Gallup will always be 2

BoysForLife

Reaction score
has this ever been confirmed? Seems like a rumor that just never died, when to me (uninformed nobody) the real sticking point is that the FO has been pushing for a hometown discount AND unusually long commitment. Think something in the 32-35 range for like 3-4 yrs gets signed ASAP if it were offered.

We know $30 million was flatly refused

If you're assertion that $32-35 would get signed immediately then I have to think the figure Dak's agent is throwing on the table is at or near $40

You always ask for more than what you are willing to "settle for" if you think you are negotiating from a position of strength.

If they're not asking for $40 million it has to be real close to that. If they were asking for $33 a year they would have signed the $30 million a year offer pretty quickly is my suspicion

aikemirv

Reaction score
:clap:
66 catches for 1,107 is pretty good man.
Not seeing why Gallup is not getting more love. He has taken a huge step this season. I also think he will only improve by having more YACs, TDs and less drops. I like what he has done.

in 14 games.....Drops were contagious this year - it gets in your head.

stuckindc

Reaction score
in 14 games.....Drops were contagious this year - it gets in your head.
The biggest drop in the Eagles game...Gotta make that catch..not the one in the end zone...that was on Dak...The one he had the CB beat , and Dak dropped in perfectly...That has to be caught!!!!

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I haven’t seen anything from this guy that suggest he can be a true #1 if Cowboys don’t retain Cooper.
o_O

Gallup’s rise this past season has allowed Dak to take another step in his development and ability as a passer. That said, I have to disagree with you saying Gallup Will Always Be #2. That said, I'm all in on Coops opinion on Gallup.
3l47kg.jpg

First of all, I don’t see Gallup as a number two receiver, I see him as a number 1 receiver; especially with the things that he’s done, this only being his second year, making all the plays he’s making. So, I forgot the question. I blanked out when you called him a number two receiver.”

The biggest drop in the Eagles game...Gotta make that catch..not the one in the end zone...that was on Dak...The one he had the CB beat , and Dak dropped in perfectly...That has to be caught!!!!
Have you talked to Jerry about filling Garrett's shoes? That comment is what I feel was missing drastically in the locker room & practice. Garrett was never a hard core coach and it showed on the field.

75boyz

Reaction score
I have heard this argument and frankly it's nauseating, not to mention lazy as hell. Why does the market have to be "reset" every year or two? Shouldn't "setting the market" have to do with talent, rather than timing?

Just because the Rams grotesquely overpaid for Goff doesn't mean we should make the same mistake with Dak

BTW--Goff got paid big-time after at least making a super bowl

And after paying him huge dollars, how'd that work out for them this year? They're home in January also, aren't they? Wow. I shudder to think what they would have missed out on this year if they didn't succumb to the prevailing wisdom about "market value". They'd have missed out on.... Well, nothing. But that's not important. The Rams were powerless to do anything other than get out the checkbook. They had no choice. "Market value". Don't question it. Just nod and smile and act like you know what the hell you're talking about because you can parrot a catch phrase that self proclaimed "experts" on TV say

Yeah. Pay your mediocre young QB ridiculous money because he happened to become a Free agent at the "right time". It's market value. We have no choice but to ante up. Makes total sense. It's a can't miss proposition

Very strong rebuttal with a logical perspective that I had not considered before you specifically pointed it out here.

I too had fallen victim to both "the going/market rate" syndrome with the element of timing as well.

Nice job here convincing me otherwise. Excellent post.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Very strong rebuttal with a logical perspective that I had not considered before you specifically pointed it out here.

I too had fallen victim to both "the going/market rate" syndrome with the element of timing as well.

Nice job here convincing me otherwise. Excellent post.

You don't have to set/reset the market. You also don't have to sign the guy. But, if you want to and are committed to signing the guy and the going rate will reset the market, then there you are.

This team can pay/not pay whoever they want. Dak is going to get that money, just like anyone else. So, do you prefer to pay the guy, or start over again? That's the only question that matters.

Eightneight

Reaction score
IMO......Let AC go. Draft a top 10 WR to compete/ pair with MG. Save money on the cap and develop said top WR over next 3-4 years then pay him. We need the cap money to spread around the roster, not just to give it to a few elite players. I don't like idea of paying 21, 4 and 19 elite money. It will set the team back too much. I'd rather pay and keep 31 than 19.

75boyz

Reaction score
You don't have to set/reset the market. You also don't have to sign the guy. But, if you want to and are committed to signing the guy and the going rate will reset the market, then there you are.

This team can pay/not pay whoever they want. Dak is going to get that money, just like anyone else. So, do you prefer to pay the guy, or start over again? That's the only question that matters.

If playing the game of absolutes, extremes or no other options I'm starting over with some kinda bridge guy like Fitzpatrick or Bridge and having the courage to wait out "another rehab special" similar to Jaylon, just this time it would be Tua.
Yes, I would trade the appropriate resources if required to move up.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Question for you: give up one. Dak or Amari? One will not be here soon. Both cannot be signed for the money they want. One will walk....

Not really true. The Cowboys will have in excess of $90 million of cap room and can cut Tyrone Crawford and re-do some other contracts to push it up over $100 million. Assuming they franchise Dak (around $33 million) and pay Coop around $18 million, they'll still have roughly $50 million of cap space to play with.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Question for you: give up one. Dak or Amari? One will not be here soon. Both cannot be signed for the money they want. One will walk....

Suck that we gave up a 1st round pick for Amari Cooper but give me Gallup and bring in another solid #2 while also bringing back Randall Cobb. Go with two #2 WR's with a legitimate slot guy and the Dallas offense is set. You don;t need a #1 per say.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Absolutely agree. Without even knowing their stats, Gallup just appeared to be the dominant receiver in many of the games. He should be able to improve on some of his deficiencies while with Cooper we are seeing the final product
I think Cooper still has room to grow but at the same time I do feel like this is what he is at this point. Crazy to think Gallup has that high of a ceiling but its there.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Uhh not only an you bring back Dak and Cooper but you could also bring back Byron Jones also if you wanted to. Money isn't a issue here. Not yet anyway.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Dak is going to get that money, just like anyone else. So, do you prefer to pay the guy, or start over again? That's the only question that matters.

Honest question, do you really think if we let Dak walk and test the market, that some other team would pay him $35-40 million per year?

That's one of the parts of this discussion that sort of gets my dander up. This idea that "if we don't pay him that money, then somebody else will". He's going to get paid one way or another, etc

Being completely candid I would love to see him test the market. I am convinced that there isn't a team out there that would pay him $40 million a year.

And if someone did, they'd regret it

BoysForLife

Reaction score
If playing the game of absolutes, extremes or no other options I'm starting over with some kinda bridge guy like Fitzpatrick or Bridge and having the courage to wait out "another rehab special" similar to Jaylon, just this time it would be Tua.
Yes, I would trade the appropriate resources if required to move up.

And I reciprocate your comments from earlier. This is an excellent post and you are spot on with where I'm at in this process as well

the only difference I might have is I would love to see us do whatever it took to take a run at the number one pick this year and draft Joe burrow. I think his skill-set would be absolutely Dynamite with our offense in the weapons we have

Well said

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
:clap:
66 catches for 1,107 is pretty good man.
Not seeing why Gallup is not getting more love. He has taken a huge step this season. I also think he will only improve by having more YACs, TDs and less drops. I like what he has done.
There has only been one pair of receivers with 1000+ yds receiving..

Dez and Witten.

That is like ancient history. Before that..I am not sure we ever had a pair of receivers like that.

And one thing that has to be accounted for is that in order to pass the ball that much means not running the ball as much.

There are only so many snaps to go around.

So if we are going to do both, that is really tricky and we will need a very good OC to do that.

Moore is not that OC.

Having that as a modern offense that is competing in an aggressive manner is what we have been crying for.

Now..people want to retool that and worry about who and what will improve that are just looney.

They can resign Cooper..its already been accounted for. They would never have traded a #1 pick to Oakland if he was a short-term rental. He is not.

Now Byron Jones maybe unsignable as his money may have to be redivided to afford signing other players and some FAs.

If Richard leaves as secondary coach which is highly likely..

CB and safety go straight to the head of our need list in the draft.

That needs to happen if this defense is going to complete this team being good enough to win any championships.

:huh:

Last edited:

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
PFF just released this piece of information about Cooper. (But it's really also about every other offensive player, including and especially Gallup)

"The Cowboys’ passing offense has been one of the league’s best with Cooper on the field, netting 122.0 EPA on his 907 plays compared to just 2.95 EPA on 425 plays without him."

They're talking about all the Dallas pass plays over the last two seasons, including the 7 games before Cooper's arrival.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-10-non-quarterback-free-agents-on-offense

Mr_437

Reaction score
IMO......Let AC go. Draft a top 10 WR to compete/ pair with MG. Save money on the cap and develop said top WR over next 3-4 years then pay him. We need the cap money to spread around the roster, not just to give it to a few elite players. I don't like idea of paying 21, 4 and 19 elite money. It will set the team back too much. I'd rather pay and keep 31 than 19.
Interesting... I see your perspective. If Byron leaves DAL has nothing close to his production in house. If Amari goes Gallup can soften the loss, plus DAL is more of a running team. Cowboys really should build up their defense.

75boyz

Reaction score
And I reciprocate your comments from earlier. This is an excellent post and you are spot on with where I'm at in this process as well

the only difference I might have is I would love to see us do whatever it took to take a run at the number one pick this year and draft Joe burrow. I think his skill-set would be absolutely Dynamite with our offense in the weapons we have

Well said

Right on, back at cha bro. Yeah, I hear ya man, I'd be okay with any of Burrow, Tua or Lawrence next year. I'm okay with the all in "mortgage the Kings ransom of pickks that it would take too."

Did okay with an undrafted guy.
We kinda hit our ceiling imo on the current 4th rd guy

Might as well change out all the moving parts with not only a new HC and staff, but a first round QB as well...

I'm totally ready for a full out re-boot.