News: Garrett Explains Why Weeden, Offense Didn’t Take More Down-Field Shots

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's naive to think what the HC says in a presser is the same thing he says in the QB room. But in this case, I don't think Garrett's coating his message all that much at all. The problem really wasn't Weeden.

They mentioned on Talking Cowboys that JG sought out Weeden at the end of the game to tell him specifically that he did a good job on Sunday. That's without a camera on and not something he necessarily felt he had to do. Coaches and former players are just more realistic about what you can do with a backup QB in this league. If you get a guy making mostly safe decisions and good throws to open receivers, you're not doing all that bad.

The defense, on the other hand, crapped the bed. And fans still want to give it a pass. We went through this the last two years, and I never understand it. I'm getting called a homer left and right, and I feel like I've been standing on a table pointing at the defense and saying it's not good enough the whole time. Then we start out playing really well the first two weeks this season and I get comfortable, only to see us cough up a nasty hairball this week and everybody blame the backup QB for a loss in which we gave up 40 points at home to a team on the second game of a back to back road swing. I feel like I'm living in bizarro world sometimes.

Very well said.

VACowboy

Reaction score
It annoys me. But Garrett makes himself look like a fool when he tries to get anyone to buy this garbage. He's not alone in this, but none of the coaches look good when they're blatantly lying.

They do it every time they step in front of a mic, and it doesn't bother me at all. I'd rather he stretch the truth than throw anybody on the the team under the bus. I agree with Idg on this one, though. JG knows what he has in Weeden (which is a whole other debate), and considering Weeden's limitations and what they asked him to do, I think Garrett honestly thought Weeden did a good job.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
We would of countered that Ryan Julio connection with one of our own and burn the crap out of the clock
In turn give o ur defense time to rest. Our offense in the 2nd half was the reason we lost. Can't expect our defense to stop that offense when they are running on their last leg.

superonyx

Reaction score
Who's asking him to 'throw him under the bus'?

That an incorrect assumption only you seem to be making.

I'm asking for an honest assessment instead of trying to lie and looking foolish.

No you aren't. You are looking him to tell you what you want to here and what you agree with.
You are choosing not to believe what he is saying for whatever reason.

If he sugar coats things you are calling him a liar and demanding the truth.

You are coming across a little weak on this one.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
i don't know why anyone would watch a JG PC unless they have some skill reading thru the lines and catching subtext and body language because most of them are flat, boring and monotonous. definitely not at all like a Mike Tomlin PC.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They do it every time they step in front of a mic, and it doesn't bother me at all. I'd rather he stretch the truth than throw anybody on the the team under the bus. I agree with Idg on this one, though. JG knows what he has in Weeden (which is a whole other debate), and considering Weeden's limitations and what they asked him to do, I think Garrett honestly thought Weeden did a good job.

I find it insulting.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No you aren't. You are looking him to tell you what you want to here and what you agree with.
You are choosing not to believe what he is saying for whatever reason.

If you want to believe the lie that Weeden's refusal to look at anything over 5 yards wasn't an issue, you do that.

If he sugar coats things you are calling him a liar and demanding the truth.

You are coming across a little weak on this one.

It was sugar coating right up until he flat out tried to lie about it.

"To say we should’ve thrown it down the field more, I don’t know that’s accurate.”

Deep_South

Reaction score
Jason seems to have a distinction between "outside the numbers" and "downfield" Other than what is obvious, I'm not sure exactly how he defines them.

He felt there were opportunities "outside the numbers" but maybe not downfield.

superonyx

Reaction score
If you want to believe the lie that Weeden's refusal to look at anything over 5 yards wasn't an issue, you do that.

It was sugar coating right up until he flat out tried to lie about it.

"To say we should’ve thrown it down the field more, I don’t know that’s accurate.”

Haha..
How about you enlighten us on what you would have said if you were the coach?

You take personal offense to a coaches words at a press conference. It may be time to have the unhealthy obsession talk.

Like it or not the coach is giving people enough to get them to move on to the next question while avoiding saying anything that could hurt the lockeroom and anyone in the lockeroom.
Garrett has been around football his whole life and has played and coached at the highest level.
Media members are looking for stories to write. That's their job. JG's job is getting his team ready to win next weekend.

Take a deep breath and enjoy the ride. You don't know how many more you will get.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
im sure some people are defending Garrett, but i promise garrett, if he decides to go agianst Jerry and win a game, "Jerry wont mind"

CowboyGil

Reaction score
The offense and defense both stunk it up equally in the second half. I think the defense a little more. From near the end of the first half on, they gave up 25 unanswered points. Couldn't ask the offense to do much more without Romo and Dez. I feel like 28 points should've held up in a nailbiter.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Haha..
How about you enlighten us on what you would have said if you were the coach?

I would have told the truth. That the team's failure to drive the ball down the field hurt the offense. The same exact thing they're telling themselves privately.

You take personal offense to a coaches words at a press conference. It may be time to have the unhealthy obsession talk.

It seems that you're getting more worked up about it than I am. After all, you're the guy who continues to bring it up while trying to defend it and then criticizing me for somehow not liking being lied to?

Like it or not the coach is giving people enough to get them to move on to the next question while avoiding saying anything that could hurt the lockeroom and anyone in the lockeroom.
Garrett has been around football his whole life and has played and coached at the highest level.
Media members are looking for stories to write. That's their job. JG's job is getting his team ready to win next weekend.

Take a deep breath and enjoy the ride. You don't know how many more you will get.

I'm fine. I truly am. But I do appreciate your concern for my well being!

:D

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was pure lip service from Garrett....but what did we expect to hear.

8bc0f7bafbdf820ac36fd246c6c6d9d8.jpg

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Spin. Romo would have torched those guys like marsh mellows. High corners of not.

I don't believe that for a second. Romo with Dez would have torched them because the single high would have been on Dez, leaving TWill in man coverage, but with Dez out, our receivers are awful. The QB can't torch anyone...the receiver has to torch them and the QB find him and get the ball to him. If there was even one play where TWill was open, I wish someone would post it....until Dez returns, no team will allow anyone to torch them. They won't give up easy points. We will have to be methodical and accurate with lots of execution by everyone to sustain drives. Only an idiot DC would ever allow one of our receivers to get deep. When Dez returns, that back end will be even more loose, opening up the intermediate routes and freeing our #2, but no one is going to let # 2 get open deep when there's no one else to fear...so how would Romo remedy that?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Media members are looking for stories to write. That's their job. JG's job is getting his team ready to win next weekend...

This is it in a nutshell. The priorities aren't aligned. Garrett does a good job of keeping his clear. He even talked about how and why he has to approach it this way in the offseason, saying his first obligation is to the Cowboys and not to the media.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Brandon Weeden looked like Tom Brady when the running game was going, the offensive line has to do a better job from the 2nd quarter on in future games. Part of that I blame on penalties, part of it I blame on expecting too much blocking wise out of a banged up Jason Witten who wasn't his usual self from that perspective. I don't think the run game failed bc they stuffed the box, I think it was bc we got zero push and penalties set us back. That on top of our defense being beat up just set us up for failure. We have to hope for a bit of luck before the reinforcements come in on defense, bc you're never gonna do a lot better than 28 points with a backup QB.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
everyone wants to keep ripping on the defense, but honestly what do you expect when you're completely gassed because your putrid offense cannot sustain a drive to save their lives?

The defense had no reason to be "completely gassed" until they had already allowed 32 points and blown our 14-point lead.