News: Gannon: Callahan won’t be solely committed to run

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By Tom Orsborn : Friday, July 19, 2013

OXNARD, Calif. – With the Dallas Cowboys coming off the worst rushing season in franchise history, it would only stand to reason that the club’s new play caller would sharply increase the team’s commitment to the ground game.

Not so fast, a quarterback who once thrived under Bill Callahan said.

“Bill wants to establish the running game and have a tough, physical offensive identity,” said CBS and Sirius XM NFL Radio analyst Rich Gannon, who won the NFL most valuable player award for the 2002 season with the Callahan-coached Oakland Raiders.

“But you have to remember that with Bill as head coach in 2002, we led the NFL in passing, and that was after we led the NFL in rushing with him as offensive coordinator in 2000. So he has that in his background, the ability to shift gears and take advantage of the personnel.”

Read the rest: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/nfl/2013/07/gannon-callahan-wont-be-solely-committed-to-run/

visionary

Reaction score
thanx WG, good read
i just hope he is given the leeway to do what he wants to do

khiladi

Reaction score
Happy Garrett isn't calling the plays anymore... Can't be hard to improve on that....

Given Jones’ orders to maximize the talents of Tony Romo, Callahan likely will call for more quick throws to get the ball via intermediate routes to Dez Bryant and Miles Austin on the run.

Cal me excited...

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I dont know a ton about zone block schemes, but it seem like they dont go hand in hand with creating a "tough, physical offensive identity."

coult44

Reaction score
JG has the tightest leash around his neck that I have ever seen a HC have. The way it has been handled has not been good and unless the team completely go's off (which I think they can if they remain healthy), Red is a sitting duck. All the players seem to like him, but it's no secret how bad he's handled managing the game.. Some guys are meant to be coordinators. Look at our old HC for a perfect example. Wade has the defense in Houston playing lights out. It will be great for the Cowboys if JG is still here next year. What that will mean is that we had a great year in 2013, because anything less that that and i believe he will be looking for an OC job next year....

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
So play calling went from one guy who would give up on the run to another guy who gives up on the run. Great.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
The premise of the article is that Callahan will play to his team's strengths, and won't bang his head against the wall with something that won't work.

That is exactly what Garrett did last year. We could not run the ball against teams with good Dlines, so we passed.

For those expecting some drastic change in offense, it's not going to happen until we have the personnel on the offensive line.

Aven8

Reaction score
The premise of the article is that Callahan will play to his team's strengths, and won't bang his head against the wall with something that won't work.

That is exactly what Garrett did last year. We could not run the ball against teams with good Dlines, so we passed.

For those expecting some drastic change in offense, it's not going to happen until we have the personnel on the offensive line.

The whole premise of the change IMO is Garrett has no feel for the game, or how to call a game. The flow, if you will. He's always been horrible it. He also stubborn which is not a good thing when things don't go your way. I think, if healthy, this O is going to be tough to beat with Cally calling plays this year.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Dallas is 8-0 when Murray gets 20 carries?
That is a very telling stat.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
JG has the tightest leash around his neck that I have ever seen a HC have. The way it has been handled has not been good and unless the team completely go's off (which I think they can if they remain healthy), Red is a sitting duck. All the players seem to like him, but it's no secret how bad he's handled managing the game.. Some guys are meant to be coordinators. Look at our old HC for a perfect example. Wade has the defense in Houston playing lights out. It will be great for the Cowboys if JG is still here next year. What that will mean is that we had a great year in 2013, because anything less that that and i believe he will be looking for an OC job next year....

You ever seen Jim Zorn?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
By Tom Orsborn : Friday, July 19, 2013

OXNARD, Calif. – With the Dallas Cowboys coming off the worst rushing season in franchise history, it would only stand to reason that the club’s new play caller would sharply increase the team’s commitment to the ground game.

Not so fast, a quarterback who once thrived under Bill Callahan said.

“Bill wants to establish the running game and have a tough, physical offensive identity,” said CBS and Sirius XM NFL Radio analyst Rich Gannon, who won the NFL most valuable player award for the 2002 season with the Callahan-coached Oakland Raiders.

“But you have to remember that with Bill as head coach in 2002, we led the NFL in passing, and that was after we led the NFL in rushing with him as offensive coordinator in 2000. So he has that in his background, the ability to shift gears and take advantage of the personnel.”

Read the rest: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/nfl/2013/07/gannon-callahan-wont-be-solely-committed-to-run/

Let me git this straight:

The 'boys have an awful (or unproven) O line.
DeMarco Murray has been inconsistent and injured.
The 'Boys have two primo WRs and at least a primo TE. And a primo QB when he is not in a must-win game.

So Callahan wants to emphasize the run or at least go to it more often?

Lucy (Callahan) that is so ridiculous!

Ah-ah-ha! (ricky's laugh)

Hoofbite

Reaction score

Jason has called plays for the past 6 seasons, mostly producing average results even though he's had an above average QB. If the leash is tight at all it's because he's been tightening it himself.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Rich Gannon: Bill Callahan “an excellent communicator”
Posted by Mike Wilkening on July 19, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
callahan.jpg
AP
Cowboys offensive coordinator / offensive line coach Bill Callahan is the play-caller in Dallas this season, and it’s a move that’s drawn quite a bit of attention, considering head coach Jason Garrett previously had those responsibilities.

We may not have a good read on how Callahan’s play-calling differs from Garrett until Dallas gets into the regular season, but we know this much: if a club’s offensive coordinator and quarterback actively work to stay on the same page, it’s a good thing. And in a story published in the San Antonio Express-News Friday, former Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon indicated that Callahan will listen to the player directing the offense on the field.

“I remember in 2003 going into his office before a preseason game to share some concerns I had,” Gannon told Tom Orsborn of the Express-News. “Two weeks later, I told him, ‘I don’t think you heard a word I said.’ Well, he pulled out his notes and regurgitated verbatim what I had said. He is good about offering feedback and wants interaction with his quarterbacks.”

Continue reading: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/19/rich-gannon-bill-callahan-an-excellent-communicator/

khiladi

Reaction score
Jason has called plays for the past 6 seasons, mostly producing average results even though he's had an above average QB. If the leash is tight at all it's because he's been tightening it himself.

This right here... Jerry Jones was hoping noting other than JG being next boy wonder because it would make him look like a genius. He's been getting what he's wanted since he' been here, this year being the only realy year where he got what he deserved. Hamstrung was the last thing JG was.

coult44

Reaction score

We all know that's not the case. It wasn't Reds decision to allow Calahan to call the plays. Just like Ryan was gone after a couple of years, Red would have been to if he wouldn't have been JJ's project. As I said before, I believe we are going to surprise a lot of people this year and have a good year. JG will be here next year because of that. But we can't fool ourselves and say he is not on the hottest seat in all of the NFL. That's not because he's tightening anything himself.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
The whole premise of the change IMO is Garrett has no feel for the game, or how to call a game. The flow, if you will. He's always been horrible it. He also stubborn which is not a good thing when things don't go your way. I think, if healthy, this O is going to be tough to beat with Cally calling plays this year.

I disagree. I don't think he's near as bad as people make him out to be. Could be be better? Absolutely, especially for it being his 5th season as a play caller last year. But the amount that we were handicapped up front last year cannot be denied. And that had a direct reflection in play calling.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
This offense goes as the Offensive Line goes.