Gareon Conley Accused of Rape

Plankton

Reaction score
Exactly.

And not even with family members if you attend Appalachian State.

giphy.gif

AzorAhai

Reaction score
These things are so tough. If he's guilty and it comes out, he deserves whatever is coming to him. And then some, probably.

But if he's the victim here, there's a special spot in hell for people who make false accusations like this. Considering how hard players have to work to put themselves in the position Conley put himself in, and the time-sensitive nature of the draft, and the amount of financial damage that could be done to him here, the thought of an opportunist taking that all away with a lie would make my blood boil if I knew I were innocent.
I watched a movie or TV show years back where the guy was a professional athlete. He had women sign a waiver prepared by a lawyer to film all sexual interactions that were about to take place and giving consent for intercourse for the sole purpose of protecting himself. I've long thought that is really the only safe way if these athletes are going to do these things with the huge settlements being handed out at any accusation thrown around, even if it's untrue.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watched a movie or TV show years back where the guy was a professional athlete. He had women sign a waiver prepared by a lawyer to film all sexual interactions that were about to take place and giving consent for intercourse for the sole purpose of protecting himself. I've long thought that is really the only safe way if these athletes are going to do these things with the huge settlements being handed out at any accusation thrown around, even if it's untrue.

It's a tough thing. Victims and victimizers on both sides, and the victimizers some of the most despicable types I can think of. You're torn, because you have huge sympathy for somebody and huge despite for the other somebody, and you often don't know which is which.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Erik Williams filmed the chic that assured him of rape back in the day. He filmed it because he wanted proof it was consensual.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Erik Williams filmed the chic that assured him of rape back in the day. He filmed it because he wanted proof it was consensual.
Never heard that story. I'm assuming it kept him out of trouble?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The case was thrown out I think in large part due to the tape.

The police pressed charges on the woman (stripper Nina Shahravan) and the reporter (Marty Griffin) that "broke" the news was fired and his station had to pay big money in a lawsuit.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...vin-and-williams-nina-shahravan-erik-williams

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/1997/march/media-did-marty-griffin-get-conned/

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/hes-baaaack-6400585

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I'm an NFL franchise, I'm slipping bodycam language into my NFL contracts. Clip them to the back of your hat or to your AFO or whatever and just roll all the time.

AzorAhai

Reaction score

The police pressed charges on the woman (stripper Nina Shahravan) and the reporter (Marty Griffin) that "broke" the news was fired and his station had to pay big money in a lawsuit.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...vin-and-williams-nina-shahravan-erik-williams

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/1997/march/media-did-marty-griffin-get-conned/

Man there's some juicy stuff in that second link.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I'm an NFL franchise, I'm slipping bodycam language into my NFL contracts. Clip them to the back of your hat or to your AFO or whatever and just roll all the time.

It seems like the NFL should look for a rule to help with these issues where players are accused of something within a week or two of the draft or even with a month.

Players like La'el Collins get totally screwed over just because teams didn't have time to investigate. Any knucklehead (or stripper) can screw up a players draft-ability just by making a false allegation. La'el came out OK because he was a top talent in the draft, but if this happens to some mid-tier guy, his whole chance at an NFL career could be derailed.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It seems like the NFL should look for a rule to help with these issues where players are accused of something within a week or two of the draft or even with a month.

Players like La'el Collins get totally screwed over just because teams didn't have time to investigate. Any knucklehead (or stripper) can screw up a players draft-ability just by making a false allegation. La'el came out OK because he was a top talent in the draft, but if this happens to some mid-tier guy, his whole chance at an NFL career could be derailed.

I was joking about the teams and the body cams, but if I'm an agent, I'm handing one out to my players the month before the draft. Even an audio pen recorder probably saves a ton of grief.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

None of those links talk about Williams making a tape. They talk about Griffin making hidden video tapes in the Michael Irvin cocaine scandal. Nothing on Williams making a tape.

What they say is that testing the pool table alleged to be the scene of the crime came up negative, that the players in question passed a drug test the next day, and that the woman in question recanted her story. Thus the case was dropped.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More info if you're interested.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/payback-time-6402644

The station's lawyers set about trying to prove that Michael Irvin was indeed present during the attack--a theory they felt was not contradicted by the videotape of the "rape" that police confiscated from Williams' home.

The tape of Shahravan shows her having sex with two men, one identifiable as Williams, according to sources who have seen the video. It also includes the sound of more than one male voice. "We listened to that tape over and over," says one of Channel 5's lawyers, speaking on condition of anonymity. "Initially we heard three male voices. And the third voice sounded like it could be Michael Irvin's."

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
Honestly this is a no win situation for Conley. His draft stock has already take a huge hit. If he is there in the 6-7th round why not draft him.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
4 (133) Ishmael Zamora WR Baylor

Might as well get some dog beating action in as well.

Should be interesting how the damage control comes from his representation.

Collins' agent basically came out and told teams that if they passed on him in the first to not bother because he would not sign with them.

That gives him the freedom to get a better guaranteed money deal if he clears the draft.

Then steak dinners at Jerry Jones' house seem to work pretty well.
Is it bad that I am kind if hoping for that now? No better salesman than Jerry, and there is an obvious need here that can be sold. I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry is already putting the full court press on the agent if it is believed he will go undrafted.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
What is the deadline for a player to sign before he has to sit out the whole year? Because I remember them saying Bosa had a deadline to sign. If he was possibly hanging around on day 3, they could theoretically draft him and not sign him until that deadline if the investigation is still ongoing or sign him when it's concluded. If he gets charged or more evidence comes to light, they could just not sign him and not have to take the full PR hit.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it bad that I am kind if hoping for that now? No better salesman than Jerry, and there is an obvious need here that can be sold. I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry is already putting the full court press on the agent if it is believed he will go undrafted.

If the guy's innocent and goes undrafted, Dallas is a great fit for him. Good team, position of need, good cap situation by the time it matters. Chance to compete for a Superbowl, best opportunity in the league to be in the national spotlight. Big stadium, amazing team complex, good team camaraderie and a chance to learn under the reigning NFL CotY (lol!). What else? No state taxes? Helicopter rides? And you can just point to Collins and ask him if he's still happy with his decision.

Dallas has to be one of the top 2-3 choices for a guy in that position.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
If the guy's innocent and goes undrafted, Dallas is a great fit for him. Good team, position of need, good cap situation by the time it matters. Chance to compete for a Superbowl, best opportunity in the league to be in the national spotlight. Big stadium, amazing team complex, good team camaraderie and a chance to learn under the reigning NFL CotY (lol!). What else? No state taxes? Helicopter rides? And you can just point to Collins and ask him if he's still happy with his decision.

Dallas has to be one of the top 2-3 choices for a guy in that position.
Thanks. I forgot to add the caveat that he was not guilty. You better believe the agent has already scouted and communicated all those great things about Dallas (and other teams) to Conley, in the event he doesn't get drafted.