Gamble on Jaylon Smith will pay dividends

aikemirv

Reaction score
The gamble the Cowboys made on Jaylon Smith will more than provide a potential pro-bowl/all pro player.

Combined with their investments in the secondary and steadfast offense, it should allow them to focus writ large on the defensive line in the draft in free agency.

The only thing I'm concerned about is Taco Charlton, but I've never been enamored with that pick, so perhaps I'm biased.

I think with the building blocks of Collins and potentially Irving, and great depth options across the board, it may not be as far behind as I feared. If we can get Lawrence long term for a reasonable price, I would be all up for trading for a dynamic player at defensive end to play opposite him.

If there is an opportunity for a dynamic playmaking safety to replace Heath at the end of the first round - that would be my pick next year

erod

Reaction score
If there is an opportunity for a dynamic playmaking safety to replace Heath at the end of the first round - that would be my pick next year
Heath was phenomenal against the Giants. He was everywhere. Let's see how that plays out because all he did was make plays last year with the limited time he got.

cowboys1985

Reaction score
The great thing about Jaylon's WK1 performance was even if you'd ignored his injury and history and just treated him as a rookie in his first start, you'd be wow'd. There's definitely something special in him, and its up to him to keep building on it.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
There were maybe 10 users that were confident when the pick was made. Personally as a student clinician, I was extremely optimistic about his chances. Glad to see he is showing the FO that they made the correct choice

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Heath was phenomenal against the Giants. He was everywhere. Let's see how that plays out because all he did was make plays last year with the limited time he got.

I will give him credit for playing well, and I was somewhat skeptical about moving him to starter. I said that he makes sense at safety if we're going to primarily use zone coverage, which plays to his strengths. If we were going to continue being a primarily man coverage team then I didn't see him being a good fit for Church's role.

I still believe this to be the case. However, it looks like we're going to be relying on a whole lot more zone coverage this year, which also is a better fit for Carroll. So two of our four starters are probably better zone fits than man, while Scandrick, Brown and Jones are probably equally adept at both. ... I don't know on Awusie and Lewis yet.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Curious, is this a contract year for Irving and Lawrence?

We already have Crawford eating into the our cap kitty. I don't see us having 3 high priced D-linemen. Add that to the cost of our O-linemen (Martin pending) and that's a lot of our resources tied up in our lines.

I firmly believe in building a team from the inside out, build the trenches. There just has to be limits.
Having Dak and Zeke (especially Dak) on the cheap for the next couple of years or so helps a lot in that regard. But you're right, we're going to have a costly O Line (and they'll be worth every penny).

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The only thing I'm concerned about is Taco Charlton, but I've never been enamored with that pick, so perhaps I'm biased.

I understand the concern, but we should know by now based on other players, including Jaylon, that it is way to early to draw conclusions. In our instant gratification society, we seem to have gone from it taking a few years before we know on a player to why isn't he a stud now.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Man, success does have its cost.
Which is why good drafting is paramount. It's a given that some players have to be let go because of the limited cap, but good drafting eases that pain. We need to pay McClay a lot of $$$ to stay around. He doesn't count against the cap, so I'm more than happy to spend Mr. Jones's money.

Last edited:

eyedoc

Reaction score
Curious, is this a contract year for Irving and Lawrence?

We already have Crawford eating into the our cap kitty. I don't see us having 3 high priced D-linemen. Add that to the cost of our O-linemen (Martin pending) and that's a lot of our resources tied up in our lines.

I firmly believe in building a team from the inside out, build the trenches. There just has to be limits.
I know it's Lawrence contract year. He could have a double digit sack total this year. I remember J Ratliff having a high sack total his contract year and he got paid well on a new contract. However he never came close to that one year sack total after he got paid. Go Cowboys

Reaction score
Way too early to talk draft, but I'm looking at LB early next year. Lee is great, but he is on the wrong side of 30. We still don't know about Jaylon, but it looks promising.

Hitchens and Wilbur are gone after this year. And Wilson has a suspension staring at him in the face.

WR will be a need. Butler is gone most likely. But I do like Brown's potential.

You can never have enough o-lineman.

Luckily, we have plenty of picks next year.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
it was a terrible wildcatter reach. Same as many before this one. They never pan out.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The gamble the Cowboys made on Jaylon Smith will more than provide a potential pro-bowl/all pro player.

Combined with their investments in the secondary and steadfast offense, it should allow them to focus writ large on the defensive line in the draft in free agency.

I think with the building blocks of Collins and potentially Irving, and great depth options across the board, it may not be as far behind as I feared. If we can get Lawrence long term for a reasonable price, I would be all up for trading for a dynamic player at defensive end to play opposite him.
:huh:

He physically can't be a quality LB as of right now.

There is no way to know if he will get better physically.

It has been over 18 months since the injury. Initial predictions were less than 1 year for the nerve to re-generate.

RS12

Reaction score
I sincerely doubt it, we are closing in on two years now since the surgery. It is what it is.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but he is a gimp at this point and shouldn’t be on the field.

Sorry, but sometimes the truth hurts

Ken

Reaction score
Glad we are bumping threads now. The other Jaylon thread wasn't good enough obviously.

The book isn't closed onJaylon, I would stop because it is way too early to write him off.

Cmac

Reaction score
We are in great shape. Let's give this season a chance to play out before jumping to judgments about what our needs may be next season. Our Dline may be better than expected. We have a lot of youth there still. Guys do get better sometimes.

We may look at things after this season and feel like LT is our biggest need. I'm more worried about Tyron's back long term than any potential issues with our defense. We'll probably need RB depth and maybe a new, pass catching TE.

But yes, Jaylon has the goods. Hope he stays healthy.
It will not matter if you pair players with potential to old, unimaginative, and mediocre coaching.