Game 4 Mavs/Kings

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Who do you guys think is going to pull out tonight's game? I say the Mavs even the series up at 2

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
windward said:
Who do you guys think is going to pull out tonight's game? I say the Mavs even the series up at 2
I hope you're right Wind.... I hate the kings. Let's go Daniels and Howard tear up Doug Christie and Mike "cry like a" Baby.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Of course, I've got to go with the Mavs on this one.

This is the most crucial game of the series. If the Mavs win, then they've got the momentum in the series. If they lose, then this series is over. They've only lost five at home, and this is a must-win game. Let's keep it going.

BTW, I read something interesting on ESPN's Page 2 - is Marquis Daniels playing Steve Nash out of his job? Personally, it's hard to imagine the Mavs without any of the Big Three, but if Daniels could take over at the point, possibly Dallas could do a sign and trade to acquire a real post player.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
The Real Mavs Man said:

This is the most crucial game of the series. If the Mavs win, then they've got the momentum in the series. If they lose, then this series is over. They've only lost five at home, and this is a must-win game. Let's keep it going.

BTW, I read something interesting on ESPN's Page 2 - is Marquis Daniels playing Steve Nash out of his job? Personally, it's hard to imagine the Mavs without any of the Big Three, but if Daniels could take over at the point, possibly Dallas could do a sign and trade to acquire a real post player.

That would be real intriguing indeed

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
The Real Mavs Man said:

I like Nash but Daniels is very very good. Don't think he'll replace Nash but maybe in a few years it will be very possible. Plus, don't take any rumors from ESPN serious. :) As if you didn't already know that.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
Mavs do what they do best.....Choke. :( Dang, i'm not even a fan of theirs and their repeated ability to choke under pressure and their pathetic defense gets me upset.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
RoyWillisill said:
Mavs do what they do best.....Choke. :( Dang, i'm not even a fan of theirs and their repeated ability to choke under pressure and their pathetic defense gets me upset.
It wasn't always like this (the choking - not the defense :rolleyes: ).

The past few years they've been known for being road warriors and their improbable 4th quarter comebacks. Like in the first year they returned to the playoffs, in 2001, they came back from a 2-0 deficit to win the opening round series against Utah.

But now, in addition to having no defense, they've lost their guts.

Hopefully they'll be making some big changes in the offseason, i.e. trading Antoine Walker, Steve Nash, and Antawn Jamison for a new PG, some young post players, and salary cap space.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
The Real Mavs Man said:
It wasn't always like this (the choking - not the defense :rolleyes: ).

The past few years they've been known for being road warriors and their improbable 4th quarter comebacks. Like in the first year they returned to the playoffs, in 2001, they came back from a 2-0 deficit to win the opening round series against Utah.

But now, in addition to having no defense, they've lost their guts.

Hopefully they'll be making some big changes in the offseason, i.e. trading Antoine Walker, Steve Nash, and Antawn Jamison for a new PG, some young post players, and salary cap space.

Exactly, I hated the trades for Jamison and Walker when they were made, and I hate them now. I also wouldn't be shocked if Nellie gets canned after the season too. This team has too much talent not too be contending for the NBA title

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
windward said:
Exactly, I hated the trades for Jamison and Walker when they were made, and I hate them now. I also wouldn't be shocked if Nellie gets canned after the season too. This team has too much talent not too be contending for the NBA title
I could definitely see Cuban firing Don Nelson if/when the Mavs get ousted by the Kings, although I wouldn't agree with it. Sports franchises are too trigger-happy these days. I would like to see Nelson finish out his contract, or at least have one more season with a new group of guys.

The Mavs underachieved this year, but you can't blame Nelson alone because they are not the same team they were last year. They have bigger names and more shooters, but at the expense of gritty and scrappy players like Adrian Griffin and Raja Bell that made the little differences in each game (and played defense!). All they have now like that is Eduarda Najera.

But while we are not, IMHO, a better team because of those trades, I don't necessarily think those were bad moves. Like the Cowboys, I think the Mavs sacrificed title contention this year in order to make a push in the next couple of years, while still remaining competitive in the short term.

Trading LaFrentz and Van Exel for Walker and Jamison is a no-brainer move, as the latter two have much higher trade value - provided we are able to parlay them into something better. Walker is entering the last year on his contract, Nash is a free agent, and Jamison may work a deal to go to Charlotte (for the #4 pick, please? :) ). Hey, I can dream.

TheHustler

Reaction score
mondays game was a really good game.

the mavs can't seem to get over the top, they've got the talent there with nash, and nowitzki, but they can never beat the team with a good inside game, even if they beat the kings, there was no way they would beat the lakers or spurs.

then again, neither can the kings, but they will have a better chance. kings are slightly better inside.

the two rookies the mavs have are good, howard and daniels right? the mavs need a true center, then they can compete.

the kings signing brad miller was one of the better off season moves that was overshadowed by the lakers moves and the mavs moves. miller gives the kings the inside force they havent had before (sorry vlade).

go kings!!!!!

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
TheHustler said:
mondays game was a really good game.

the mavs can't seem to get over the top, they've got the talent there with nash, and nowitzki, but they can never beat the team with a good inside game, even if they beat the kings, there was no way they would beat the lakers or spurs.

then again, neither can the kings, but they will have a better chance. kings are slightly better inside.

the two rookies the mavs have are good, howard and daniels right? the mavs need a true center, then they can compete.

the kings signing brad miller was one of the better off season moves that was overshadowed by the lakers moves and the mavs moves. miller gives the kings the inside force they havent had before (sorry vlade).

go kings!!!!!

The two moves that I believe doomed the Mavs this offseason were:

(1) pursuing Alonzo Mourning instead of Karl Malone

(2) losing out in the sign and trade for Brad Miller

A line-up of Nash, Finley, Dirk, Malone, and Miller would be vastly improved inside the paint, with reserves Howard, Daniels, Najera, and Jamison (if they could have acquired and kept him).

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
windward said:
I hate the mavs.....

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
The Real Mavs Man said:
The two moves that I believe doomed the Mavs this offseason were:

(1) pursuing Alonzo Mourning instead of Karl Malone

(2) losing out in the sign and trade for Brad Miller

A line-up of Nash, Finley, Dirk, Malone, and Miller would be vastly improved inside the paint, with reserves Howard, Daniels, Najera, and Jamison (if they could have acquired and kept him).

Arghh..... I really wanted Malone. Oh well, at least with Cuban we know we have an owner who's passionat about winning, just like Jerry Jones.

And at any rate being a Mavs fan now i better than it was in the 90's

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
windward said:
Arghh..... I really wanted Malone. Oh well, at least with Cuban we know we have an owner who's passionat about winning, just like Jerry Jones.

And at any rate being a Mavs fan now i better than it was in the 90's
Most definitely. It's just frustrating now when they're so close to going over the top...yet always fall short.

I guess it's punishment for being born so late and missing out in the late 60s and early 70s when the Cowboys were known as "Next Year's Champions".