Gallup will always be 2

quickccc

Reaction score
Dude can play but is he a “roll coverage, premier corner beating, double coverage drawing, top 15 WR1”?

I don’t think so due to his lack of any elite trait. It is very difficult to be an elite WR without any elite physical traits.
Marvin Harrison is the only one that comes to mind.

That being said he is one of the best WR2’s in the league and is performing his role amazingly. Can’t wait for him to get better

i don't get the " Marvin Harrison not having elite traits "
Marvelous Marvin was easily among the fastest players to come into the 1996 Draft Class (that had an outstanding class of 1st rd WRs)
and Harris was a legit 4.3 speed WR with very smooth route running skill set. and he brought it game in-game out every week.

817Gill

Reaction score
i don't get the " Marvin Harrison not having elite traits "
Marvelous Marvin was easily among the fastest players to come into the 1996 Draft Class (that had an outstanding class of 1st rd WRs)
and Harris was a legit 4.3 speed WR with very smooth route running skill set. and he brought it game in-game out every week.
Ok even better for my argument lol. As of now I don’t know 1 elite WR without an elite physical trait.

lwehlers

Reaction score
gallop really needs to improve on drops if not he will always be a number 2 receiver.

exciter

Reaction score
Question for you: give up one. Dak or Amari? One will not be here soon. Both cannot be signed for the money they want. One will walk....
Then why trade for a 1st for Cooper in the 1st place already knowing they would be resigning Dak. Both players have already been offered contracts averaging top 5 at their positions an extra million or to ain't gonna make a big difference in the grand scheme. Both players will be signed or 1 tagged for this year and both will be resigned by 2021!

reddyuta

Reaction score
in 2 years he will price himself out and we will draft another WR.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Who thought Miles Austin was a #1 until he was?
Guys like T. Williams...you can look at them and know it will never happen. With Gallup, it’s possible.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Gotta agree with you. He’s a very good WR2 but I don’t think he’d be consistent as a solid WR1. Would he be worth 15-20 mil a year? Not so sure. Plus he needs to keep the dropsies in check.

Time will tell.

I think the problem is that no one thinks Coop is worth $20-$25 million a year either and willing to take a chance on it. At least not the Coop we saw to end this season.

If Julio Jones makes $22 million and Coop and Agent couldn't agree on a new contract with the Boys, I'm guessing $20 million per year easy.

If Dak and Coop both get what they're asking for, we could be talking close to $60 million a year.

While I definitely think of what happened before we had Coop, and even those lean QB years before we had Romo, man.... that's a lot of money to spend on 2 players. That's close to 1/3 of the new cap.

As much as a I trash talk Jerry, I can see his pain. This really was an 'all in' year. Last season of the contract of so many star players and the head coach he had invested in. As a GM, I think I'd be more upset with this situation, than if it was a complete rebuild.

There's been so much time and money already invested in this direction. Gotta be frustrating as hell for the Jones Family. There's no magic bullet like Parcells coming this time either to fix it all.

quickccc

Reaction score
I haven’t seen anything from this guy that suggest he can be a true #1 if Cowboys don’t retain Cooper.

i guess to each his own ....

Some players take time to develop more so, ..no one thought Terrell Owens would end up being a No.1 feature WR his very early years, much less
an eventual superstar. You just never know.

- Some players have a wall they have to work through, i think Gallup had his version this year. He was up and down and his golden opportunity was
the need to step up when Cooper was going thru his own struggling wall.
(And Coop was supposed to be one of the better WRs period in the NFL ..period)

- Gallup had the dropsies, had bouts with bad routes, but he also remains a factor with coming up with big play catches downfield even
with defenders still hanging upon him.
Though he's not always the smoothest looking athlete and be somewhat awkward when running with the ball in the open field,. he can create some
surprisingly big run after catches. And he has a get-up spring on jump fades in corner of end zone.

- i saw someone post recently and compare him to Terrence Williams- Twiill, which is wacky as Twill never had imposing traits to out physical and cling to deep balls with CBs hanging all over him the way Gallup does, ...Twill never had jump ball skills like Gallup does, and Anthony is still more hands catcher vs the body catcher than Twill was. and he is much better separating vs tight coverage CBS than Twill ever was- and while he has his share of struggles this year, he will (has) shown up far more than TWill did.
i frankly found the TWill comparisons ridiculously laughable..

- I think most starting WRs will and do have their share of pluses/minuses and breakup/slump games,
and i think he has the physical skill set tools and mentality to develop into an eventual featured WR. Gallup just needs to pull it altogether
on more of a every game basis to where his pluses will far out weight his minuses.

Zman5

Reaction score
People need to watch other teams play. Go watch how Antonio Brown played in his first 3 years. He did less than MG. AB was a 6th round pick with below average size and without elite speed. He developed into what he is with time. He blew up in his 4th year and have been an elite WR ever since.

It's still too early to say what MG can or can't be. Next year will give us better indication what he can become. Only complaint I have of him is his drops and that's something that's correctable.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Dude can play but is he a “roll coverage, premier corner beating, double coverage drawing, top 15 WR1”?

I don’t think so due to his lack of any elite trait. It is very difficult to be an elite WR without any elite physical traits. Marvin Harrison is the only one that comes to mind.

That being said he is one of the best WR2’s in the league and is performing his role amazingly. Can’t wait for him to get better

How about Jerry Rice? Stay home and try Michael Irvin? Larry Fitzgerald? None of these guys possessed any inate over matching physical attributes and all are hall of fame caliber receivers.

Gallup has had two season, one and a half of which behind Amari Cooper.

Y'all need hobbies.

817Gill

Reaction score
How about Jerry Rice? Stay home and try Michael Irvin? Larry Fitzgerald? None of these guys possessed any inate over matching physical attributes and all are hall of fame caliber receivers.

Gallup has had two season, one and a half of which behind Amari Cooper.

Y'all need hobbies.
Dude c’mon

Larry is an elite jumper and he’s freakin huge 6’3 220 is elite size for a receiver bro not even close

Jerry Rice had elite hands from his days as a child brick layer. Takes him 6 seasons to drop as many passes Gallup dropped this year.

Irving might not have been a super athlete, but that rage and passion is a trait very few have. Do not compare nice guy Mike to the Playmaker. And I love Michael Gallup btw he was my prediction for our WR pick.

Tussinman

Reaction score
The cowboys have $135M committed in 2020. The 2020 salary cap is expected to be right around $200M. They most certainly can afford both. Don’t let the cap monster scare you
Yes and No

Technically they could squeeze them in there but they cannot afford both if they actually want to field a complete roster next year.

If they want a complete roster (meaning actually replacing Quinn/Bennett, replacing Byron, replacing Cobb, getting actual real Defensive tackles aka replacing Maliek/Convington, signing higher tier back-ups that can get reps in secondary/linebacking core), then no, they cannot dump all there money on Dak/Cooper

I was looking at it from a more logical point of view (they cannot afford 2 elite contracts when they have 7 arguably 8 starting positions that are literally vacant ). '

Signing Dak/Cooper and then filling the 25 vacant roster spots with Jags because that's all you can afford isn't my definition of "we can afford them".

Saying "we only have 135 million spent" doesn't hold much merit when you literally are having 8 starters leave and almost 20 additional backups gone as well (lol)
Don’t let the cap monster scare you
Yeah i'm not some fair weather fan that knows nothing about the cap. I know the cap isn't as bad as most fans make it out to be but you also have to be a realist.

Cowboys replacing there departures with comparable talent via a mix of draft/free agents (plus signing the 20 additional back-up spots) and this "only 135 million" is easily over 170 million not including Dak or amari......... (and that's signing comparable talent, not better)

Last edited:

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dude c’mon

Larry is an elite jumper and he’s freakin huge 6’3 220 is elite size for a receiver bro not even close

Jerry Rice had elite hands from his days as a child brick layer. Takes him 6 seasons to drop as many passes Gallup dropped this year.

Irving might not have been a super athlete, but that rage and passion is a trait very few have. Do not compare nice guy Mike to the Playmaker. And I love Michael Gallup btw he was my prediction for our WR pick.

rage and passion are not physical traits. You’re going against your own original argument