RELEASED Garrett Gilbert Released

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe I'm wrong but he could make it through waivers and be on our PS...I'm guessing MM told Jerry to release him and give another team a chance to grab him and if no one does he will be the PS guy ...good news is this most likley means we see a new project next year...YEAH!!!
I had this thought too, but I'm not as educated on practice squad eligibility as I could be. The guy is 30 and on his 7th NFL team, mostly on practice squads, so it seems like even without playing much there would come a point a guy ceases to be eligible.

Paradox

Reaction score
This decision must have been made before the last preseason game. Because in that game, Gilbert drove them down the field for 80 yards and a score, then on the next possession got them into (long) field goal range before the half. Rush did nothing and he still won the job.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This decision must have been made before the last preseason game. Because in that game, Gilbert drove them down the field for 80 yards and a score, then on the next possession got them into (long) field goal range before the half. Rush did nothing and he still won the job.
Jerry gave it his media announcement blessing. It was considered a done deal.

Edited

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I had this thought too, but I'm not as educated on practice squad eligibility as I could be. The guy is 30 and on his 7th NFL team, mostly on practice squads, so it seems like even without playing much there would come a point a guy ceases to be eligible.

I was talking about the Nooch, and I'm in the same boat, no idea if Gilbert would be eligible. I guess I also have not looked at the salaries on if there is a Reason to have Nooch, Rush or Gilbert over the other on the PS if they grab a good vet.

Stash and some others probably know how this works and what makes sense on it.

Carson

Reaction score
only real hope would be that a team gave up on a young QB too soon and we caught him just as he starts to put it all together.
Sadly, they don’t seem to move on from players quick enough.

They will hang onto Rush knowing he is what he is instead of signing a guy like Foles or Will Grier