CFZ Game Footage Review: OG McGovern

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The problem with Biadasz is the fact he rarely holds up at the point of attack on run and pass plays. He gets pushed back by average Joe's. Combine that with CW penalties, Tyrons penalties, and Dak holding the ball like he had an o line like Aikman.

1100+ snaps

zero sacks

starfrombirth

Reaction score
I'll start with my conclusion:
- I reviewed all of this snaps vs KC/Saints/Washington.
- If only 1 interior OL is added, I would prefer to upgrade OC and play McGovern at LG.
- Obviously an All Pro upgrade at both positions would be nice, but unlikely this season.

LG Connor Williams struggled with penalties and was replaced for 4 games by Connor McGovern.
- The overall OLine didn't improve during that time and Connor Williams regained the starting role.

I had said prior to the McGovern experiment that CM would not be an upgrade over CW.
- i.e. I was not 'Pro McGovern'.
- Having said that, it was the logical decision to try McGovern due to CW's penalty issues.

McGovern Game Footage
- McGovern was better than I remembered.
- His issues were primarily mental (technique/awareness/angles).
- He has 'good enough' power and athleticism..

My problem with CW was his lack of power in spite of it being his 4th year and the holding.... gods the holding! My problem with McGovern was his lack of ability to create a hole, whether it's strength, technique or whatever. He seemed to hold up better than CW but then again who wouldn't? So my take is he's better than CW but not by enough to ignore the position. Biadaz just seems weak. He seems to have good technique but get blown off the line. Pair that with a week LG and there is just a huge gap in our oline that screams "Enter Here"! This is the same reason I'm not a fan of drafting Linderbaum. He is too light in the pants and I believe that he will get blown out by the bigger and stronger defensive lineman in the NFL. Unless our LG and Center having gotten much stronger, it's still a problem.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think CMcGov just needs more snaps.

he’s the LG1, until the draft.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we spent the entire draft on OLand DL I'd be fine. If we'd hire a OL coach I'd be giddy. This OL's footwork was crap and always off balance. Don't get me started on discipline.
Get rid of MM and his little buddy ASAP

LittleD

Reaction score
Nice write up.

If Linderbaum is there at our rd 1 pick, I don't see the team passing up on him and immediately improving the OL. Easy pick that has immediate impact.

He is very good technically but, he is short, small, lightweight and has short arms. Dallas didn't bring him in for a visit and he doesn't fit the Dallas mold. The Kentucky center would be a better fit for Dallas if they choose
that route.

tm1119

Reaction score
He is very good technically but, he is short, small, lightweight and has short arms. Dallas didn't bring him in for a visit and he doesn't fit the Dallas mold. The Kentucky center would be a better fit for Dallas if they choose
that route.

1. If take a look at the top 20 C’s in the nfl you’d see Linderbaum’s size is on par with the majority

2. What exactly is the Cowboys mold? Travis Frederick type players only? Zack Martin was 308 with 32 7/8” arms and Connor Williams was under 300 pounds. But you’re saying the cowboys prefer their interior o-lineman big? Even tho McCarthy and Philbin have historically always run a zone blocking scheme?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They wasted MCGov.

he’s UFA after the season, I believe.

they could draft a LG and pay him the $$$ instead of MCGov, who is on his 4th year.

raven55

Reaction score
the bottom line is crappy coach gets crappy results bottom line. how many teams that have went to the super bowl in the last 26 years have had an all pro all along the offensive line not one. so what is it the player are the coaching you decide

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. If take a look at the top 20 C’s in the nfl you’d see Linderbaum’s size is on par with the majority

2. What exactly is the Cowboys mold? Travis Frederick type players only? Zack Martin was 308 with 32 7/8” arms and Connor Williams was under 300 pounds. But you’re saying the cowboys prefer their interior o-lineman big? Even tho McCarthy and Philbin have historically always run a zone blocking scheme?
that route.

I'm happy that I don't have to make decisions on which players to draft. It's a really difficult job. Linderbaum is a great example of why it's difficult.