Garrett = Campo

Staubacher

Reaction score
I see coaches with better records and playoff appearances in a shorter term than Garrett are getting the boot (Kelly, Pagano). No excuses made by the ownership in those places, they actually care about their fans hopes and expectations.

Heck even Tomsula who got canned did better than Garrett at 5-11 and he had no experience and a garbage roster and QB situation.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm still waiting for Garrett supporters to EXPLAIN exactly why they support him and his record thus far. What is it that he brings to the table that you are so enthralled with to make you want him back and in charge?

I do not to hear "well who,else are you going to get" I am interested only in what Garrett has done thus far that makes you support him. What is it about his abilities that has you believing in him. What part of coaching, top to bottom, is it that has you defending him?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Dave Campo gets a bad rap IMO, he wasn't a great coach but he didn't have a lot to work with as a roster, an aging team, one third of the cap was dead money of players no longer on the roster. Pretty hard to win with the model Jerry gave him...

yeah give campo Romo and the OL and murray and he would have been in the playoffs, as their defense was fairly good.

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for Garrett supporters to EXPLAIN exactly why they support him and his record thus far. What is it that he brings to the table that you are so enthralled with to make you want him back and in charge?

I do not to hear "well who,else are you going to get" I am interested only in what Garrett has done thus far that makes you support him. What is it about his abilities that has you believing in him. What part of coaching, top to bottom, is it that has you defending him?

Generally offenses, or what Jason calls "our system", become more complex, adaptive and efficient over time. Jason would talk about "installing more plays" but instead quite honestly it looks like the complexities of 2007, 2009, and 2014 were aberrations and the offense tends to always regress to very basic plays no matter the talent, time of game or the season on the line. I really think that despite having 3 different defensive coordinators and defensive play books since Jason has been here, he refuses to change his system (the closest and most threatening change was the running plays designed and called by Callahan [verified as such by Linehan last summer]). However, Jason kind of comes by this rigidity honestly because Norv Turner and Bob Bratkowski fell into the same rut. No adjustment. No change.

See if parts of this article sound familiar?

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/201...rgers-offensive-makeover-from-turner-to-mccoy
"How McCoy Changes The Offense (Denver Years)
Norv was stubborn. Yes, he shifted the focus from an LT driven offense to one that featured Rivers, but the core concepts of his offensive philosophy never changed. Never mind that the roster didn’t have the personnel to run the Air Coryell offense that Turner wanted to run; Norv wanted to run the offense regardless of his team. That’s the basic reason why Norv Turner failed as the offensive coordinator/head coach of the Chargers. He refused to change.
Mike McCoy is the polar opposite of Norv. He doesn’t have a set offense that he wants to run every year, but actually molds the offense around the personnel that he possesses."

Dom Capers said it best after the game where Wade was fired: "they just kept doing the same thing that we saw on game film so we kept blitzing the same way". 4 sacks 2 Defensive tds, 2 fumbles, 2 interceptions and 27 points for Green Bay off turnovers. Yup. The problem was that Garrett's 7 points on offense should have been enough to win. Yup

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not even Campo ever went 4-12 as a head coach and his QB situation was worse during his entire tenure than what Garrett went through this season. Campo never had a franchise QB his QBs were some of the worse to ever start for this franchise.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not even Campo ever went 4-12 as a head coach and his QB situation was worse during his entire tenure than what Garrett went through this season. Campo never had a franchise QB his QBs were some of the worse to ever start for this franchise.

Not to mention the best, or one of the best, OL's in the league. Too much talent on this team to finish 4-12 regardless of the injuries. IMO...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too much talent on this team to finish 4-12 regardless of the injuries. IMO...
I'll bet everyone associated with the team from Jerry down feels the same way.

Obviously they were playing for a higher draft pick all year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

I don't believe that for one second or Dez wouldn't have been rushed back and Romo probably wouldn't have returned when he did because his collarbone still wasn't fully healed or it wouldn't have re broke so easily. Any team playing for a higher draft pick "all year" has a loser mentality and will be spending a lot of time picking in the top 10. A high draft pick doesn't guarantee a good player and Mo Claiborne is all the proof we need of that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'll bet everyone associated with the team from Jerry down feels the same way.

This may have all been incredible foresight that they had after they saw Carson Wentz play.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that was the case they never would have brought Romo and Dez back.
I don't believe that for one second or Dez wouldn't have been rushed back and Romo probably wouldn't have returned when he did because his collarbone still wasn't fully healed or it wouldn't have re broke so easily. Any team playing for a higher draft pick "all year" has a loser mentality and will be spending a lot of time picking in the top 10. A high draft pick doesn't guarantee a good player and Mo Claiborne is all the proof we need of that.
This may have all been incredible foresight that they had after they saw Carson Wentz play.
Guess I forgot the :rolleyes:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Bingo! Garrett is Campo-lite. If Campo had this team he'd have won 8-9 games. Cassel and Weeden are like Unitis and Namath compared to what he had to work with.

At least Campo won five games in a season with the crap he had at QB in 2001, Garrett won one game without Romo since the interim tag was removed from him.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Both get their teams ready to play.

Teams played hard for both.

Both don't add much X and O benefit to the club.

Both are not any good at in game adjustments.

Both are very conservative.

Both don't challenge Jerry's authority.

Both will end up having a 5 and 11 won/lost record on their coaching resumes :eek:

If not for Romo, I doubt Garrett would have had all those 8 and 8 seasons.

Look at this seasons disaster as proof.

Anyone else see any similarities ?

Garrett's is 4-12

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Guess I forgot the :rolleyes:

You forgot something if that comment was sarcasm. If you were being serious that comment was borderline ludicrous. No team is going to bail on a season and begin playing for a high draft pick after starting 2-0 because they're QB will be down for 7 games. All the Cowboys had to do was stay afloat until Romo returned avoiding the worse case scenario of losing out which they couldn't avoid because they're being coached by a guy who has no business being an NFL head coach.

Romo wasn't done for the season and every move the team made after he went down from trading for CMike and Cassel to benching Weeden and releasing him to bringing in Turbin to bringing back Dez and Romo before they were 100% was to try and save the season. If they were playing for a high draft pick all season they wouldn't have wasted a couple of 7th round picks and stuck with Weeden hoping it might lead to the #1 overall pick. lol I saw no sign of playing for a high draft pick until the team was officially eliminated from the playoffs and Kellen Moore took over.