Garrett = Campo

LittleD

Reaction score
He was here one year under Norv, before Norv left. He was the third-straight by QB as well. It's most likely a myth Garrett picked anything, if but a little, from Norv.

He spent most of his time under Zampese and Gailey and the like, when Dallas offensive play-calling started to deteriorate.

Norv's offense was built on play-action and multiple combinations from the same formation.

You make a good point and are probably right about Zampese. When I look at the current Dallas offense I see very little innovation
in the last 10 years. The WR's run the same routes on the same downs and the defense already knows what's coming. In my opinion,
I blame the coaches and mostly Garrett for this season. Any decent coaching staff should have been able to put together a few wins
without Romo in the house. Garrett has been riding on Romo's coattails for far too long.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
How many people would be excusing Campo right now if Romo would have gone down.

Campos QBs
Aikman played 11 games goes 4-8 (retired). Goes out game #1 vs Philly as did Galloway.
Randall Cunningham starts the next 2 and goes 1-1
A Wright plays the final 2 games and posts a 0-2 record and ends with a Blutarski Zero Point Zero rating
Clint Stoerner also saw action

Carter game #1
Wright game #2
Wright / Stoerner Game #3
Wright / Carter game #4
Wright game #5
Stoerner Game #6
Stoerner / Leaf #7
Leaf #8, 9,10
Carter #11 - 16

Carter starts first 7 and goes 3-4
Hutchinson starts next 9 going 2-7

7 QBs in 3 years. They were miserable years, but I cant believe that record wouldnt have been 500 with Romo.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
He was here one year under Norv, before Norv left. He was the third-straight by QB as well. It's most likely a myth Garrett picked anything, if but a little, from Norv.

He spent most of his time under Zampese and Gailey and the like, when Dallas offensive play-calling started to deteriorate.

Norv's offense was built on play-action and multiple combinations from the same formation.

Old Zampese. That guys idea of mixing it up was to run off left tackle vs right tackle. Horrible

I wrote this in another thread but.... So this morning on the Ticket they had a blip by JG. He was talking about how its like a baseball hitter who isn't getting on base but hitting it hard and bat after bat he hits it hard until finally things start working out. He was already on my nerves but now he is finding anyway possible to explain that they play hard...like all teams...and he uses this talk to mask his deficiencies as a coach. Honestly, I think the guy is a one man pep rally with bad cliches and that is it.

At least I respected Campo. He is just a better coordinator but he wasn't saying a bunch of bs.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Coach A Coaching Career A.... Prior to HC
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1971–1972 Central Connecticut (assistant)
1973 Albany (assistant)
1974 Bridgeport (assistant)
1975 Pittsburgh (assistant)
1976 Washington State (DB)
1977–1979 Boise State (DB)
1980 Oregon State (assistant)
1981–1982 Weber State (assistant)
1983 Iowa State (DB)
1984–1986 Syracuse (DB)
1987–1988 Miami (FL) (DB)
1989–1990 Dallas Cowboys (DA)
1991–1994 Dallas Cowboys (DB)
1995–1999 Dallas Cowboys (DC)

Coaching Career B...Prior to HC

2005–2006 Miami Dolphins (QB)
2007 Dallas Cowboys (OC)
2008–2010 Dallas Cowboys (Asst. HC/OC)

One of these things is not like the other.

Its remarkably sad and really explains most everything you need to know.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
How many people would be excusing Campo right now if Romo would have gone down.

Campos QBs
Aikman played 11 games goes 4-8 (retired). Goes out game #1 vs Philly as did Galloway.
Randall Cunningham starts the next 2 and goes 1-1
A Wright plays the final 2 games and posts a 0-2 record and ends with a Blutarski Zero Point Zero rating
Clint Stoerner also saw action

Carter game #1
Wright game #2
Wright / Stoerner Game #3
Wright / Carter game #4
Wright game #5
Stoerner Game #6
Stoerner / Leaf #7
Leaf #8, 9,10
Carter #11 - 16

Carter starts first 7 and goes 3-4
Hutchinson starts next 9 going 2-7

7 QBs in 3 years. They were miserable years, but I cant believe that record wouldnt have been 500 with Romo.

Does that sequence of knee jerk QB change and grasping at straws look familiar?

Campo would have been in the play offs with Romo. Parcels took the Campo team to the playoffs the following year with Carter as QB.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Campo is a joke. He just happened to be on some winning staffs.

JGarrett might be a good coach some day but he has run his course here. He says all the right things but I don't think he gets the most out his players. He wants to force a 90's mentality on today's game and that just won't work.

khiladi

Reaction score
Old Zampese. That guys idea of mixing it up was to run off left tackle vs right tackle. Horrible

I wrote this in another thread but.... So this morning on the Ticket they had a blip by JG. He was talking about how its like a baseball hitter who isn't getting on base but hitting it hard and bat after bat he hits it hard until finally things start working out. He was already on my nerves but now he is finding anyway possible to explain that they play hard...like all teams...and he uses this talk to mask his deficiencies as a coach. Honestly, I think the guy is a one man pep rally with bad cliches and that is it.

At least I respected Campo. He is just a better coordinator but he wasn't saying a bunch of bs.

Man, JG just blows smoke.. Hot air

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
It's getting irritating hearing this notion that Jason learned from one of the best OCs in the game. Jason spent one year under him, sitting behind Kosar, most likely because his father made a call to Jerry and asked that his Arena league son come on over.

If one wants to talk about Dallas an who he learned Coryell under, it most accurately would be Ernie Zampese, who was at the tail-end of his career. Jason was more a part of the organization on the down-slide, trying to patch holes.

He spent 2 years 92-93. You have to count the time he spent on the practice squad.

khiladi

Reaction score
He spent 2 years 92-93. You have to count the time he spent on the practice squad.

He signed in 1993... They don't have him on any roster in the CFL nor the NFL team.

That being said, he's not a disciple of Norv...

khiladi

Reaction score
No, he was on the practice squad that year.

That being said, once again, that doesn't make him a disciple which is the real point of contention. So he was on the practice squad because of his father and the other, as a the third-string backup while Norv happened to be OC.. He played under plenty more coaches for more time than Norv Turner..

If he was a disciple, he's also a disciple of Jon Gruden, Sean Payton and Ernie Zampese, as well as Chan Gailey, besides Can Cameron and Saban..

People affiliate him with Norv, because they want to affiliate SBs with him..

NumOneQB

Reaction score
I would put Campo over Garrett-top. Jerruh literally cut Campo's balls off in the public eye time & again. Combine that with some of the most ridiculous player moves during that timeframe. Garrett has seen the mildest form of Jerrruh no coach has seen outside of Parcells.

Bcrav4

Reaction score
I would put Campo over Garrett-top. Jerruh literally cut Campo's balls off in the public eye time & again. Combine that with some of the most ridiculous player moves during that timeframe. Garrett has seen the mildest form of Jerrruh no coach has seen outside of Parcells.

It really was sad and embarassing how he was treated. The media only ironically called it Campo's Cowboys and Camp Campo.

My mom still openly jokes that Campo actually thought he was coaching the team.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Campo's teams never had half the talent the Cowboys had this season even minus Romo and Dez. Of the Cowboys 4 wins this season 3 came with their franchise QB and a franchise QB is something Campo never had during his 3 year tenure as head coach. He was able to squeeze out 5 wins 3 straight seasons with an assortment of scrubs at QB.

The Cowboys entered 2015 season with what many felt was a SB contender and Garrett lost 10 games with a couple of veteran QBs that were arguably better than any of the QBs Campo had. Just go back and review some of the QBs Campo was stuck with Ryan Leaf, Anthony Wright, Quincy Carter, Clint Stoerner and Chad Hutchinson.