Gareon Conley Accused of Rape

jday

Reaction score
I hope and pray that someday people will stop using this god awful analysis to judge defensive backs.

I have little doubt you didn't want Jalen Ramsey because he didn't have enough interceptions in college and all he did was have a great rookie season at CB showing he can definitely play.
That's an interesting approach to the debate. I didn't want Ramsey because in terms of immediate impact, Elliott was the clear choice and I still believe that. The 1 interception is not what I am immediately focused on, but is certainly a factor. In today's NFL, the in-the-box safety is slowly being replaced by Corners with good size who can cover. Look at the scouting reports; they all have a similar refrain: struggles in coverage. Add to that now that he is slightly undersized for strong safety and could be another Randall Gregory waiting to happen and I don't think you can logically keep him slotted for the first round. At 60, it would depend on who is available, but I doubt the decision to go with him there would be unanimous.

jjktkk

Reaction score
I hope and pray that someday people will stop using this god awful analysis to judge defensive backs.

I have little doubt you didn't want Jalen Ramsey because he didn't have enough interceptions in college and all he did was have a great rookie season at CB showing he can definitely play.

Dallas just got rid of three of their former secondary guys. One reason was a lack of interceptions. Why would Dallas want to use their 1st pick on a guy like Peppers, who has only one career interceptions in college?

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
C-XBD4-XcAEWtCu.jpg:large

Sydla

Reaction score
That's an interesting approach to the debate. I didn't want Ramsey because in terms of immediate impact, Elliott was the clear choice and I still believe that. The 1 interception is not what I am immediately focused on, but is certainly a factor. In today's NFL, the in-the-box safety is slowly being replaced by Corners with good size who can cover. Look at the scouting reports; they all have a similar refrain: struggles in coverage. Add to that now that he is slightly undersized for strong safety and could be another Randall Gregory waiting to happen and I don't think you can logically keep him slotted for the first round. At 60, it would depend on who is available, but I doubt the decision to go with him there would be unanimous.

Yes but you probably also argued you can't use the 4th pick on a CB that doesn't have enough interceptions in college to show he can be a good NFL CB. It's a silly way to judge a defensive back.

And Peppers can be more than just an in the box safety IMO. You underrated his skill set.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dallas just got rid of three of their former secondary guys. One reason was a lack of interceptions. Why would Dallas want to use their 1st pick on a guy like Peppers, who has only one career interceptions in college?

I missed it where because Peppers only had one interception in college it means he won't get interceptions in the pros?

Or maybe what you missed is that one reason his interceptions total might be down is because he actually played LB and was asked to do a lot of things besides cover receivers at UM?

jday

Reaction score
Yes but you probably also argued you can't use the 4th pick on a CB that doesn't have enough interceptions in college to show he can be a good NFL CB. It's a silly way to judge a defensive back.

And Peppers can be more than just an in the box safety IMO. You underrated his skill set.

That debate is too far in the rearview for me to recall exactly how I argued for selecting Ezekiel over Jalen...all I remember is that everything I said would happen did happen. Ezekiel was an absolute beast for the Cowboys in 2016 and was a significant reason why Dak was so successful in his rookie year. .

That said, I agree with you to an extent that looking at interceptions and interceptions alone is a poor way to grade a player...especially for a player whose stats suffered as a result of what he was asked to do. I completely understand that Jabrill may be better than what his tape suggest. 28 for me is still too high to take that kind of chance.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

These things are so tough. If he's guilty and it comes out, he deserves whatever is coming to him. And then some, probably.

But if he's the victim here, there's a special spot in hell for people who make false accusations like this. Considering how hard players have to work to put themselves in the position Conley put himself in, and the time-sensitive nature of the draft, and the amount of financial damage that could be done to him here, the thought of an opportunist taking that all away with a lie would make my blood boil if I knew I were innocent.

Plankton

Reaction score
These things are so tough. If he's guilty and it comes out, he deserves whatever is coming to him. And then some, probably.

But if he's the victim here, there's a special spot in hell for people who make false accusations like this. Considering how hard players have to work to put themselves in the position Conley put himself in, and the time-sensitive nature of the draft, and the amount of financial damage that could be done to him here, the thought of an opportunist taking that all away with a lie would make my blood boil if I knew I were innocent.

Agreed. It's a horrible situation no matter which way it turns out.

These days, if you are a draft prospect, you're better off only working out, interviewing/working out with teams, and perhaps doing charity work. Anything else? Only with family members.

Sydla

Reaction score
That debate is too far in the rearview for me to recall exactly how I argued for selecting Ezekiel over Jalen...all I remember is that everything I said would happen did happen. Ezekiel was an absolute beast for the Cowboys in 2016 and was a significant reason why Dak was so successful in his rookie year. .

That said, I agree with you to an extent that looking at interceptions and interceptions alone is a poor way to grade a player...especially for a player whose stats suffered as a result of what he was asked to do. I completely understand that Jabrill may be better than what his tape suggest. 28 for me is still too high to take that kind of chance.

And Ramsey went on to be the best rookie CB and one of the better CBs in football as a rookie despite having really low interception totals in college.

Which is why I don't buy into this notion that because Peppers had one interception in college, he can't be a good safety.

Gaede

Reaction score
I was just thinking: you know if these guys were into this kind of nasty sex party that they would have invariably taped it as well

jday

Reaction score
Did u watch the video? He showed Peppers didn't struggle in coverage.
Okay, I watched the video. I had read/watched reports earlier that suggest his tape suffered in 2016 as a result of what he was asked to do, so that wasn't a surprise. But what this video did was define specifically where he struggles in coverage. In man-coverage, he is good; he struggles in zone. That, believe it or not, for the Cowboys is a much bigger issue. Marinelli's defense is zone-based; meaning that the majority of what they do requires zone coverage on the back end; and this becomes especially important when they blitz. Again, I still believe he could be an improvement over Church; his athleticism alone all but guarantees it. But even Church was a liability in coverage and I believe that is a part of the reason the Cowboys let him walk.

According to the video, Peppers job in their defense was to set the edge; prevent offenses from capturing the edge, forcing the running back into the teeth of their defense. And it worked very well. My question is how does Peppers perform when he asked to do that and a whole lot more. In Marinelli's defense, there will be times when he asked to do just that; set the edge. But, more often than not, what he is asked to do will depend on the offenses alignment. From one play to the next, he will be asked to do something different. One minute he will carry the RB out of the back field, the next he will slide back into zone to prevent the quick pass, the next he will have to react to a different rule of engagement. Personally, as Safeties go, I'd prefer Obi Melinfonwu; ideally following a small trade down from 28 into the top of the second, to pick up extra picks. As of right now, Jabrill may be the better all-around football player, but Obi is the safer pick all things considered. And in 3 years, paired with Byron Jones, the Cowboys may have one of the best Safety tandems in the NFL. And this all assumes that none of the top-tier corners, defensive ends, or offensive lineman fall to them at 28...because if they do, I don't believe either Jabrill or Obi will even be in the warroom conversation.

jday

Reaction score
And Ramsey went on to be the best rookie CB and one of the better CBs in football as a rookie despite having really low interception totals in college.

Which is why I don't buy into this notion that because Peppers had one interception in college, he can't be a good safety.

Well, I certainly haven't made that argument. Sure, I brought it up, because it merits pointing out. But that certainly isn't the lynch pin of my argument. As I told the other pro-Peppers-zoner, I do believe Peppers would be an improvement over Church, which is what you want at the end of the day...find a guy better than the guy you are replacing. Peppers very well could be that guy. The other zoner sent me a video with the hope of changing my mind about Peppers. I watched it. All the video did was reinforce what I initially believed; only now I have specifics to point to. According to the video, to say Peppers struggles in coverage is too broad a stroke. Where he actually struggles, specifically, is zone. In man-coverage, he is actually really good, which is not surprising considering is athleticism, which allows him to run with anybody. But if you know Marinelli's defense, you also know that his scheme is very dependent on zone. If that's where Jabrill struggles, that will be a serious issue for the Cowboys to account for.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. It's a horrible situation no matter which way it turns out.

These days, if you are a draft prospect, you're better off only working out, interviewing/working out with teams, and perhaps doing charity work. Anything else? Only with family members.

Exactly.

And not even with family members if you attend Appalachian State.

ksg811

Reaction score
I think this is looking more and more like a scam on the "victim"'s part. Per the release from his agent, he claims there is a video that would prove his innocence. If there is indeed a video, it would be unwise on his part to make that known publicly.

Question now is has he done enough to get back into the 1st?

DFWJC

Reaction score
His statement:

The allegations against me concerning the night of April 8/9 that have recently been reported in multiple media outlets are completely false. I did not commit a crime and have not been charged with a crime.

I pride myself on doing things the right way on and off the field. The things being said about me and what happened that night are not true and don't fit my character at all. I realize that I put myself in the situation and I could have used better judgement. However, I have worked tirelessly to put myself in position to have the honor of being an NFL draft pick and these untrue allegations are putting a huge cloud over my name and the NFL draft.

These allegations appear to be an attempt to ruin this once in a lifetime experience for me and my family. There were several witnesses, including another female, who were present the entire time and have given statements that give an accurate account of what took place. We also have video evidence that further discredit and disprove other versions of these events. I am upset but realize that I am powerless when false accusations are made and people try to convict you in the court of public opinion. It's sad that your name can get dragged through the mud based upon untrue and malicious allegations alone.

I am completely confident that as the facts actually come out my name will be cleared. I was excited about participating in Thursday's draft but I have decided that it would be selfish for me to stay and be a distraction to the NFL, the other players, and their families who have worked just as hard as me to enjoy the experience so I will not be in attendance.

I hope and look forward to the honor of being an NFL player and working to be the best representative, player, person, and teammate that I can be for the team and the community I will be in.

Gaede

Reaction score
I think this is looking more and more like a scam on the "victim"'s part. Per the release from his agent, he claims there is a video that would prove his innocence. If there is indeed a video, it would be unwise on his part to make that known publicly.

Question now is has he done enough to get back into the 1st?

It would be unwise, yeah. However, considering the situation, I question his wisdom in general

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

When the INTs numbers are extremely low it is something to be concerned about.

With Peppers there are obvious reasons that his INT chances were low.

NFL teams can dig in and look at actual opportunities which we can't really do with available stat.

With great CBS, offenses might have avoided them. We as fans could look at the ratio of passes defended to INTs which would be better than It's only.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Say this team goes pass rush in round 1:

Would you draft Conley or not?

And if so, when?