Garrett embracing the youth in critical year with Cowboys

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I hope this season is either we make the playoffs or have a train wreck season to get this staff blown out. sick of these 8-8 9-7 years where we dont get in the playoffs, get a **** draft pick, and coaching staff sticks around.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I have to laugh when I hear people say that Jerry is a "great owner" but a bad GM.......I respond by saying a great owner would have fired our current GM two decades ago.

In the beginning, he realized he couldn't do it on his own and he brought in Jimmy to do the heavy work. Then he though he could do it without him. 25 years later and here we sit basically 8-8 as we go.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't think Garrett is making the roster decisions.

They take his input, but the decisions to cut/keep/acquire players is primarily done by McClay and Stephen Jones.

Garrett would have given Witten a lifetime contract to stay and would have guaranteed that Witten would play 100% of the snaps even at age 45.

This has been well known for quite some time to most. And Witten quit. Nothing to do with Garrett. Unless he was convinced that the team would go nowhere with Garrett anyway and he might as well move on with the job.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This has been well known for quite some time to most. And Witten quit. Nothing to do with Garrett. Unless he was convinced that the team would go nowhere with Garrett anyway and he might as well move on with the job.

Witten quit because he got a multiyear offer from TV vs no guarantee that he would even be on the 2018 roster.

It is highly likely he would have stayed if offered a contract extension.

It is also highly likely that they told him that he would no longer play 100% of the offensive snaps. Teams generally tell veteran Star players what to expect for the upcoming season.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Witten quit because he got a multiyear offer from TV vs no guarantee that he would even be on the 2018 roster.

It is highly likely he would have stayed if offered a contract extension.

It is also highly likely that they told him that he would no longer play 100% of the offensive snaps. Teams generally tell veteran Star players what to expect for the upcoming season.

Yep, he quit.

IceBowler

Reaction score
I have to laugh when I hear people say that Jerry is a "great owner" but a bad GM.......I respond by saying a great owner would have fired our current GM two decades ago.

Didn't our current Owner admit that the current GM SHOULD be fired years ago?

lwehlers

Reaction score
I bet that if this team makes the playoffs and loses the first game the jones will extend garrett past 2019. he is the perfect puppet head coach that they can control. the jones do not care if they win a playoff game it the perception that they made the playoffs and say that they had a hand in the reason why garrett is the perfect head coach for this team.

T-RO

Reaction score
Memo: The Cowboys that won the Super Bowls in the early 90’s were a young team.

lwehlers

Reaction score
Memo: The Cowboys that won the Super Bowls in the early 90’s were a young team.

those teams were a young great players that had an actual head coach who know how to win a championship. the clown we have now can not even manage a game right in crucial situations and gets outcoached every year by teams like the packers who know what it takes to win big games.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Not sure why this is a critical year?

If Garrett has survived this long with winning nothing, he can survive anything. The only other coach in modern history that has survived this long with winning nothing is Marvin Lewis. Both are made of teflon from their owner. No year is more critical than the next with those 2 guys. I don't get it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Dallas FO loves JG with a passion that can't be denied and they don't try to hide it. Barring a 6-10 year or so, he'll likely be fine.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Garrett has survived this long with winning nothing, he can survive anything. The only other coach in modern history that has survived this long with winning nothing is Marvin Lewis. Both are made of teflon from their owner. No year is more critical than the next with those 2 guys. I don't get it.
“Winning nothing” is a subjective phrase.

Marvin has made the playoffs as many times as the rest in Bengals history after taking over from a dormant era.

Garrett already has the 2nd most wins in Cowboy history.

If you’re meaning of winning something is only measured by Super Bowls then there’s a slew of great NFL coaches who’ve never experienced that ultimate goal with long tenures. Here’s some that come to mind.
Bud Grant
Paul Brown
Don Coryell
Dan Reeves
George Allen
Marty Shottenheimer
Marv Levy
Andy Reid

Last edited:

nobody

Reaction score
I am sick and fedup with this team. But well... it is the team i cheer for.

Who still genuinely believes in this organization?

I don't believe in the organization, but I do believe in the passion of a lot of the players on the team. They might win despite the organization.

T-RO

Reaction score
those teams were a young great players that had an actual head coach who know how to win a championship. the clown we have now can not even manage a game right in crucial situations and gets outcoached every year by teams like the packers who know what it takes to win big games.

You know what’s pretty funny:
Jimmy Johnson career W-L record of .556
Jason Garrett career W-L record of .558

Fans live in mythologies of their own making...they repeat them in their heads...attach emotion...and it becomes cement in their head.