Garrett’s reaction to the Kellen Moore hype

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hopefully Moore will upgrade Garrett by shoring up areas Garrett will never be good at: Creativity in situational moments during a game and the ability to quickly read what is needed during a game. If Moore can provide that he will compliment Garrett’s ability to get a team to play hard. Garrett needs a creative “Robin” if he’s going to continue being Batman.
I’m looking forward to seeing this College type Spread Offense I’ve heard rumors about. Should be a huge success in NFL.
All Dak has needed is better play calling. Right..
I wonder who the next scapegoat will be.

Dre11

Reaction score
Wow... what an outlandish take on Bobs thread. If you’d followed Bob all of these years you’d know he has been a critic of Garrett. You poorly read into Bobs intention here IMO regardless the intention of the article. Bob was simply providing his take on it.

Again negative is negative. As you said a critic of Garrett and what do you know a negative Garrett article.

Dre11

Reaction score
Really, then why didn't they just keep Linehan! Then why hire smart coaches they're not needed right? The reason the Cowboys didn't advance and won as much as they did was because the talent took them as far as it could with an incompetent coach. At the second round level of the playoffs coaching became evident.

They're bring in a new voice, don't get it twisted, they don't know that anything will be different. I like the way the goalposts get moved at first it was they couldn't make the playoffs, then it turned into winning a game, now it's the second round coaching. Everybody it's putting this on Moore, but that ain't it. What's going to get this team in this year, will be the infusion of speed at the rb positions, infusion of speed at the wr position along with Cooper and an improved Gallup, the return of the oline with Frederick an improved Williams, a deep dL with a stud and very good DE, 3 stud LBs, and a good secondary. That's what's going to make the difference

Dre11

Reaction score
Once again, your people analysis skills are terrible, bottom of the barrel. Seeing something as a negative does not make one a negative person.

I didn't say he was a negative person as in his personality, I 'm talking about when it pertains to the Cowboys. I have no idea about his personal life, nor do you.

renny

Reaction score
Really, didn't why didn't they just keep Linehan! Then why hire smart coaches they're not needed right?
They're bring in a new voice, don't get it twisted, they don't know that anything will be different. I like the way the goalposts get moved at first it was they couldn't make the playoffs, then it turned into winning a game, now it's the second round coaching. Everybody it's putting this on Moore, but that ain't it. What's going to get this team in this year, will be the infusion of speed at the rb positions, infusion of speed at the wr position along with Cooper and an improved Gallup, the return of the oline with Frederick an improved Williams, a deep dL with a stud and very good DE, 3 stud LBs, and a good secondary. That's what's going to make the difference
You just contradicted yourself you said every team knows every teams scheme. If that's the case you don't need a new voice to say the same things. Their was speed on this team last year (Austin, Gallop, Cooper, Elliot), my point is if the opposing team knows what you are doing speed won't help.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
In a very interesting article yesterday by Kevin Sherrington, (of that Dallas newspaper we cannot mention) Jason Garrett is going out of his way this week to ensure that Kellen Moore is NOT perceived as getting too much credit for the “new” offense or that Moore is in total control of the Cowboys offense in 2019.

According to Sherrington, Garrett has more than once this week been careful to say publicly he is (quoting Sherrington) “less interested in a Sean McVay starter kit than in implying the new guy hasn't reinvented anything.”

In his press conference Thursday, when describing the changes being made to the offense this year, Garrett on 3 occasions said, “this work is collaborative.” Some other interesting Garrett quotes from that press conference : "He's (Moore) been with us a few years and he has a good feel for how we want to do things"; "He's not doing it by himself"; and "he’s Injecting some new ideas and finding some old ideas” ... “making it collaborative” ... “to go with what this offense is going to be all about,” and “We’re not recreating our base offense”.

Does this sound like a guy who has turned the keys to the offense over to Kellen Moore?

Whatever Garrett thinks about “his offense”, it was crystal clear last year that something new was needed. Even with the much needed improvement at mid-season from the Amari Cooper trade, the Cowboys finished 22nd in scoring last year. That was the lowest of any other team that made the playoffs. Since 2016, when the Cowboys offense bludgeoned its opponents, the offense has been the most predictable and easy to prepare for in the NFL (Just ask the rams) It’s pretty obvious changes are needed.

So this raises some key questions:
1. Is this Garrett’s message to Kellen Moore or to fans and the media?
2. Why is Garrett so intent on saying publicly that this is still “his offense”?
3. Is Garrett feeling threatened by the presence of Kellen Moore and if so, why?

So far this offseason, the biggest question going into the 2019 season seems to be centered on how much change and new ideas Garrett will allow young Kellen Moore to inject. And...is Garrett feeling threatened?
Screw Garrett. Hello Mr. Richard.

Dre11

Reaction score
You just contradicted yourself you said every team knows every teams scheme. If that's the case you don't need a new voice to say the same things. Their was speed on this team last year (Austin, Gallop, Cooper, Elliot), my point is if the opposing team knows what you are doing speed won't help.

That's no contradiction, the new voice is for the players, as you've heard the plays won't change. Players wanted to be listened to. Linehan was listening. They had very little speed, and proof is in the pudding Austin was hurt for 90% of the year and never healthy all year. The proof was Cooper coming in , now you look at this year, Cobb, Austin,Pollard,this kid Johnson at wr. When talking speed Elliott isn't a speed guy, neither is Gallup or Cooper. They're all are just above average in speed except Austin.

kskboys

Reaction score
Good point about needing young minds who can work under the Jerry umbrella. Maybe Moore is one of those bright young minds.

But remember how Elite talent at WR uplifted us last year. It wasn’t the play calling or adjustments.

We’ve been a talent driven franchise for a very long time now. I hope your right about Moore. But I expect things to be more of the same with same talent.
I think it was both, but I think it was more the playcalling.

kskboys

Reaction score
First, this is the NFL, if a kicker can be iced, they won't be in the NFL very long
Second, we are talking about Dan Bailey - he couldn't be iced
Third, when the ST coach is yelling for a time out because they aren't ready, the HC calls a TO, it's the only logical thing to do
Finally, it's the kicker's job to make kicks, regardless of the situation. The kicker in this instance, failed to do his job.

So no, he didn't "ice" his kicker. The funny thing about all this nonsense with regards to "icing" his kicker, there were mistakes made on that drive that had a lot more to do with the outcome of that drive than the "icing" situation. But yet, people get caught up in this crap and ignore the other, more serious mistakes that were made leading up to that kick. So I don't hold Garrett blameless for that loss, not at all, but it is stupid to think he iced his own kicker and that is what caused the loss.
The "iced his own kicker" idea is one of the dummbest things every spewed about the NFL. When people repeat it, I often wonder if they're also the type who would fall for a cult.

Fire407

Reaction score
The "iced his own kicker" idea is one of the dummbest things every spewed about the NFL. When people repeat it, I often wonder if they're also the type who would fall for a cult.
He definitely iced his own kicker. Of course the kicks could have reversed and the first one miss and the second one go through, or even both go through. But other teams do exactly what he did when they want to "ice" a kicker and make him think, and sometimes it works. That play is the very definition of what "icing" a kicker is.

Number1

Reaction score
When talking speed Elliott isn't a speed guy, neither is Gallup or Cooper.

the Boys didn't just go get faster - like Beasley vs Cobb or Smith vs Pollard

the went out and got serious deep WRs in Cooper - Gallup - Austin - Johnson - Guyton - Davis

they plan to go deep

actually, in terms of "deep speed" this is an awesome set of WRs
* any thing under 1.85 is considered blazing fast *
Cooper at 1.80 and Gallup 1.82 are in the 90th percentile.
if pro day numbers can be trusted, so are Johnson 1.82, Guyton 1.82.
But I have trouble believing Davis really ran 1.74 at his pro day

Austin is one of the few ever under 1.80 at the combine. His 1.78 puts him in the 99th percentile.

BTW, Anthony Brown 1.78 has that kinda speed as well. Mike Jackson comes in at 1.81

Note, Pollard comes in at 1.86 and Cedrick Wilson 1.85 about he same as Dez or Twill.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It’s redonkulous. It’s an acid test for whether or not a fan is capable of a rational discussion as far as I’m concerned.

kskboys

Reaction score
He definitely iced his own kicker. Of course the kicks could have reversed and the first one miss and the second one go through, or even both go through. But other teams do exactly what he did when they want to "ice" a kicker and make him think, and sometimes it works. That play is the very definition of what "icing" a kicker is.
Don't cut your feet off yet, the aliens aren't that close.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hope. Read the definition!!!!!!!

Getting rid of Linny was the deal changer for me. Trying out a bright young mind is fine. Don't forget, the Rams caught flak when they hired McVey as HC. It's possible we've found our McVey.

Basically, to have any success, we must find bright people who are willing to work under the Jerry umbrella. That is not easy to accomplish. So, because of that, going w/ youngsters w/ potential is prolly the only way for it to happen.

Until now, our coaching staff mostly couldn't find a grizzly bear in an open field of snow. Things right in front of their faces they didn't even notice. My hope is that Moore is the good football mind he is advertised as, and maybe now we'll start to see some of the blatantly obvious things corrected, at least on O.

Don't forget, the playcalling was horrific and we were 3-5. We finally started calling the game differently when the coaching staff's bums were on the line. It is my hope that it won't take desperation to get better playcalling in here. And I've always thought that JG does have SOME good ideas about playcalling, but simply had no clue how to put them together. I believe Moore COULD BE the guy who can do just that, who can take JG philosophies and work w/ them to form a ball moving O, w/ much better routes being drawn up.

Moore is a young talented dude w/ a great football mind. Can that mind equate to running an NFL O w/ consistency? Well, I think it can. And my hope is based on this, yes.

Logic alone dictates that Moore will most likely be an upgrade over Linny.

Please stop with the "Jason Garrett does have SOME good ideas". That's like saying that Jeff Heath has made SOME plays.

What JG philosophies? JG has ZERO of is own philosophies. And whatever they were are outdated.

This is my final attempt. I cannot hold back any longer if you continue along this hopeless path.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It’s redonkulous. It’s an acid test for whether or not a fan is capable of a rational discussion as far as I’m concerned.

And if someone wants a rational discussion about Garrett, they should just talk to you right?

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And if someone wants a rational discussion about Garrett, they should just talk to you right?

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

You wouldn’t exactly be in any position to know the answer to that now, would you?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You wouldn’t exactly be in any position to know the answer to that now, would you?

On no, I hate Garrett. I can admit it.

You are the other hand don't have the heart.

Your latest claim is the best of all.

"Garrett is the victim. He has been saddled with a lack of talent. He is a championship head coach in waiting if he only had the players" "He is being held back by the Cowboys" LOL

Your new mantra is "Garrett is good enough to win a championship"

So if at some point in the 10-15 year tenure of Garrett the Cowboys finally win a championship and overcome Garretts ineptitude, you leave it open to say that you were right. Pathetic.

Can you even say that Garrett is a "good coach"?