I don’t think he’s at a point where you want him to be your main receiving threat.
Gallup was the number one WR on the roster when it came to heart and wanting to make a play.

tm1119

Reaction score

You asked what is unique

I told you.

Next question
How many other teams have a QB asking for $40 million a year?

That's pretty unique

Are you not aware how contracts are manipulated in the nfl? Even if Dak were to get a $40M average annual salary it wouldn’t touch that on the books counting towards the actual salary cap. The cowboys can easily fit Dak, Amari and others under the cap. The #’s are widely available, it’s not that hard to figure out

blindzebra

Reaction score
If I was the best, I'd ask for more because I'm worth it.

Dak's not the best. Or anywhere near it.

Next
You still don't get how contract talks work do you. Each time a vet starter gets a new deal, the market rate goes up. So the next guy is going to get more than that. Is Goff and Wentz better than Brady, Brees, Stafford, and Ryan? They are getting paid more, because of when their contract was made.

Dak has had a better career than both Wentz and Goff while getting paid less than 700K a year to their 8 million. Goff is getting 33.5 per now with 110 mil guaranteed.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Look at the 2020 UFAs on that list. What QB is going to set the market with a long term deal on that list?

Flamma

Reaction score
I haven’t seen anything from this guy that suggest he can be a true #1 if Cowboys don’t retain Cooper.

I think you're right. But I'd like a bunch of WRs like him and Cobb. They know how to get open. They may not be Hopkins, Julio Jones, or Randy Moss types, but if you field enough of those guys you can do well. But as of right now the Cowboys need Cooper.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
You still don't get how contract talks work do you. Each time a vet starter gets a new deal, the market rate goes up. So the next guy is going to get more than that. Is Goff and Wentz better than Brady, Brees, Stafford, and Ryan? They are getting paid more, because of when their contract was made.

Dak has had a better career than both Wentz and Goff while getting paid less than 700K a year to their 8 million. Goff is getting 33.5 per now with 110 mil guaranteed.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Look at the 2020 UFAs on that list. What QB is going to set the market with a long term deal on that list?

I have heard this argument and frankly it's nauseating, not to mention lazy as hell. Why does the market have to be "reset" every year or two? Shouldn't "setting the market" have to do with talent, rather than timing?

Just because the Rams grotesquely overpaid for Goff doesn't mean we should make the same mistake with Dak

BTW--Goff got paid big-time after at least making a super bowl

And after paying him huge dollars, how'd that work out for them this year? They're home in January also, aren't they? Wow. I shudder to think what they would have missed out on this year if they didn't succumb to the prevailing wisdom about "market value". They'd have missed out on.... Well, nothing. But that's not important. The Rams were powerless to do anything other than get out the checkbook. They had no choice. "Market value". Don't question it. Just nod and smile and act like you know what the hell you're talking about because you can parrot a catch phrase that self proclaimed "experts" on TV say

Yeah. Pay your mediocre young QB ridiculous money because he happened to become a Free agent at the "right time". It's market value. We have no choice but to ante up. Makes total sense. It's a can't miss proposition