CFZ Game Review: Cowboys OLine & TEs vs Bengals

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It’s a homer analysis. Farniok was terrible.

No offensive linemen was terrible against the Bengals. There weren't all perfect, either, but terrible is a huge exaggeration.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I reviewed 4 of the 5 starters (No need to review Zack Martin).

• Overall I thought Ferguson looked better than Schultz as a blocker.

I wonder if the story is, if you are TE drafted by Dallas as young guy block until you get your shot and then forget about it after that....(see schultz)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if the story is, if you are TE drafted by Dallas as young guy block until you get your shot and then forget about it after that....(see schultz)
Yes, I remember him as a better blocker early on; although, maybe that was just because he was good relative to Jarwin.
- Cole Beasley would have been a better blocker than Jarwin...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
like the write up but i Know this isn't popular but if Peters comes in at LG why not move Farniok to C? I do not want tyler moved, thats for sure. LT of the future, the future is NOW, good or bad like Aikman/Tyrone as rookies, let him learn from every game.

as much as i think TB is steady Eddie pretty solid if this is his ceiling , some are saying we gave up on Cwil not getting a shot at C given his MIA debut maybe was a mistake, so IF Farniok has a higher ceiling , lets find out now. TB can be swing G/C.
Good question.

I wouldn't make a change at OC unless it is clear and immediate upgrade.
- At this point I think Biadasz and Farniok are at a similar ability level.
- Biadasz with more experience but Farniok appears to be stronger.
- I agree that Farniok might have a higher upside than Biadasz.

I'm ok with Tyler at either LT or LG in 2022.
- Obviously it's good to get the LT experience but it's also good to get experience at LG because when he plays LT he must understand exactly what the LG needs from him when picking up and passing off stunting and blitzing pass rushers.

terra

Reaction score
Considering the jags we have had at LG, pretty much any improvement looks impressive.

Steele is OK but anyone thinking we should not be looking for an upgrade is a football idiot.

TB. I don't know. I am getting pessimistic that he will never be more than Adequate.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Considering the jags we have had at LG, pretty much any improvement looks impressive.

Steele is OK but anyone thinking we should not be looking for an upgrade is a football idiot.

TB. I don't know. I am getting pessimistic that he will never be more than Adequate.
however a 40-year-old 1yr rental progress stopper is not an upgrade, its an illusion for next season..good to allow Steele to continue playing there, 73 playing LT so I'm for Peters being the LG tonight.. good to know Farinok can play C or G. as the swing.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I think the jury is still out on Steele. He didn't have a good game against Tampa, but he bounced back with an excellent game against Cincy.

We likely have 15 more games to judge whether he can hold down that spot or we need to look for a new starter.

We'd also be better off from a draft standpoint if Biadasz and Farniok show they can handle center and left guard. The only replacements we've got for them (Peters and McGovern) will be free agents next year. Even though we had a few issues against the Bengals, that kind of blocking by the line in every game would be good enough that we wouldn't have to make OL an early-round priority next year.

Of course, I'm skeptical that the line will hold up as well as it did against Cincy, but we'll see how it goes. Having Peters as the nuclear option for the possibility of the left side failing is a good thing if we're going to be competitive this year. If we fall out of the picture, though, we need to let the young guys show how much of a priority OL should be.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

LOL.............you either doctored that post or I was drunk. Cooper is definitely not terrible.

Or maybe you only posted a small part of that post? Out of context?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL.............you either doctored that post or I was drunk. Cooper is definitely not terrible.

I think it was during or after the NYG game last season when he had 2 catches for 8 total yards and zero TDs despite playing over 90% of snaps.
- Maybe you over-indulged on the booze...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think it was during or after the NYG game last season when he had 2 catches for 8 total yards and zero TDs despite playing over 90% of snaps.
- Maybe you over-indulged on the booze...

My God!!! Had to go all the way back there? Kudos on the research. If I could do that kind of research there would be a lot of people in trouble on this site. LOL

Maybe you can PM me on how to do that. :thumbup:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
this is hilarious. Farniok gets a pass and you hammer Biadasz for his early mistakes.
One guy has had a ton of game experience. The other guy started his first ever game at OG. We generally expect more from a consensus starter than a 3rd string backup forced into his first ever action.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

Kind of like the post in the offseason where Jerry and Stephen were having a perfect offseason...having got rid of the deadbeats. And no, I am not going back to find it, but I know it's there if someone wanted to search.

CWR

Reaction score

Lol, thanks Xwalker.

I was drunk isn't an excuse.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
One guy has had a ton of game experience. The other guy started his first ever game at OG. We generally expect more from a consensus starter than a 3rd string backup forced into his first ever action.

Biadasz had started 4 games his rookie year before he began the season last year and he was getting hammered from the beginning.