News: Garrett Explains Why Weeden, Offense Didn’t Take More Down-Field Shots

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
He may end up being stuck with the Weeds this week also.
I can't hate JG for thinking about the confidence of his QB when constructing his answers.
He is doing the best thing for our team by choosing his words wisely.

Trying to build up the guys confidence, imagine that. Clearly Weeden is the only option we have right now that has enough time in the system to drive the bus..

Hang on fans!!! Lol

Sydla

Reaction score
All this tells me is that I should buy a bottle of lube and get ready for another painful game this weekend from this staff and Weeden.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He may end up being stuck with the Weeds this week also.
I can't hate JG for thinking about the confidence of his QB when constructing his answers.
He is doing the best thing for our team by choosing his words wisely.

If Weeden is so fragile that he can't handle the smallest bit of valid criticism without a meltdown, then he shouldn't be an NFL quarterback, much less the current starter for this team. If you have to lie to the guy and tell him "everything's perfect" then he shouldn't be here. His confidence would have to be a house of cards that can collapse at any moment and who needs that?

superonyx

Reaction score
If Weeden is so fragile that he can't handle the smallest bit of valid criticism without a meltdown, then he shouldn't be an NFL quarterback, much less the current starter for this team. If you have to lie to the guy and tell him "everything's perfect" then he shouldn't be here. His confidence would have to be a house of cards that can collapse at any moment and who needs that?

It sounds like Jason Garrett understands the basic principles of leadership a bit better than you.
Satisfying rabid blood thirsty fans demands for heads on a stick is the fast track to losing the lockeroom and ending up a failure.

conner01

Reaction score
Spin. Romo would have torched those guys like marsh mellows. High corners of not.

Very true
But it's just not garret style to bash a guy in public
Weeden had opportunities to get the ball downfield and didn't take them. We seen that and the staff seen that, but they are not going to publicly point them out and I respect that

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Maybe Weeden is just near-sighted and can't see that far downfield.
That's more believable than what he's shoveling right now......

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It sounds like Jason Garrett understands the basic principles of leadership a bit better than you.
Satisfying rabid blood thirsty fans demands for heads on a stick is the fast track to losing the lockeroom and ending up a failure.

No, lying works so much better.

Actions will speak louder than any lies he can tell when Weeden is replaced within two weeks, it will speak more loudly than any lies Garrett can tell us. But then, he'll still get praised by those who simply lap up whatever they're given. Some people must enjoy being lied to, I'm not one of them.

superonyx

Reaction score

Actions will speak louder than any lies he can tell when Weeden is replaced within two weeks, it will speak more loudly than any lies Garrett can tell us. But then, he'll still get praised by those who simply lap up whatever they're given. Some people must enjoy being lied to, I'm not one of them.

Ask Mike Singletary how the "truth" is better.
Players and coaches have a brotherhood. Behind closed doors you can fight, curse, and rip each other a new one....but to the public you have each other's backs.

To lead men you need them to be willing to follow you. No one is following someone who throws his people under the bus.

They owe you nothing.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I'll ask again: Who really expects any NFL coach to walk into a press room and start spewing info? They do PC's because the NFL says they have to, but it does them zero good to fill the world with facts about their teams or sound bites of them bashing players. So they aren't going to. We can moan all we want about Garrett not copping to a strategy failure and not publicly flogging Weeden. It's never going to change. If hearing Garrett speak in boring cliche for 20 minutes bugs you, don't listen.

We can debate the wisdom of going into the season with Weeden a collarbone away from starting eight games, but I don't get the bashing of Garrett over having Weeden play conservatively in his first start of the year. Should the team have adjusted to the Atlanta D? Sure. But that's a lot easier to do with Romo and Dez in the lineup. Throwing short worked great in the first half and the team had an 11 point lead going into the third quarter, so I think the coaches probably decided that it was probably smarter to stay conservative than to risk throwing picks. In the end, we just didn't have enough horses, on either side of the ball.

dbonham

Reaction score
Man, I don't think we would have been successful throwing downfield to Williams this game. TWill had a bad bad game. If we aren't going to target Street ever might as well have Butler run 30 fly routes just to keep a safety back.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Players and coaches have a brotherhood. Behind closed doors you can fight, curse, and rip each other a new one....but to the public you have each other's backs.

To lead men you need them to be willing to follow you. No one is following someone who throws his people under the bus.

They owe you nothing.

:hammer:

I wish I could "like" this post about 1000 more times.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People need to re watch that second half.

VACowboy

Reaction score

I like you Stash, but, man, if a coach being a coach really pains you this much, mebbe you should take a couple of Sundays off. :D

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They owe you nothing.

Who's asking him to 'throw him under the bus'?

That an incorrect assumption only you seem to be making.

I'm asking for an honest assessment instead of trying to lie and looking foolish.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like you Stash, but, man, if a coach being a coach really pains you this much, mebbe you should take a couple of Sundays off. :D

It annoys me. But Garrett makes himself look like a fool when he tries to get anyone to buy this garbage. He's not alone in this, but none of the coaches look good when they're blatantly lying.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's naive to think what the HC says in a presser is the same thing he says in the QB room. But in this case, I don't think Garrett's coating his message all that much at all. The problem really wasn't Weeden.

They mentioned on Talking Cowboys that JG sought out Weeden at the end of the game to tell him specifically that he did a good job on Sunday. That's without a camera on and not something he necessarily felt he had to do. Coaches and former players are just more realistic about what you can do with a backup QB in this league. If you get a guy making mostly safe decisions and good throws to open receivers, you're not doing all that bad.

The defense, on the other hand, crapped the bed. And fans still want to give it a pass. We went through this the last two years, and I never understand it. I'm getting called a homer left and right, and I feel like I've been standing on a table pointing at the defense and saying it's not good enough the whole time. Then we start out playing really well the first two weeks this season and I get comfortable, only to see us cough up a nasty hairball this week and everybody blame the backup QB for a loss in which we gave up 40 points at home to a team on the second game of a back to back road swing. I feel like I'm living in bizarro world sometimes.